.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 20th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \"MoD+Retreat\" defeated w/o killing caster

Given that it wasn't in the rulebook as a condition for ending a BE I don't think it was all that bad.
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:26 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

I for one am happy that the BF enchantment issue and the two movement bugs have been addressed. Most of the quirky things are still there.

I have not seen attempts to get things into perfect balance, but to make the game behave according to the rules it is supposed to behave. If it's violating its own ruleset, it is not a good thing. The three aforementioned bugs were the worst offenders. We shall see where it goes now.
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
I for one am happy that the BF enchantment issue and the two movement bugs have been addressed. Most of the quirky things are still there.

Addressed? My impression is that ritual of returning/retreat + BE was still working just fine.

Jazzepi
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:18 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Foodstamp said:
Yeah, this issue has really wrecked the community. I mean something like 3 whole people used the spell in MP games. Most (Really "most" is not even a strong enough word to describe it) of the pissing and moaning came from people who have seen many examples of bugs being abused in various multiplayer games, and have seen the damage that such exploitation can cause to the general enjoyment of the game, and to the livelihood of the community, through the actions of a few unscrupulous and inconsiderate players like myself
There you go, fixed your post.

I am very tempted to follow your lead and simply be insulting and self aggrandizing. But I see no need to debase myself to make you look like a fool, when you are doing such a great job yourself. Keep up the good work.

I think if you even paid the smallest bit of actual attention to the people you are surrounded by, you would not see me as some sort of ignoramus, or a "flavor of the month" kind of guy. Since you seem to want to portray me as such, it highlights how insulated you are from other people and their enjoyment, as opposed to yourself, and your own enjoyment.

It's okay if you want to live in your own little world, where the argument that "all programs behave as they were told, so regardless of intent, a completed project is finished and technically works as designed, which is always more important than working as intended". But it would seem that most of the people not only trust JK and KO to design the game in a logical and well considered fashion - and to agree with THEM, when THEY say that something is absolutely not working as intended, and to not only not abuse that bug, but to try to refrain from ridiculing and insulting those who feel that abusing an acknowledged bug is wrong, even when those who have a predilection for abusing bugs feel the need to ridicule and insult those who agree with the men who have actually designed this "quirky" and addictive game.
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jazzepi said:
Quote:
Edi said:

Addressed? My impression is that ritual of returning/retreat + BE was still working just fine.

Jazzepi
Until the next patch.
http://ulm.illwinter.com/dom3/dom3progress.html
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:26 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Nice.

I'm glad they've fixed it and made a definite rule on how these things work. BE spells will still be plenty powerful, you'll just have to put more thought into how you'll protect the mage.

Come to think of it, being able to control when a BE ends could lead to new tactics.
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Huzzah!

I hope "retreat" also covers ritual of returning, and the armor of virtue.

Jazzepi
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
JimMorrison said:
Quote:
Foodstamp said:
Yeah, this issue has really wrecked the community. I mean something like 3 whole people used the spell in MP games. Most (Really "most" is not even a strong enough word to describe it) of the pissing and moaning came from people who have seen many examples of bugs being abused in various multiplayer games, and have seen the damage that such exploitation can cause to the general enjoyment of the game, and to the livelihood of the community, through the actions of a few unscrupulous and inconsiderate players like myself
There you go, fixed your post.

I am very tempted to follow your lead and simply be insulting and self aggrandizing. But I see no need to debase myself to make you look like a fool, when you are doing such a great job yourself. Keep up the good work.

I think if you even paid the smallest bit of actual attention to the people you are surrounded by, you would not see me as some sort of ignoramus, or a "flavor of the month" kind of guy. Since you seem to want to portray me as such, it highlights how insulated you are from other people and their enjoyment, as opposed to yourself, and your own enjoyment.

It's okay if you want to live in your own little world, where the argument that "all programs behave as they were told, so regardless of intent, a completed project is finished and technically works as designed, which is always more important than working as intended". But it would seem that most of the people not only trust JK and KO to design the game in a logical and well considered fashion - and to agree with THEM, when THEY say that something is absolutely not working as intended, and to not only not abuse that bug, but to try to refrain from ridiculing and insulting those who feel that abusing an acknowledged bug is wrong, even when those who have a predilection for abusing bugs feel the need to ridicule and insult those who agree with the men who have actually designed this "quirky" and addictive game.
You pretty much did what you said you were not going to do in the very first line of your response. On top of that, you have made many more assumptions in this one post about my character and playstyle than I have about anyone.

It's a pity you think I am a cheater, self absorbed, and whatever other insult you said you were not going to stoop to. I am not going to try to qualify myself to you, someone I will never meet, and someone after that last post I could care less about on any level.
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM

Colonel

Strider is on a distinguished road

Do not continue with personal attacks. Anyone...