.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 19th, 2004, 02:53 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some New (Water) Spells

This is linked to oold discussion in which the participants agreed that Water has no useable high-level spells. The biggest is 5 needed for Murdering Winter, easily accesible by Water 3 mage who can forge the boosters him/herself.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Oh, now that I remember: there can not be Magic/Holy spell. Atleast it is not moddable... Would have helped T'ien C'hi with Celestial Summons, and been thematic to the Saber Cherry's Ice Age mod I have been hoping to put together sometime.

Liquid Form is very similar to Mist Form. It could be tested by modding Mistform to take W3 to cast. Level 3 is rather high, though, to be used by non-summon combatants.

[ July 19, 2004, 15:06: Message edited by: Endoperez ]
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Endoperez:
Oh, now that I remember: there can not be Magic/Holy spell. Atleast it is not moddable... Would have helped T'ien C'hi with Celestial Summons, and been thematic to the Saber Cherry's Ice Age mod I have been hoping to put together sometime.
Ah right. Actually, it could be a good idea to implement a holy/arcane casting structure, but I suppose that is too much trouble. Then bag the HH requirements on Holy Water.

Quote:
Liquid Form is very similar to Mist Form. It could be tested by modding Mistform to take W3 to cast. Level 3 is rather high, though, to be used by non-summon combatants.
You are right. Scratch that from the list.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Do not scratch it! I like the idea of Liquid Form! All other elements have protective spells, so I cannot see why Water couldn't have one that worked on land... And it would be nice for Water Elementals as well.

Short list of differences between elementals:

Fire has Fire Shield, and while it does not protect the wearer from the hit it might prevent another... And has the agressive feel of fire in it. Fire elementals have this ability.
Earth has protection in stone/iron/steel skin spells, all being strong materials and embodiment of earth in many ways. Earth Elementals have mid-to-high-level protection, haven't summoned them recently.
Air has both Mirror Shield and Mistform. They help one to evade the full force of enemy's attack, to distract them, but once they figure it out it will be broken. Air elementals are ethereal instead of mistform, obviously because they can not revert to physical state. I would like permanent mistform more, but etherealness is the next best thing.

Water elementals have many attacks, low protection and no real special ability, as far as I remember. Now that I think, I haven't summoned water elementals in DomII yet, so I don't know about their possible higher-than-normal defence, but they souldn't really be that hard to hit, only to damage... Liquid form of some kind would be nice.

[ July 19, 2004, 15:32: Message edited by: Endoperez ]
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:03 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do not scratch it! I like the idea of Liquid Form! All other elements have protective spells, so I cannot see why Water couldn't have one that worked on land...
Water does have a protective spell that works anywhere. Quickness boosts both attack and defense. The liquid form described below would be as powerful as personal luck, which would mean that water mages would now have effective hitpoints 4 times (with liquid form and luck) what they currently have, as well as quickness.

Quote:
I would like permanent mistform more, but etherealness is the next best thing.
A permanent mistform would necessitate a severe reduction in hitpoints, since that would reduce all damage to only 1 hitpoint.
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do not scratch it! I like the idea of Liquid Form! All other elements have protective spells, so I cannot see why Water couldn't have one that worked on land... And it would be nice for Water Elementals as well.

water has breath of winter as "damage" shield .
i myself find it quite nice .
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:07 PM

Private

SaTyR is on a distinguished road

Rituals:

-Lurker crab
Slow strategic movement, but "flying" in battle. High strength pincer attack. Stealth ? Low tech

-Old one
Giant tortoise battletower. High protection, slow, maybe trample (?) and/or high strength bite. Coral tower on top of the shield fires arrows. Mid tech

-Frost giant
Summonable "Niefel giant", maybe throwing iceblocks and with a Caelum like armor (protection depends on coldness of the province). High tech

-Ice men
(think vine men here), maybe with a chill effect ? low tech

-Poseidon's net
"Ravens fiest" on a water province, water magic variant. "Poseidon strings a mighty net across the ocean to catch the essence of the dead and dying warriors" or somesuch...

