.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:37 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default FAQ Discussion & Submissions

This thread is intended for discussion of the FAQ thread and making suggestions for additions, corrections and clarifications to that thread. Its function is similar to the function of the Bug Discussion thread in relation to the Bug Shortlist.

Last edited by Edi; August 19th, 2008 at 02:28 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FAQ Discussion & Submissions

Quote:
A strong Astral bless can be powerful, especially if combined with a strong Water or Fire bless. A weak Astral bless is generally considered to be very weak while a weak Air bless can be fairly useful and a strong Air bless comparably less so.
What's useful about a weak air bless? A 20% air shield is pretty worthless. It's nice being able to build air boosters, but that's about it.
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM

A weak air bless varies from 20% to 40% in effect, depending on how much air you actually have. If you have shieldless sacred units, even 20% and 30% air bless will have a marked effect on how badly they get mauled by archers, but if you're going for some otehr magic as the main bless, you are likely not going to be able to get A9, in which case the weak blessing is useful. Doesn't cost too much, still offers a benefit and you have points for something else (scales, dominion, whatever).

But as stated, this thread is for discussing the merits or lack thereof of what is included in the FAQ. If that particular section gets a lot of more experienced people's hackles up, it can be removed.
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:04 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Any way you could tone down the hostility in that FAQ a bit? I understand getting annoyed if people don't read it and keep asking the same questions, but what's the point of coming across hostile when they're doing the /right/ thing by actually consulting it?

Anyway, how about this?

Q: I like Dom3, but sometimes I wish X or Y was a little different. Is there any way I can alter the game?

A: There sure is. Check the docs subfolder in your Dom3 install - there's a pretty handy modding manual in there that explains step by step how to make game altering mods. You could also drop by the modding forum for more info and mods made by other fans.
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Yeah, a more friendly tone is better suited.
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Sombre, Deads, point taken. Done.

Sombre, that's a great one. I'll wait and see if we get any more submissions, then they can be added all at once.
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

*Submission*

Turns and Time
Q: How how is time counted?

The basic unit of time in Dominions 3 is the turn. A turn is equivalent to one month of the Gregorian solar calendar. There are 12 turns in a year, and 3 in a season.

While there are no smaller units of time in Dominions 3 besides the turn, there are larger units like years and seasons. Each of these years is divided up into four seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. Each season is divided up into three sections: Early, Normal, Late.

All games begin by default in Normal Spring of the first year (the 2nd season of Spring). Once 11 turns have been taken a regular game enters into Early Spring of the second year. From that point on it takes 12 turns to reach year 3, then another 12 to reach year 4, etc. etc.

Jazzepi
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Just a note, I think if you're going to have an entry in the FAQ, it should actually answer the question, not point to somewhere else.

Case in point.

Q: What are the bless effects?
See the manual section on blessings.

I think this should either be removed, or modified to provide some actual information.

Also, hostility again.

Q: Why can’t I build enemy national units from castles I’ve conquered from him?
Because the developers did not want that in the game and to keep all nations unique. You can only recruit your own troops and the native population type independent units in castles. *Before you ask, no, this is never going to be changed.*

The part in stars should be removed. I don't think I need to even state the reason!

Jazzepi
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:03 PM

The reason why the bless effects refers to the manual is that I really cannot be bothered to explain every single, most basic mechanic of the game in the FAQ. It is supposed to answer those questions that most often crop up due to having inadequate, unclear or hard to find explanations in the manual. If someone needs to ask what the bless effects are, they probably did not read the manual or they do not even have one. There's only so far I will go with the handholding. If somebody provides me with a ready list of effects that I won't have to type up for that one, it's a different matter, but am I going to type that up? Be a cold day in hell when I do.

Also, I have a hard time seeing what is hostile about the recruiting enemy unit types question. The answer preempts the next question that is asked 90% of the time and does not do it in a particularly rude manner. I suppose if it really offends a lot of people, I'll chop the "Before you ask, no," out of it.
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sandman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A weak air bless varies from 20% to 40% in effect, depending on how much air you actually have. If you have shieldless sacred units, even 20% and 30% air bless will have a marked effect on how badly they get mauled by archers, but if you're going for some otehr magic as the main bless, you are likely not going to be able to get A9, in which case the weak blessing is useful. Doesn't cost too much, still offers a benefit and you have points for something else (scales, dominion, whatever).
That's still pretty weak. 130-odd points for a very situational bless that's only applicable to a few nations. Unless you need the air for forging or an SC strategy, it's surely better to take stronger scales and field larger armies.

I also agree that the hostility should be removed. One entry for curse only, no patronising 'follow-on' questions.