.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old June 13th, 2011, 11:35 AM

First Lieutenant

Renojustin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Expanded Nations Packs released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
What are the Reiksguard Cavalry stats and cost?- What makes them so good?
Are they better 1:1 than say, Bretonn knights of the realm or grail knights?

I did start an MP game with Altdorf but didn't have time to get far...
Well, they have 21 armor and 16 defense, lances, heavy cavalry attack, and most importantly, Awe. You also get 12 of them for 1000gp and 120 Resources, along with a thuggish commander. The large amount of high-bonus Standard commanders in the army means that they don't normally rout unless they're pretty much annihilated, too.

So they're not as good as Grail Knights at 1:1; however, they cost 2/3rds the gold and 1/7th the resources, and do not require magical commanders, all while fulfilling most of the role. And I think we can agree that Grail Knights are basically the end-all and be-all of cavalry.

WOW updated: they cost 0 upkeep.

Last edited by Renojustin; June 13th, 2011 at 12:04 PM..
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renojustin View Post

WOW updated: they cost 0 upkeep.
Ok after extensive testing this is not true.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:13 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the main point about reiksguard inner circle is the awe. Otherwise they aren't *that* special. They are purely inferior to the grail knight, but as said they are a bit cheaper than the grail knight. Grail knights are 120 gold per, with inner circle reiksguard being effectively a bit below 100. Grail knights of course have the nation-specific blesses with cool buffs attached too, and are sacred, so that definitely puts them far ahead if the bretonnia player has a decent bless in terms of overall power.

Empire's crossbows aren't that great just because they take a lot of work to mass. Armor is okay, but 99% of the time I'd rather have numbers than protection for crossbowmen. And the arbalest guys cost a bit more gold and use arbalests, which are kind of a double edged sword. The swordsmen are pretty much the most standout unit of the lot, but I would rather have, say, saurus infantry instead. Those guys are bruisers, and take pretty much no resources. They also beat f9s9 empire flagellants in equal numbers But yeah, I did win an mp game backed by hordes of empire flagellants.

Empire's biggest problems are really in early game, after that things start getting a lot smoother for them. But basically you have knights, flagellants, and arbalests to defend yourself with early game. And can't rely at all on magic.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:38 PM

First Lieutenant

I would think that the way to defeat Empire is with an early-mid rush with a heavy magic focus. Just hit them hard with magic and don't stop until you bring them to their knees. But Flagellents, Swordsmen (11 atk, 12 defense, 11 morale base with sword, plate, and shield all for 12gp omg), super cheap knights, and Marksmen make a ring of pure faith and steel around anything you'd be assaulting, and even their PD is pretty fair. It'd be a tough nut to crack and a VERY fine line -- you'd need just the right mages with just the right spells or they could match you act for act with 1-magic casters and alteration/evocation.

But once that magic starts ramping up, look out, because even the kitchen sink is not sacred and it will be flung at you along with everything else. And they can survive very well with low income because of excellent cheap troops that are extremely hardy.
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:42 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

In an SP game I see that Eriu sends to the Arena what looks like a slinger. When you check its stats it is shown to be a "mother of mountains" with stats corresponding to a pretender.

I have 3.27, ENP 1.02, CBM 1.84, Sprites 1.10 & BI resources 2.1. I can UL the turn if that be helpful.
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM

Corporal

Scaramuccia is on a distinguished road

This version of svarogia has name vila.tga and it is referenced as Vila.tga - this fails on Linux and, probably, on Mac.

Going to write script to find out similar problems in other mods.