-Tears of the Mother
"Ravens fiest" on a land province but castable with a water mage. "Tears of the Earth mother carry the essence of the dead warriors along hiddens currents underneath the surface to the lab of the mage"...

-Ice fort
Instant fort, Watch tower type ? (and come on, it wont melt, it's MAGIC )

Battle:

-Hardening ice
Stoneskin/ironskin/steelskin variant for water mages, depends on the coldness of the province.

-Liquid tension
Air shield typish thingy. Low protection from arrows maybe (50 %) ?

I'll leave the cost in gems, needed paths etc. for you to come up with. I'm just throwing ideas around. I like Jotun and (gulp, might I be the only one ?) Atlantis and do find water magic a bit lacking on the ritual department. I liked the original ideas from the start of the thread. Water already has nice offensive spells AND quickness AND BoW, but there has to be a better use for water gems than clam hoarding.

First post (might be the Last, I'm a lurker by nature), great game btw. many a sleepless night have gone by with this one, thanks Illwinter.

(Oh, and sorry for the fetish with the ice, I'm Finnish )
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:11 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

i like the Poseidons net thingy
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:29 PM

Sorry, I don't understand how I managed to totally forget Breath of Winter... And while Quickness is not really a damage shield it is very useful, so another (low-level) damage shield might be too much for water. Yeah, I feel dumb.

About Mistform on Air Elementals: they have very low hitpoints, (lessers) something like 5 IIRC. Not sure about the bigger ones, but probably they follow the trend.
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:04 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road
Default Some New (Water) Spells

I am trying to compile some suggestions for new (primarily: water-based) spells here. Many suggestions by Lintman I tried to integrate. Your thoughts, addendi, and constructive cricitsm is very welcome!

BATTLE SPELLS

- Flood. Evocation 3
Range 20+
Prec: -5
Affect: 5+
Req: W3
Fatigue: 50-

A mage can channel waters into a sudden flood which can affect 5+ squares on the battlefield,
Units in the affected squares have a chance of being washed away.
All units in the area of effect are treated as being trampled by a size 3 enemy unit.
Aquatic and amphibian units receive an additional MR "negating save" against the effects of the spell.

- Torrent. Evocation 5
Range 25+
Prec: -2
Affect: 10+
Req: W4
Fatigue: 100-
Water Gems: 1

Similar to Flood, but more powerful
A mage can channel waters into a sudden flood which can affect 10+ squares on the battlefield,
All units in the area of effect are treated as being trampled by a size 4 enemy unit.
Aquatic and amphibian units receive an additional MR "negating save" against the effects of the spell.

- Sudden Downpour. Evocation 7
Range 25+
Prec: 0
Affect: 25+
Fatigue: 200-
Water Gems: 2

Similar to Torrent, but more powerful
A mage can channel waters into a sudden flood which can affect 25+ squares on the battlefield,
All units in the area of effect are treated as being trampled by a size 5 enemy unit.

- Noah's Revenge. Evocation 9
Range 50+
Affect: 100+
Req: W5
Fatigue: 400-
Water Gems: 4

Similar to Torrent, but more powerful
A mage can channel waters into a sudden flood which can affect most of the battlefield, Units
in the affected squares have a chance of being washed away.
All units in the area of effect are treated as being trampled by a size 6 enemy unit.

- Strong Currents. Alteration 4
Range 50+
Affect: 1 square
Damage: 25+ ap (fatigue damage only)
Fatigue: 20-

The caster causes a stream of water to surround and flood a small area; those within it will have to use all their energy to remain on their feet and not be washed away.

- Storm Currents. Alteration 7
Range 50+
Affect: 10+ squares
Damage: 25+ ap (fatigue damage only)
Fatigue: 100-
Water Gems: 1

Similar to Strong Currents, only more powerful. The caster causes a stream of water to surround and flood a small area; those within it will have to use all their energy to remain on their feet and not be washed away.

