.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: Your primary operating system at home
Other(specify) 0 0%
CowboyNeal 0 0%
Won't tell 1 0.62%
DOS 0 0%
BeOS 0 0%
Solaris 0 0%
FreeBSD 0 0%
Mac 19 11.73%
Linux 34 20.99%
Windows 108 66.67%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Operating System poll

HoneyBadger:

You can try Ubuntu install disc. (Or livecd from another distro). Ubuntu install disc is curious in fact that it runs the system first, using RAM only, and then gives you an option to install it to hdd.

Quote:
Uh-Nu-Buh said:
Caveat #1, I love the MacOS. I just dislike the attitude it often engenders in users, or the attitude of the general person it attracts: hoplessness in the face of adversity. Hep me, hep me, I cain't hep mesef! Contrast this to the attitude linux engenders/attracts: roll up your sleaves, sweat a bit, learn a lot, and get it done.
Unfortunately, this is no longer true for users of Ubuntu linux. Just take a look at their forums. They have problems with 'linux relying too much on commandline', demand graphical tools for everything, distrust, despise and fear the commandline, pirate games, and ideals of FOSS are least of their concerns. They demand a system that 'just works'. Next version of Ubuntu will use closed, binary drivers for hardware. Most ubuntu users won't notice, and ones that notice mostly don't care.
Nevermind little details like inability to use Search function on forums.
Now they went as far as discouraging from using commandline(read the first post from the sticky thread):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=286599

It should be called Ubuntu Windows, really. I'm going back to Debian as soon as Etch is out. I don't have *too* much against Ubuntu itself, but I can't stand the community, which has worst parts from windows and mac people (arrogance...).

If you want an easy introduction to Linux, try Ubuntu. You'll be surrounded by people who tell you what to click to make something run. If you consider yourself experienced linux user, use another distribution. Debian users, for example, tend to not only give you hints how to get somethin working, but also explain how it works. They make you learn and help you learning. Ubuntu is for people who don't like to learn.

To keep it from being 100% rant:
I really love how package management is done in civilised linux distributions. Ubuntu got it right, mostly because it's the same as in Debian. Once you try apt-get (or any graphical frontend like synaptic or adept) you'll hate the windows way of installing programs.
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

If I would recommend one distribution it would be Fedora. I've been using that since FC2 and it runs like clockwork (running FC6 now).
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I use Debian and have been thrilled. My servers have run for years without problems (and not a whole lot of knowledge on my part)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Sergeant

Archonsod is on a distinguished road

Windows XP at home and Solaris at work.

Wish Doms 3 would run under Solaris like Doms 2, though productivity would likely plummet.
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Esben Mose Hansen said:
Personally I do recommend Macs... to the truly computer illitterates. Windows for my-computer-is-really-my-console people, BSD for the I-learned-unix-in-the-70s-and-it-was-the-best-that-ever-was and linux for the rest.
Hm, guess it depends on your definition of true computer illiteracy. As a proud new mac-owner (got my 24" iMac last tuesday, still drooling) I've been happy with the fact that I haven't had much to fiddle in order to make this computer to work nicely. Compare to my experience with other OSs where nearly everything seems to be delivered half-finished with a motto of "configure it yourself". I'm well able to do such a chore, but to be honest couldn't care less...

But, to each their own and happy birthday EMH (I suppose that cake means a birthday or something)!
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Nahhh
My definition of "computer illiterate" is "I cant read the computer screen". Believe me I hve met many of those.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Corporal

Evil Dave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
atul said:
I've been happy with the fact that I haven't had much to fiddle in order to make this computer to work nicely. Compare to my experience with other OSs where nearly everything seems to be delivered half-finished with a motto of "configure it yourself". I'm well able to do such a chore, but to be honest couldn't care less...

That's my thought in a nutshell. All I gotta do is ask myself, "Which would I rather do, tinker with my machine configuration, or play Dominions?" Generally, the answer is pretty easy. And when it isn't, it's all Unix, all the way down.

But an almost on-topic question: for those who have dual-boot machines and copies of Dom3 on both O/S's, do you see any performance differences between them? Anybody even tried?

Have too may pretender files to keep track of? Use catgod to view them.
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
pwned
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:51 PM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

I wonder if "Your primary operating system at home" is a well-phrased question (in the context of the discussion). The last part ('at home') may skew results because of gaming. I've dual-boot (Linux/Windows) at home and bunch of Linux and Windows boxes at work. Of course, I do all interesting and exciting stuff at work and my home computer mostly relegated to games, which, naturally, makes Windows a primary OS
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Ive never liked dual boots (altho I havent tried any in a long long time). Ive always had an old computer I could put linux on which operated as least as well as my new desktop with windows on it.