This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Conquest of Elysium II

Closed Thread

Old March 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why can't you ever make a fantasy TBS with modern graphics and UI ?

Why? They are so much fun.
"Just what I always wanted. My very own bunny rabbit. I will hug him,
and pet him, and squeeze him, and name him George."
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM

Private

Campaigner is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down People get angry when you criticise their favorite game....

Quote:
So, essentially you're a whiny little brat with an entitlement complex? Because, to put it bluntly, that's exactly the way you sound.

"Waaaaahhh! How dare they not cater to my exact desires, even though I didn't even bother to check into what they were doing or give feedback?! How dare they develop a game without hiring an entire team to do high end graphics at great expense to satisfy my sense of entitlement?"

That's what your argument basically boils down to, now that I've seen the reply. You came in assuming things and demonstrating you know nothing about software development and then went off on a half-cocked tirade on that basis.
Dude, WTF??
I don't know HOW you gotted that BS from my post but you seriously need to FIX your interpretionskill on understanding written posts cause yours is useless!

I never said a goddamn thing about that Illwinter should make a game on how I want it!
I'm saying that I'm frustrated that they make games with designchoices I don't enjoy and am puzzled as to why their graphics are ancient!

I had no idea about this game until your advertisingpost on AoW Heaven. And it doesn't matter ONE BIT if I knew about the game beforehand or not! Why should it??
I read your thread on AoW heaven, saw some youtubevideos of the game and decided to ask why the game is the way it is!

And you shouldn't need to know a damn thing about softwaredevelopment to ask why a game is the way it is!

Quote:
You're also complaining how mods should not be needed to make the graphics look better, so what is your take on the likes of Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and a truckload of other games where the stock graphics look like crap and graphics added via mod make everything look much better?

As far as the porting to Linux or Unix goes, with regard to Illwinter, you have that arse-backwards. They develop their games on Unix, then port them to Windows and Mac.
By saying I'm "complaining", you make it sound like I'm *****ing and being annoying. But nice wordplay there.

QUESTION TO EVERYBODY: Do you believe that mods should be needed to improve graphics..?

Never played any Elder Scrolls games, but I can't agree any of'em look like "crap" (I'm detailed in what I say and 'crap' would be like max a 2 out of 5).
I'ts good that people do that.

As for porting, completely irrelevant to me.

Quote:
And your admission on just how much you actually seem to know about AoW mechanics and the comparisons you make with CoE3 mechanics, are you kidding me? "I've tried FC, but never bothered to analyze it." ROFLOLOLOL!

Here's a hint: There's a big effing article at AoW Heaven, based on this thread, which goes on at some length and has some serious discussion by people who know what they are talking about.
I don't give a damn about FC so why should I care about it??
I know a great deal about AoW mechanics except for FC (which I don't care about).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Seriously, if the high end graphics are that much of a make or break issue, why don't you stop beating this dead horse, sod off and go look into something like Masters of the Broken World or other things. That one even uses a hex grid.

Although if you want to find out current information, have fun learning Russian, since there's almost nothing on the English language internet on that except a previews.
....So by discussing with you CoE III fans I'm "beating a dead horse"??
OK! So then you should only ever praise games you like and NEVER ask other communities why some games are a certain way and why they won't change.

Don't worry, I'm not getting this game cause being in this community with complete dicks like YOU is something I would never stand!

....Outside of politics, this is the first time where somebody I at first had a friendly discussion with becomes a complete dick after only four posts....congrats to the record

I've seriously never been so disappointed in my life at somebody on the internet.

Gandalf,

So you're saying that Illwinter will never grow into a size where they will be able to make games to compete with Age of Wonders, Warlock, Fallen Enchantress and the like.
OK. I understand.

Real jobs you say? So making games isn't a "real job" huh?? I think you just upset a whole branch of people there.

Yeah, people have asked me why I don't become a computertechnician but there are so few places to work where it will actually be FUN. I've learned during my internships that in that branch some jobs are so friggin dull I would feel sick working at those places.

Gandalf and samoht,

So people that come to your precious little community and ask why the games look old & outdated are classified as trolls....OK.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: People get angry when you criticise their favorite game....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campaigner View Post
Gandalf,

So you're saying that Illwinter will never grow into a size where they will be able to make games to compete with Age of Wonders, Warlock, Fallen Enchantress and the like.
OK. I understand.

Real jobs you say? So making games isn't a "real job" huh?? I think you just upset a whole branch of people there.
Real job as opposed to hobby. Ive made a living off of programming in the past. And I got abit of satisfaction from it but it was NOT like a hobby. It was like work. Everyones hobby is someone elses job. I dont belittle any of them. I just differentiate between the two.

Quote:
Yeah, people have asked me why I don't become a computertechnician but there are so few places to work where it will actually be FUN. I've learned during my internships that in that branch some jobs are so friggin dull I would feel sick working at those places.
Then you do understand. If they were doing it as work, then telling them how to do that better might have an effect. But if they are doing it for fun and hobby then it works much better to praise and request and make it fun. Telling them that they should make work out of it, not so much.