- Holy Water. Thaumaturgy 3
Range 20+
Affect: 1 person
Damage: 8+ ap (double damage vs. undead/demon)
Req: W2 H2
Cannot be cast underwater

The caster splashes an individual with holy water which burns with righteousness.
[Not too sure about the holy requirement here]

- Holy Ablutions. Thaumaturgy 6
Range 20+
Affect: 1+ squares
Damage: 10+ ap (double damage vs. undead/demon)
Req: W3 H2
Fatigue: 50-

Similar to Holy Water, only more powerful. The caster splashes enemies with holy water which burns with righteousness.
[Not too sure about the holy requirement here]

- Liquid Form. Alteration 4
Range: Caster
Prec: 100
Affect: Caster

The caster makes his flesh watery and liquid, and can absorb 50% of all damage from both physical and magical attacks with the exception of astral and fire magic. The downside is an increased fire susceptibility.

- Liquid Forms. Alteration 7
Range: 10
Prec: 100
Affect: 10+
Fatigue: 200-
Water Gem Cost: 2

The caster makes the flesh of some soldiers watery and liquid, thus absorbing 50% of all damage from both physical and magical attacks with the exception of astral and fire magic. The downside is an increased fire susceptibility.

RITUAL SPELLS

- Replication. Alteration 5
Ritual Spell
Cost: 10 water gems
Req: w4 S1
The caster chooses one stealthy commander in the same province to be the target of this spell.
The target's flesh will become watery and palpable, easily formed, and the target will find himself able to change his shape to emulate others.
This allows the target to sneak up to enemies as if she were their friends, allowing her to perform the "assassinate enemy commander" command as if she possessed the Black Heart.
[think: terminator 2]

- Dance of the Rainmaker. Enchantment 3
Ritual Spell, cannot be cast underwater.
Cost: 4 Water gems.
Increases Growth in a friendly land target province.

- Muddy Waters. Alteration 5
Ritual spell.
Cost: 5 water gems
Req: w3 e1
Flags one province of the caster's choice as a "swamp" for 2 turns. There is a chance that the
income of that province is reduced by 25%. Cannot be cast on sea provinces.

- Poisoned Well. Thaumaturgy 5
Ritual Spell
Cost: 7 water gems
Req: W3D2
This spell will poison all the waters of a province, causing sicknesses and despair.
Population loss will occur, unrest will increase, and there is a chance that any soldiers garrisoned in that province can become diseased. This spell is very effective in farm lands and plains, not very effective in swamps and wastelands, and uncastable on sea provinces.

- Harvest Rains. Evocation 6
global enchantment
Cost: 40 water gems
Req: 5w 2N
This spell will increase the supplies of all land provinces worldwide depending on the strength of the owner's dominion. There is a chance that growth can increase in these provinces.

- Summon Crocodiles. Conjuration 4
Cost: 7 water gems
This spell summons 3 medium sized crocodiles, amphibious cold-blooded animals with swamp survivability.

- Summon Yeti. Conjuration 6
Cost: 15 water gems
Req: W3 A1
This spell summons a large yeti, a commander with cold resistance and mountain survivability.

- Hidden Currents. Thaumaturgy 5
Ritual Spell. Can only be cast underwater.
Req: w4
This spell will allow a commander to move himself and his army to any distant underwater laboratory specially prepared for this purpose.

- Waterways. Construction 5
Ritual Spell. Can only be cast in a coastal province.
This spell will allow a commander to move himself and his army to a distant laboratory located in a coastal province specially prepared for this purpose.

- Summon Sea Nymphs. Conjuration 7
Ritual Spell, can only be cast underwater
Cost: 20 water gems
This spell summons 5 beautiful amphibious beings who will fight for your cause. They are so beautiful that mortals will hardly be able to strike them.

- Whirlpool. Alteration 6
Ritual Spell.
Cost: 15 water gems
This spell will cause a huge whirlpool-like maelstrom to appear in a sea province of the caster's choice. The whirlpool will surely harm any army found in that province and may sweep up to half of them away if they are unlucky. Strong swimmers and larger creatures may have a greater chance of avoiding death.

Thanks for your feedback