.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:01 AM

First Lieutenant

Soapyfrog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MP Game - Yet another MP newbie game!

*Frantically flipping through reams of documentation*

Oh my god I am going to get thoroughly crushed aren't I?

*Leans over and sobs gently on the shoulder of a nearby Lava Warrior*
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:22 AM

First Lieutenant

Huzurdaddi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Takes about 5-6 turns to get rolling with a FoD horde, about the same time it would take to get rolling with, say, the SC VQ.
What the heck do you lead your summon troops with when you are playing mictain? Abysia has those nice, heck terrific, demonbred.

But mictain has ... uhm ... priests? Yokies. Slow *and* crushable via ranged. I mean they are soo well setup too. The super Mictain priest, cheap, sacred, and effective. The tribal king perfectly made to keep the people in line. But no leaders! YOKIES.

I mean I guess you could go the death route ( since they have some excellent early leaders ) but ... uhm .. where do you get the gems?

The only leaders that are summonable with blood are up at tech 5 unless I am mistaken. That's a long time to wait. There has to be a way, they are sooooo good.

Quote:
Oh my god I am going to get thoroughly crushed aren't I?
Not by me! I'm playing Pythium! No blood or death for me! I'd watch out for CheezeNinja though he looks tricky. And he is playing Vanheim with those tricky Vans ... scarry.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:55 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Huzurdaddi:
What the heck do you lead your summon troops with when you are playing mictain? Abysia has those nice, heck terrific, demonbred.
Any priest other than the regular Mictlan Priest, generally Priest King or Sun Priest: Put them in the back: Indies only fire at the closest target, which, if you're thinking straight, will be the FoDs. Since FoDs are tough, damage caused upon them is minimal....and then they eviscerate the offending archers.

The regular priests have a disadvantage in that they run out of useful spells to cast, then decide it would be a sound plan to charge the enemy with a spoon. This definitely will get them killed, plus they can't lead very many FoDs anyway.

This is very useful because the offending commanders are often right next to the offending archers, and neither the archers nor the commanders tend to move very quickly, and tend to be laggards to boot, the FoDs eviscerate the archers, the priest commanders huddling inside the archer pack, and then turn on the nearest target.....the regular field commanders staying behind their troops.

So the commanders get quickly eviscerated by the FoDs as well, and the battle is over as the indies all rout due to the deaths of their commanders.

Quote:
But mictain has ... uhm ... priests? Yokies. Slow *and* crushable via ranged. I mean they are soo well setup too. The super Mictain priest, cheap, sacred, and effective. The tribal king perfectly made to keep the people in line. But no leaders! YOKIES.
The poor strategic mobility of the priests is not a major problem at this stage in the game because you're expanding province-to-province anyway. Furthermore, the higher-level Mictlan priests can then search/build/reinforce on the move, and as the higher-ranking priests are all capitol-only, this also serves to get them out to the edges of the empire where they can perform more powerful sacrifices.

As for tech level 5, that's not as hard to reach as you'd think, even for the relatively poor researchers of Mictlan.

[ May 23, 2004, 02:56: Message edited by: Norfleet ]
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:20 AM

First Lieutenant

Soapyfrog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Huzurdaddi:

Abysia has those nice, heck terrific, demonbred.
Right... Demonbred. Terrific. Check.

*Takes exhaustive notes*

[ May 23, 2004, 05:20: Message edited by: Soapyfrog ]
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:34 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

The demonbred are great, but not available under Blood of Humans, which is a far superior blood nation than base Abysia: Basic Abysia has problems with lacking a good, widely deployable, cheap blood hunter.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:04 AM

Corporal

JJ_Colorado is on a distinguished road

Huzurdaddi,

I'd like to get in as Ermor.

Btw, the Mosehansen server is a great idea. I wish that I'd known how to use it for the game that we're in. PBEM is a huge hassle.

--John

[ May 23, 2004, 06:46: Message edited by: JJ_Colorado ]
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:21 AM

Corporal

Skolem is on a distinguished road

Hi, I would like to join as caelum, but I will be at a colloquium next week, thursday and friday, if we could make a pause then I would join. I dont know how to use the mosehansen server, so if you could explain.

skolem
Algebraic geometry seems to have acquired the reputation of being esoteric, exclusive, and very abstract, with adherents who are secretly plotting to take over all the rest of mathematics. In one respect this Last point is accurate. --David Mumford
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:33 AM

Corporal

Skolem is on a distinguished road

I forgot, only human pretender or only 10 pt path pretenders?
Algebraic geometry seems to have acquired the reputation of being esoteric, exclusive, and very abstract, with adherents who are secretly plotting to take over all the rest of mathematics. In one respect this Last point is accurate. --David Mumford
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:14 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
I forgot, only human pretender or only 10 pt path pretenders?
I guess the Arch Seraph is ok. I hope I don't get burned by that!

Quote:
I dont know how to use the mosehansen server, so if you could explain.
Never used it myself, but I figure it will be easy enough to figure out once we start. There may be one or two hickups at the start though.

Quote:
PBEM is a huge hassle.
Hey you are doing a great job!

You may be able to move our game to the Mosehansen server though, you could ask the site admin. And if so we could even have more than one turn a day
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:28 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Blood of Humans, which is a far superior blood nation than base Abysia: Basic Abysia has problems with lacking a good, widely deployable, cheap blood hunter.
True enough. Not being able to recruit any bloodmage what so ever outside of your home province is crushing.