.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old August 14th, 2002, 03:01 AM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road
Default Who\'s going to buy?

I'm on the fence with this one. I was ready to get it but after playing the demo I'm having second thoughts. The price seems high to me, and I'm not so sure I won't get bored after awhile.

I have some issues with the inventory and a few other things. I'm thinking of waiting a bit but the $4 off for getting it now is very nice. Lack of Posts in this forum is a little scary this game like RuneSword/SE4 (which I own) is all about the community and what people make to add to it.

What do you guys think. Who is going to buy/has bought this game now? Someone help to push me off this fence
Old August 14th, 2002, 06:15 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who\'s going to buy?

I think I might buy this game. Although I usually don't get involved in RPG games like this, from the looks of the game I think my wife might enjoy playing it...so it'd be something we could play together.
Old August 14th, 2002, 06:30 AM

Private

atholbrose is on a distinguished road

I'm on the fence as well. At first, when I was playing the demo, I was thinking "Oh, yeah, this could be fun!" But I think the price is too high by about $10, so I'm waffling.
Old August 14th, 2002, 06:32 AM

Private

Verigen is on a distinguished road

I will but only because I enjoy the thought of modding it. I have yet to see an easily modable RPG. Even though the graphics are poor and the inventory setup stinks I think that it has potential to be the best (or at least easiest) moddable "RPG maker" to date. Those that I have used in the past take forever to use. This one has most things ready made.
Old August 14th, 2002, 04:37 PM

Private

Mysterial is on a distinguished road

I'm probably going to wait until other people have the full Version and see what they think first. Besides moddability I didn't really see any stand-out features.
Old August 14th, 2002, 07:26 PM

Private

McBane is on a distinguished road

I ordered the game already. I agree that the inventory system needs work, but I am confident that it will be improved one way or another. I actually like simple graphics as long as they are clean, clear, and bright like they are in DO. It looks like there is a full Diablo 1/2 random magic item system, judging from the items I have found after playing the demo to completion several times, which is nice in a game of this type. Ultimately, DO will succeed or fail based upon how modable the game is. Although I like the current character types, each with their own unique special skills and spells, I would like to be able to add a range of "darker" characters such as necromancer and assassin, including, of course, their corresponding unique special skills and spells. Multiclass characters, and jack-of-all-trades characters (have all possible abilities and spells to choose from, at the cost of 1/2 pts obtained for each level), should also be added if possible.

The feature that is most needed is a reputation system that affects how NPCs react to you (depending on their alignment). This is needed in order to be able to more easily make modules that could be won in three or more ways: good, evil, and neutral (and perhaps mixtures of those three basic paths). It would be best if a more complex virtue system was implemented, but that is probably asking for too much.
Old August 14th, 2002, 08:18 PM

Private

McBane is on a distinguished road

I finally got around to looking at the files in the demo. It looks like DO will be VERY easy to modify, in dramatic ways. There should be no problem in adding the character classes I proposed in my Last post, including the jack-of-all-trades character (unless there is a hidden limit for the character file length). I don't see any obvious ways of adding an alignment system, but of course I don't have access to the mod manual. I have many ideas for what I want to add to my module. (I want to create a very dark module. I think I see a way to make twisted use of the stats so that, for example, your character can or has to feed on the souls of those he kills.) This looks like it will be the first game that I actually bother to mod myself.

For those gamers undecided on purchasing the game, I suggest taking a look at the different data files in the demo and consider what can be changed and added in making your own modules. Remember, because each time you start a module again, a (semi)-randomized adventure is created, you can create your own module and enjoy playing it because of the randomness. The plot-line may stay the same, but how you solve it can depend on how the adventure is randomly created, if it is set up cleverly. I think that you will find that DO provides the basis for the creation of many fun and very different adventures. I predict that DO will be well worth the asking price.
Old August 14th, 2002, 08:42 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

I think that is what is going to drive DO sales. The ease of moding will result in a large amount of user mods, which will result in a high replay value, which will increase sales. It's a forumla that has worked very well for Malfador with Space Empires IV, and it makes sense that they have tried to tap into it with a new game.

Geoschmo
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:58 PM

BANNED USER

disabled is on a distinguished road

lol.. A thought.. pre-ording a download copy....
Old August 15th, 2002, 04:39 PM

Private

JJ Sonick is on a distinguished road

I've preordered a copy. I agree with the comments that DO looks like it'll be the easiest-to-mod rpg game yet. Without that aspect, indeed, it'd just be a decent old school rogue-like (with some inventory issues.) But with the randomization + modability (a word?), it seems like it'll have a long shelf life. It's true RSII has both these features, but it looks like the time involved in creating a new "world" from scratch will be immensely shorter with DO.

All in all, I'm expecting to see lots of creative things come out of the mods to it, including some mods of my own hopefully.