Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Wishlist doh! ..Self inflicted idiocy.... - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 12th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: doh! ..Self inflicted idiocy....

I've got one that ssj is quite familiar with, as he was my opponent. He had breached the walls of my cap and another fort. Of course I was going to defend my cap at all costs. However I no longer had the resources to defend the other fort and decided to cast vortex of returning to retrieve the mages and SCs I had there.

For some unfathomable reason I decided to give the vortex caster extra gems. So, the secondary fort was stormed, vortex was cast and those forces returned to the capitol. Then the battle for the cap was fought and of course the vortex caster cast the spell again ... with no cap to return to. It was an impressive act of suicide.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerius For This Useful Post:
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
I've got one that ssj is quite familiar with, as he was my opponent. He had breached the walls of my cap and another fort. Of course I was going to defend my cap at all costs. However I no longer had the resources to defend the other fort and decided to cast vortex of returning to retrieve the mages and SCs I had there.

For some unfathomable reason I decided to give the vortex caster extra gems. So, the secondary fort was stormed, vortex was cast and those forces returned to the capitol. Then the battle for the cap was fought and of course the vortex caster cast the spell again ... with no cap to return to. It was an impressive act of suicide.
This needs an animated facepalm .gif.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old October 12th, 2011, 11:04 PM

Captain

sansanjuan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post

V,
That was indeed a ten. However I think I may have you beat in shear volume as far as "dohs!" go. Here is another.

I have at least twice attached last minute turns... from the wrong game.

-ssj

"I yam what I yam" - Popeye
Old October 13th, 2011, 02:58 AM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
This needs an animated facepalm .gif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansanjuan View Post
That was indeed a ten.
Yeah, I really outdid myself on that one. Squirrelloid, that was when I subbed in to your C'tis position in Momentum 3. Other than that move I think I put up a good fight but I was just speechless when I watched the battle replay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansanjuan View Post
I have at least twice attached last minute turns... from the wrong game.
I think I've only done that once, but had time to receive the message that it was an incorrect file and send the correct one in.

Some other nice moves. Casting mass protection ... as Abysia (and no, I didn't cast a FR boosting spell to counteract it). I also really like scripting battlefield wide spells and then not giving mages the gems to cast them. Adds that nice bit of randomness to battles.

Here's one that's kind of embarrassing. Towards the end of YARG2 WL's R'lyeh attacked my Ermor. He was storming one of my forts but no worries since I had master enslave ready to go. You know, because it works so well against a bunch of mindless lobo guards and soulless and high MR aboleths. Guess I should stick to playing TNN/Eriu.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe View Post
Accidentally putting 80 Longbowmen on Attack Cavalry against an indie province.
I just know there will be a good reason, but why would you put archers on attack at all?
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:22 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

He didn't want to, he probably wanted them to fire cavalry instead but misclicked and didn't realize his mistake until the battle occurred.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

Ahhhhh, I had thought maybe there was some reason this would be good, you never know with this game...
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Major General

Figured I'd bump this since I just pulled off another one of my great moves - forge a bunch of things with no room in the lab. As an added bonus the few things that got forged were the cheap stuff, not the expensive items.
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

Oh, having come within 2 of filling, I had assumed that the lab-items would be "scrollable"...
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Corporal

Minor Kitty is on a distinguished road

I had 8 slayers as Abysia, used them to rip through indies. 6 of them were in the hall of fame, 2 of them picked up nice indie items.
So in retaliation against a war started by Tien Chi I ordered them all to their capital where I assumed their mages are. I noted that they had a Pheonix towering over their army in the scout report and ordered all 8 experienced slayers to assassinate. Surely all 8 assassins died killing the same immortal god in their capital.

Huge waste of 8 turns of capital recruiting, 480g, and a fleet of really good stealth-assassin-thug chassis.

And I felt extra stupid since I had the Phoenix as my pretender and I was suiciding him the entire game.