.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old January 28th, 2017, 07:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road
Default Gotta AI problem here and I could use some help

This is mainly directed to fellow scenario makers.

New scenario from WW3 series is pretty much done for a while now, including 200x160 brand new map based on some satellite work. Long story short: I put quite a work to it.

But it seems I f*cked up a little bit.

First time for a while I decided to make a scenario where AI attacks from top to bottom instead of left/right.

First of all, AI ends turn with all vehicles facing right what allows player to score a lot of side shots, making this battle more pathetic rather than hardcore fun what I intended.

And secondly, AI seems to be following VERY strange paths or just driving around without any actual control over their own actions.

Can anyone help me to fix it? I would have it released and proceed to the next one, but testing is stuck for like 2 weeks now.
Old January 28th, 2017, 07:56 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gotta AI problem here and I could use some help

Don't think it will help but have you set the rally point to the top edge of the map for the AI side & the bottom for the player side.
Old January 28th, 2017, 08:01 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

SP has a natural order - left hand side plays Right hand side

- Retreaters will eventually head for their map side,, where they can exit.

- Off map artillery arrives from the player's map side, never top or bottom
Old January 28th, 2017, 08:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Try Johns suggestion and try using waypoints for the AI...Pyros wrote a "more detail than you thought possible" explanation of their use and limitations and it's in the Game Guild.

While I appreciate innovation and I wouldn't want to lose a prime map either.... North / South attacks are not highly recommended for all the reasons you have discovered. The game is designed to be played L-R and everything is geared towards that.

Not the answer you really wanted but......that's it
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

If I understand waypoints well, I should create waypoints every couple of hexes for AI to work correctly? Or is it enough to place couple of those, marking general direction?
I rarely use waypoints, particularly scenarios this size. I could use some help with it.

OR, but I guess that's pure fantasy, any chance I (or someone else) can "turn" the map?
Old January 30th, 2017, 08:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The short answer is yes but you really need to read Pyros write up..load the guide and search for "waypoints". It is VERY detailed but it's broken down into

The basic (very simple) "three five" waypoint method,
The advanced "three five" waypoint method and
The "Pyros" detailed formula

There is a bit more to it than just clicking a waypoint then moving on to the next

... I've re-written it a bit
Quote:
on clear terrain assign waypoint marks using this pattern:

Every five hexes distance you should click three times the waypoint tool on the same hex
No, you cannot turn the map
Old January 30th, 2017, 10:41 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I've done a lot of work with waypoints and can usually get formations to do what I want using Pyros methods, aside from the ongoing issues with vehicle vs infantry (or passengers) speeds. I usually use the editor to reduce vehicle speeds so the infantry can keep up. But this still doesn't solve the AI constantly unloading and reloading passengers issue.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 31st, 2017, 09:22 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Gotta AI problem here and I could use some help

The waypoints and AI suggestions from previous posts are worth exploring. There are a number of scenarios, some by Camo Workshop that are North/South or top/bottom orientation.

Check out #32 Counterattack at Khafji 2/91.

You may want to check your battle type. Also, check your VF and make sure all of them are on the map.

So, my suggestion would be to go back over the fundamentals and review a number of scenarios with North/South orientation.

=====
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:52 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

There may well be some Top/Bottom (North and "Top of Map" are not synonymous!) scenarios out there, nevertheless its not recommended practice.
Old January 31st, 2017, 06:17 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

I'll add some comments here.

I've never designed a scenario for exclusively top/bottom movement. I've done a few with flanking attacks from the top/bottom, and in those, I've used waypoint movement with fairly reasonable results.

Now some explanation of that. I use waypoints for the attacking force (computer controlled) or meeting force (computer), but not for the human player. I generally use Pyros method of waypoints, 3/5, 5/3 or what ever it is (five hexes/ 3 waypoints at end). With the CD version of the game, I've not had a problem.

Now, I'll mix units with way points sometimes with units coming in later waves simply controlled by the remaining objective points. Seems to work with me and doesn't annoy me as much, simply because some of the objectives may already have been taken. For those coming in later turns, I position them with the object of moving left/right.

As others have said, waypoints won't help you with how either side retreats. I imagine rally points may address some of that, but I still think the program will default (not my area).

I don't recall having an orientation problem with using waypoints in flanking engagements. I'll have to go back and check that with some of the scenarios I used that in. I think the program may still orient the vehicle towards the next waypoint, but again, I'll let someone with more program knowledge answer that.

One recommendation I will make is to do your maps and save them in the map file as a base. When you do your scenario design, you can select the base map, and further define it as you want. I know what it is like to spend hours on a map, then go right into a scenario without saving it. You might be able to re-open the scenario, deselect your forces, and try over, but that S*$ks. Been there, done that.

This is one of the reasons I love the Venhola program. You can get the terrain you want, then rotate the map so that you do a left/right scenario, regardless of the true compass direction. I recommend that program highly.

Best to you in working this out.

Tom