.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old April 26th, 2005, 04:10 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: List of known issues

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
... movement orders ...? Which sometimes results in behavior where it looks like you "move through" a recently captured enemy province.

For example, I had an army with 2 strategic move. I created a situation where they were moving through provinces in this order A->B->C. Where B was the only friendly province between A and C. I set that move order from A->C and then cloud trapezeed an enemy VQ onto province B to capture it. So to my surprise, on the next turn, province B was enemy, cutting off the travel route of the army... but the army had arrived in province C anyway...
Not surprising at all:
"Friendly" movement happens before movement into enemy provinces before battles ensueing from these movements. Therefore you army moved A->C, and not until the next step of turn resolution the VQ dropped in there and caused a battle.
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:12 AM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

But battles caused by magic are resolved before any ordinary movement, at least according to the written manual. Since the VQ cloud trapezed, her battle of capturing province B occurred directly after the magic phase of the turn, hence before any ordinary movement, including friendly movement! (Fires from afar also hit moving armies in their starting location.)

So whether it's a feature or bug is still quesitonable in my view, but from the manual I would expect to be able to interrupt normally moving armies by teleporters. Of course this is somewhat messy in the case of alternative routes...!

What happens if teleporters teleport onto the starting location of a moving army and fail? Will the army still move after defeating the teleporters? Will it even conduct an ordinary attack as ordered? Or will they stand idle? It is not clear form the manual, is it?
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Thematically, it's a little weird for an enslaved prophet to retain his original owner's blessing. I could see him still being a prophet (it's got to be a heck of a propaganda coup *g*), but is the original owner unable to revoke his blessing?

(mumbles: And if you give a Shroud of the Battle Saint, will he get both blessings? Will it have no effect, since he's already blessed? Will it overwrite the old blessing? Hm. Interesting experiment.)

Not sure why some Tartarians are poor-amphib and others are land-only. Didn't notice any particular pattern.

I'm idly wondering whether Mechanical Men should lose the body slot, or alternately keep it but have high prot granted by equipment instead of innately. A GoR'd Mechanical Man can use a Shroud or ethereal cloak and still keep the very nice prot, *and* all the innate elemental immunities. Very nice, other than the low hp.

AI should probably hold back on completing a Call God if the capital is currently held by an enemy and the AI cannot possibly move enough supporting forces in to assure survival. Rather pointless to call in a lone pretender who'll get killed immediately.

Enslaved units who die can trigger the "all friendly units are dead, so commanders retreat" rule. Slightly odd in the case of a solo SC with Nethgul, for instance; obvious workaround is not to use Nethgul except with large friendly armies, but it's still very odd for a Tartarian to quit the field based on this.
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:16 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Chazar said:
But battles caused by magic are resolved before any ordinary movement, at least according to the written manual.
Correct, chazar. I specifically used cloud trapezee to have the battle occur before friendly movement. Consider what happens if you cloud trapezee onto the army province? You will attack that army. But if you cloud trapezee into the middle province, the army will somehow end up on the other side of the VQ.

This leads me to believe that movement orders are calculated and enforced by the dom2 client, not the dom2 server. So the client checks if there is a friendly path A->B->C, sees that there is one and assigns a "move to province C" command to that army. Then, as long as the army isnt dead by the time friendly movement comes around, the server just automatically executes the "move to province C" order. I'm not sure how it would be achieved, but I can see that this is an exploit waiting to happen. All you need to do is somehow convince your dom2 client that your army can move from province A to province Z.

Quote:

What happens if teleporters teleport onto the starting location of a moving army and fail? Will the army still move after defeating the teleporters? Will it even conduct an ordinary attack as ordered? Or will they stand idle? It is not clear form the manual, is it?
I believe that all surviving commanders carry out thier orders, taking along whatever troops they have (left) under thier command.
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:31 PM

First Lieutenant

Huzurdaddi is on a distinguished road

Battle:

Mirror image renders the unit immune to area effect spells.
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:53 AM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

Is it immune or just that the area spell is (incorrectly) checking to see if it hit the unit or the an image?

This thread seems to have turned into a combination of the bug/wishlist thread...
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

A few entries have been added, most notably the matter of movement resolution. I am waiting for confirmation about area spells and mirror images, and I am not too sure about what to do with some of Taqwus' entries (namely prophets and Mechanical Men).

A section about the AI has been added on Arralen's suggestion. I think the items about the independents will also be switched to this section.

And about the thread itself: the important part of the thread will be the list, and not all the other posts, so posts on the thread should be fine (so long as the list does stay updated, or otherwise this thread will become the Buglist reloaded). Hmm, I should add a "last modified on..." entry to the name of the thread.
Old April 27th, 2005, 05:26 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Huzurdaddi said:
Battle:

Mirror image renders the unit immune to area effect spells.
I can confirm this effect. I had a squad of TC mages set to blast a set of Vans back to the stone age with quickened acid bolts (AOE 1). And tho they rained down acid bolts on the vans with abandon, no vans were injured and no mirror images were shattered.

I can't comment on what effects it would have on bigger AOE spells like Falling Fires/Frost.
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:23 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Interface Issue:

Undead Commanders do not accept troops

It is possible to give a scout (Scout, Spy, Black Servant etc. - something which does not have leadership at all ) "undead leadership 50" by handing him a "Rod of the Leper King". On the troops screen, you run into trouble, though:

(tested with Black Servant only, for obvious reasons)

- it is only possible to 'drop' troops on the commander by directly clicking on him, the big background square of the pic will not do.

- squad slots are not colour-marked for being able to receive troops, even if only one single undead troop is selected. Slots from "normal" commanders with undead leadership are marked, though.

=> therefore dropping troops in a squad slot which already contains some does not work, one has to drop them on the pic (not square) of the commander.
Pooling of squads is not possible therefor, unless one puts everything into the province slot and transferes everything back at once.

EDIT:
Haven't tested with "Crown of Leadership" (normal and magical troops) and "Sceptre of Authority" (normal troops), but it might be the same effect with the first and magic troops, if not generally with both...

-
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arralen said:
Interface Issue:

Undead Commanders do not accept troops

It is possible to give a scout (Scout, Spy, Black Servant etc. - something which does not have leadership at all ) "undead leadership 50" by handing him a "Rod of the Leper King". On the troops screen, you run into trouble, though:

(tested with Black Servant only, for obvious reasons)

- it is only possible to 'drop' troops on the commander by directly clicking on him, the big background square of the pic will not do.

- squad slots are not colour-marked for being able to receive troops, even if only one single undead troop is selected. Slots from "normal" commanders with undead leadership are marked, though.

=> therefore dropping troops in a squad slot which already contains some does not work, one has to drop them on the pic (not square) of the commander.
Pooling of squads is not possible therefor, unless one puts everything into the province slot and transferes everything back at once.

EDIT:
Haven't tested with "Crown of Leadership" (normal and magical troops) and "Sceptre of Authority" (normal troops), but it might be the same effect with the first and magic troops, if not generally with both...

-
I'm not sure, but I believe having seen (some time ago..) the same problems with a Scout given a Soul Contract, who was thus able to lead Demons (the new demons were created "in his squad") but with interface issues when trying to reorganize groups... And he was maybe even able to lead undead