.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old December 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MOD: \"Pagan Slav\" nation

Planned stuff: that's what 2nd post is for. Check out "National Commanders" label in 2nd post.

I'd be happy to also include some kind of minor caster/researcher with 1S 1N 1F, but it could make Slavs too much of an astral nation. Too cost-effective communion isn't what I want for this nation. As it is, Vyedmas are the only astral mage (2) and they should be rather expensive considering their paths.
Old December 17th, 2005, 02:18 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Wow, you have really researched for your mod. That would take lots of time to read through... I can't comment on almost anything, but maybe I have the time to read through it on the Chrismas holiday.

Maybe you could consider going for Holy 4 on the keepers of the sacred fires, Holy 3 on the Vyedmas. This is mainly because the Slavs seem to have been very religious (e.g. not following a criminal to a sacred thunder-stroke oak).

You had there that Fire was most important, but some W, E and A could appear... Is it going to be on the same mage (e.g. some Fire and an elemental random) or on different mages?

I attached TGA's of Vanheim's Midgård theme's Völva and Galderman, and two sprites of the Furman. He is my avatar, and is useful both as a fur-cloaked base sprite and as an arhcers' graphics.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 397008-slav.zip (4.4 KB, 291 views)
Old December 17th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

Enderopez:

I'd rather have Keepers Holy3 at best, Vyedmas and others 2. Sure they were very religious, but there are no mentions of highly developed priests. Some sources say that for a while Slavs had no priest caste whatsover. Priests appeared a bit later, althrough still a long time before christianisation came. That's my reasoning for keeping Holy relatively low.

I think the witches will stay with their Astral Nature Holy. Holy is quite flavourful for witches; astral and nature are simply requirement for curses/charms/divination/fortune telling healing/shapeshifting/herbalism. And like someone said, (I think it was RR) giving witches 3 or more paths would make them too wizard-like.

I'm toying with new spellcaster idea:
Guslarz (or other less Poland specific name if I can find one)
Holy2 Nature1 ElementalRandom1

Guslarz is a word for minor(?) priest/mage. They would conduct village ceremonies at holidays etc.

A question: does Holy influence research speed ? It complicates matters if it does.
-------
One more thing. I just added some insightful quotes to the bottom of 3rd post. It makes some parts of my post redundant, but I may break something if I simply pull out overlapping parts.
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Holy does not influence research. It might also be possible to give negative research bonus, (like Witchdoctors) if you want to make certain unit worse researcher. I don't remember it having beet tested, but negative Forge bonus works.
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:54 AM

Private

prokonsul_piotrus is on a distinguished road

That's quite interesting. I see this is bascially for 'The earliest era' - what about developing something for the later era? I'd love to see something resembling the armies of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth: a non-barbarian cavalry based nation - with hussars (which should be the best cavalry in the game, causing fear with their 'wings'), overpriced pospolite ruszenie and obsolete infantry
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

Fear for hussars may be a little overpowered. I wouldn't go so far, but perhaps it could be balanced.

How about Animal Awe instead ? I don't exactly know how it works, but I suspect it's a kind of awe limited to animals. If you ever wondered why I suggested 'animal' flag for Dominions3 cavalry, wonder no more.

As for later eras... It could make sense to have witches gradually replaced with more 'conventional' priests. But yes, hordes of men at arms sounds interesting. The problem may be that cheap and useless infantry is nothing special among Dominions nations. Why would anyone use it ?
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Useless infantry would be rather useless, wouldn't it? And if you wanted it to be used, you'd have to make it useful.

Fast (map move 3) infantry with Forest and Mountain Survival, wearing light armor but well trained (Att and Def somewhere 11-14), high-damage weapon AND shield... I could try out a few things with that. It breaks the HI =1, LI & HC =2, LC = 3 rule (H-high, L-low, I-infantry, C-cavalry), though...
They wouldn't even be expensive resources, as those are based purely on equipment.
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

OG_Gleep is on a distinguished road

If you get the funds, its not too late. I just reloaded this game after almost a year of it collecting dust and am having a blast all over again.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:44 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, this sounds quite intresting, B0rsuk. At one point I myself toyed a bit with the idea of a slavic nation with heavy polish flavoring (winged hussars are irresistible )

This also reminded me of my finnic/kalevala based nation idea I have been toying with lately (again). In fact I can see some similarities, namely Perun, the wise men/women and evil water spirits. I've even drafted up variants for all three ages but I'm kinda at loss because my knowledge about finnish mythology isn't so strong in the end.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:03 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Ask Jurri. He seems to have a good knowledge of Finnish myths, at least to this American's ear.