.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old September 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default DAR: USSR vs Germany 2

USSR vs. Germany

Mission: Advance, Korosten, USSR, 7/1941 - scattered objectives.

Enemy: Reinforced Company Strength – 1 Tank Plt, 1 Infantry Co (+), 1 Artillery Sec., plus ATG and AAA. Strike aircraft possible. Average force experience, ~75.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. Fairly open map with a number of medium sized low hills and one large level 20 hill in the enemy deployment zone. The edge of the level 20 has a few areas of rough ground. Trees are in clustered groups roughly 500m across and might account for about 20% of the total space. Only one group of trees can be classified as dense. All the others are loosely packed, with many small clearings. The open areas are dominated by tall grass. Starting in the southeast corner is a stream, which winds its way generally northwest until it forks about 300m from the north edge and both forks exit. Bordering the stream are trees, rough and swamps. There are no man-made features on the map. Visibility = 90.

Troops: Battalion Strength – 1 Armor Co. (6xT26 1939, 4xT26 M1931), 3 Infantry Co., 1 Support Co (3xHMG sec., 2x45mm ATGs, 2x82mm Mort. sec., 1xBA6 AC, 2xScouts w/trans., 1xEng. Plt, 1xAAMG sec. and 2xSupply Trucks). From Support Points, 4xScouts. Average force experience, ~75.

Time: 41 Turns

Analysis

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the map was how the objectives, although scattered, seem fairly densely packed. It might be just my impression.

The level 20 hill does provide long range visibility of the map, but the majority of my force will be infantry. They can get pretty close without being spotted. With the high visibility, vehicles will kick up a cloud of dust where ever they move anyhow. I can use the AIs tendencies with respect to dust to my advantage here.

One thing that will play into my deployment is the stream. Any vehicles that will actually be used to advance on the enemy will deploy west of the stream. I don't want to have something I need get mired trying to cross. This means they will be in the southern part of the map.

Strength and force composition will play a major part of this battle. I might see a few German tanks, but no more than one platoon. Maybe not that many. Enemy infantry is likely to be a reinforced company; somewhere between 15-20 squads. Each of my infantry companies will be dealing with roughly six enemy squads each. All artillery should be on board and not much of it. Off board artillery is expensive and can't hold ground.

Plan

The first part of my plan is more of a special operation related to deception. One thing the AI likes to do is call in artillery on dust trails. With this in mind, my scouts will go without their rides for this battle. My Komsomolets (spelled correctly this time ) will stay east of the stream and run around, intentionally kicking up dust. IF the enemy targets them, I will counter battery will my mortars and try to take them out of the battle before it really starts.

Since my mission is an Advance, I've mapped out axes of advance for each of my infantry companies. Each one has two objective areas, which are shown on the Battle Plan map. Once all companies have made it to their first positions, they will all move out toward their secondary positions. Two scout teams with each company will push out in advance to try to identify enemy positions.

Support Company machine gun and ATGs will take up over-watch positions, primarily to be able to put fire on the large hill and the center of the enemy positions. Primary targets for ATGs will be any enemy tanks visible and will find positions to best enable them to engage such targets.

Armor units will be maintained in reserve until any enemy armor units are located. At that point, they will begin to maneuver against them. Once this begins, primary targets for all other units will be those with long range tank killing capability, aside from enemy tanks.

I've attached a map with my basic plan outlined on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battle Plan.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	10498  
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:23 PM

Captain

Default Re: DAR: USSR vs Germany 2

Turn 0 (Prep Fire)

No prep fire by either side.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero.

Enemy: Zero.
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:24 PM

Captain

Turn 1 thru Turn 8

All units advancing according to plan.

Casualties

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:26 PM

Captain

Turn 9

Enemy took the bait on the special mission, finally. Three rounds of 75mm fell on the dust trail of my two Komsomolets. Unfortunately, three rounds doesn't create enough smoke to be spotted.

Casualties

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:36 PM

Captain

Turn 10

More artillery coming in, but not enough to put up a cloud of smoke. The idea was fine, but the tube the Germans are using is just too small.

Positional update for my infantry companies:

Alpha - 1000m ESE of A1
Bravo - 400m E of B1
Charlie - 250m E of C1

No enemy units have been spotted.

Casualties

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM

Captain

Turn 11

Enemy artillery still chasing the decoys, but nothing spotted.

No enemy units have been spotted.

Casualties

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:51 PM

Captain

Turn 12

One enemy artillery piece spotted, visually!! I've been looking for them tucked along the back edge of the map. This one is in the rough on the level 20 eastern edge of the large hill.

Lead squad of Bravo fired upon by a hidden machine gun. It popped smoke to cover its position. The fire seemed to come from someplace on the large hill.

Casualties

Old September 19th, 2010, 11:03 PM

Captain

Turn 13

Found three enemy squads in various places the hard way.

Charlie was starting to move into C1, one opened up from the far side. Smoke popped and the firing stopped. Enemy was engaged later by one HGM team from support.

One Bravo scout stumble on to two enemy squads, taking two casualties in the progress. A whole bunch of support machine guns opened up on one cutting its size in half.

Mortars plotted on the enemy howitzer. My FO has eyes on the target.

Casualties

Friendly: Two casualties.

Enemy: Six casualties.

Last edited by RERomine; September 19th, 2010 at 11:27 PM..
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:15 PM

Captain

Turn 14

Charlie engaging two enemy squads around C1. Support machine guns can't see them so Charlie is on their own. One enemy squad running, but the other one his holding. Unless it has company, it should be overrun next turn.

Bravo continuing to move forward, leaving the dirty work of dealing with two enemy squads just northwest of B1 to support guns. They've done well. Both are running.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 casualties.

Enemy: Estimated 10 casualties.
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:27 PM

Captain

Turn 15

C1 is crawling with Germans. At least one platoon in there. Calling in light mortar fire to suppress them before pushing further in.

Bravo catching some fire from MG-34 and small arms from the northwest. Spotted another squad and sent it running, but that MG is still hidden.

Alpha pressing ahead faster. Since Bravo and Charlie are running into quite a bit of contact, Alpha's sector might be clear. Scouts out front haven't spotted anything.

Mortars hit the enemy howitzer. Will adjust and hit again.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 casualties.

Enemy: Estimated 5 casualties.