Quote:
Gandalf and samoht,

So people that come to your precious little community and ask why the games look old & outdated are classified as trolls....OK.
I dont remember. Were you called a troll when you asked questions? Were you called a troll when you voiced your opinion? Or were you called troll when you tried to declare absolute facts as if all of the world agreed with you?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:47 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road
Laugh Troll gets mad when you call him a troll.

Quote:
Trolls recognize trolls. And you my dear friend, are a troll. And this post gives you one bonus troll point. It is a freebie from one troll to another. http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue9/troll1.html

If I had any doubt about your intentions this "Ok, if you don't value immersion then so be it." took it away. Well played, but a little bit to obvious.

And you really overplayed your hand with the last post. Try a little bit more subtle the next time.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453

Last edited by Soyweiser; March 4th, 2012 at 10:59 PM..
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: People get angry when you criticise their favorite game....

Quote:
Dude, WTF??
I don't know HOW you gotted that BS from my post but you seriously need to FIX your interpretionskill on understanding written posts cause yours is useless!

I never said a goddamn thing about that Illwinter should make a game on how I want it!
I'm saying that I'm frustrated that they make games with designchoices I don't enjoy and am puzzled as to why their graphics are ancient!
Here's a hint: If everyone else seems to be interpreting your posts differently than you intended and moreover interpreting them the same way, the problem is not with those people but with your own communication skills.

You started off practically wailing about the graphics of the game and I gave you the benefit of the doubt and answered seriously. With your answer to Gandalf and comments about how Illwinter should have hired more people to do better graphics and still keeping on comparing them to full time (as in doing games for a living) design studios, it was time to take the gloves off. You came off incredibly smug and practically taunting the people who answered you here. Including me, since you mostly ignored what I said.

I don't take kindly to people who waste my time that way, especially if they don't know what they are talking about. The design decisions relevant to your questions were explained to you. What more do you want?

Quote:
I had no idea about this game until your advertisingpost on AoW Heaven. And it doesn't matter ONE BIT if I knew about the game beforehand or not! Why should it??
I read your thread on AoW heaven, saw some youtubevideos of the game and decided to ask why the game is the way it is!

And you shouldn't need to know a damn thing about softwaredevelopment to ask why a game is the way it is!
Very good! Now, I admit that one does not need to know about software development cycles to ask about some things, but as soon as you go into the territory of telling software developers what they should do and how, you had damn well better have an idea of that very subject. And you went pretty far into that territory.

Quote:
By saying I'm "complaining", you make it sound like I'm *****ing and being annoying. But nice wordplay there.

QUESTION TO EVERYBODY: Do you believe that mods should be needed to improve graphics..?
No, games should have playable graphics from the get-go, but obviously a lot of people have different standards of what they are willing to play and what they are not. If this game is not good enough for you in that respect, or not good enough that the rest of the mechanics won't make up for it, just stating that would be sufficient.

Quote:
Never played any Elder Scrolls games, but I can't agree any of'em look like "crap" (I'm detailed in what I say and 'crap' would be like max a 2 out of 5).
I'ts good that people do that.
If you haven't played any of the Elder Scrolls series, especially the older ones, you probably have no idea of just how different the graphics from mods are and how much better.

Quote:
As for porting, completely irrelevant to me.
then why did you also bring that up?

Quote:
I don't give a damn about FC so why should I care about it??
I know a great deal about AoW mechanics except for FC (which I don't care about).
The AoW fast combat mechanics were brought up as the nearest comparison to how CoE3 behaves and it was stated there is no tactical combat like in aoW. In that context it is relevant and then you went on and opened your mouth some more about a subject you knew nothing about. Do you know how goddamn offensive that is?

Quote:
....So by discussing with you CoE III fans I'm "beating a dead horse"??
OK! So then you should only ever praise games you like and NEVER ask other communities why some games are a certain way and why they won't change.
No, whining about the CoE3 graphics is the dead horse you've been flogging. There are very different ways of asking things and being a disrespectful asshat about it from the start and continuing on that track after getting a civilized response is likely to get you flamed to a cinder. So the forest answers as it is shouted at, or something to that effect, I believe you have that saying in Sweden too?

Quote:
Don't worry, I'm not getting this game cause being in this community with complete dicks like YOU is something I would never stand!
You invited the response by your own attitude. Smarmy and smug, superficially polite while throwing out barbs and dismissing information and arguments out of hand, that is anything but pleasant and I don't have time for it. If you want thought to guilt trip me about it, nice try but it doesn't work.

Quote:
....Outside of politics, this is the first time where somebody I at first had a friendly discussion with becomes a complete dick after only four posts....congrats to the record

I've seriously never been so disappointed in my life at somebody on the internet.
See above for why you got the response you got. I went the professional, out of my way helpful route first and you just ignored that in favor of doubling down and repeating all the same things and taunting us for replying to you.
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why can't you ever make a fantasy TBS with modern graphics and UI ?

Enough. Campaigner, this discussion does not belong on these forums. CoE3 was not published by Shrapnel Games, and we're not going to moderate an argument about it. Take it elsewhere.
Closed Thread