.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 21st, 2008, 04:24 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default R'lyeh: Endless Night

EDIT-Please Read!: I've got enough done on this one that it's now no longer a placeholder mod, and is one I'll definitely be finishing, at some point. Yay me!

Starting Gems: 1 Death Gem.

PD: Longdead Servitor x 1 + Fossilized Mother = 1-20 Giboleth x 1 + Fossilized Mother = 21+

Starting Army: None.

Recruits:
Giboleth. As per the EA, but sacred.
Gibodai. As per the EA.

Capital Only Recruits:

Greater Otherness (sacred).
Shade Beast.
Longdead Servitor: Mindless, Undead, 2 claw attacks.

Commander Units:
Jarred Brain. Researcher/Communion slave. Has Astral 1, Blind, Immobile.

Red Squick. bloodhunter

Yellow Squick. healer

Blue Squick. scout

Aboleth (as per the EA, but sacred)

Mindsplinter. Sacred. Astral 2, Holy 1. 100% chance Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Death. 100% chance Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Death. Stealth (0) Lifedrain Tentacle, Lifedrain Tentacle, Mind Blast.

Voice of the Night. Etherial, Immobile, Holy 2. Fear (0). Blind. Sacredawe.

Sepulchre of Heresies. Undead, immobile, stone being, no teleport. Astral 4. 100% chance Fire, Water, Earth, Air. 100% chance Fire, Water, Earth, Air. Darkvision (100) No slots.

Sepulchre of Blasphemies. Undead, immobile, stone being, no teleport. Astral 4, Blood 2. Superior leader of magical beings. Darkvision (100) No slots.

Sepulchre of Abominations. Undead, immobile, stone being, no teleport. Astral 4, Death 2. Superior leader of undead beings. Darkvision (100). No slots.

Sepulchre of Corruptions. Undead, immobile, stone being, no teleport. Astral 4, Earth 4. Superior leader. Darkvision (100). No slots.

Skylon: Improvement on Watcher: Immobile. Darkvision (100) Flies, in combat only. Autocasts Astral Geyser. Patrol bonus (25)

Stellar Pylon: Produces 1 Astral Gem.

Dark Pylon: Produces 1 Death Gem.

Capital Only:
Mind Lord. (As per the EA, but sacred).

Eye of the Night. Sacred. Undead. Mindblast and 4 life-draining tentacles. Astral 2, Death 2, Holy 1. 100% chance Air 1, Earth 1, Fire 1, Water 1. 100% chance Air 1, Earth 1, Fire 1, Water 1. Fear (0) Stealth (0), Assassin, Darkvision (100). Stronger in Darkness (3).

Other Units (PD only):
Fossilized Mother. Undead, Stone Being, Immobile, Blind, good Prot. Holy 3.

Summonables:

Fossilize Sea Scorpion. Undead, Mindless. Has 2 claw attacks per round, decent Prot.

Fossilized Ammonite. Undead, Mindless, 4 tentacle attacks plus very high Prot.

Moon Beast. Astral/Fire Summons, costs fire gems (rubies). Cheap, lots of chaff wielding glaives that do armour-negating damage. I'm thinking 15 hp, no Prot, low def/attack, low movement (8/1) and ability blind.

Night's Pylon: Autocasts Darkness. Summons Fiends of Darkness.

Heroes:
The Loc-Nar. Immobile (can teleport), Immortal. Stone Being. Blind. Awe 0, Fear 0. Astral 6, Death 6. 1 Hp. Autocasts Life after Death. Shattered Soul. No slots.

Genethresh. Voice with Holy 1, Blood 3, Nature 3.

Void Pylon. Immobile, no teleport. True Etherial, 1 hp. Summons Things That Should Not Be (sacred).

Auluudh. (As per the EA, but sacred and immortal)

Multiheroes:
Polypal Mother (as per EA R'lyeh, but has Holy 4-summons Polypal Spawn, which are now Sacred.).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Squicks.png
Views:	518
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	7268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aboleths3K.png
Views:	403
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	7325  
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Brain-In-A-Jar.bmp (1.7 KB, 641 views)

Last edited by HoneyBadger; November 26th, 2008 at 04:30 AM..
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:58 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: D3K-Aboleths, the Hungry Void

would these be a completely seperate nation or merged into R'lyeh?

tell me more about them
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM

General

They'll be separate. They represent a hinted-at, totally alien/evil presence that always seems to exist on the fringes of known space. They live in the empty voids between the stars, and siphon energy and matter from ancient black holes. Their technology, combined with their powerful psychic abilities, allows them to reshape this raw, primal matter/energy into nightmarish living forms, and they use these forms as slaves, war-beasts, tools, and even architecture.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM

Lieutenant General

hmm so they enslave AND create slaves from primal matter.. sounds strongish

I guess they'll sort of be a giant nation.. very few very powerfull units?

it would be kinda cool to have a nation of ONLY commanders not easy to balance though
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:14 PM

General

Well, technically, the Enslave Mind ability for them just represents their memory of that particular unit, which they can then recreate. So it's not actual enslavement-the original gets disintegrated-it just duplicates the effect

They then use the duplicate to study-to better learn the ways of their enemies-and to fight against their enemies/serve the Aboleth cause.
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Darkwind is on a distinguished road

May I suggest Aboleths 'touched' by the Hungry Void alluded to in the title? If the Aboleths' growth can be altered by a single god, then a poorly-developed Aboleth who touches a practically endless field of raw magical (or pseudomagical) energy will surely exhibit some strange development. The question, I think, is whether a 'Void-touched' Aboleth would be a recruitable unit/commander, a summonable unit (possibly representing purposefully making young Aboleths access the void?), or a hero (I'd guess a magical prodigy who learned to access the Hungry Void far before most). Any could work, really.

EDIT: If you haven't already planned on including something like this, of course.
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:20 AM

General

I haven't quite decided in what direction I'm going to go with these guys yet-I'm thinking they'll fall vaguely between Warhammer 40K Genestealers and Lovecraft's Elder Gods. I'm going to have to do a lot of research, because while I love sci-fi, I've been ignoring a lot of the particulars lately in favor of fantasy and history.
Old August 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM

General

Updated this a bit, including most (if not all) units, and starting gems.
Old August 30th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Lieutenant General

Badger, I have a severe problem picturing this race

I can't figure out what aboleths are.. can't imagine which of the troops is an aboleth. Is a sepulchre a creature??? are those pylons creatures? And are they all undead?
I was thinking of somesort of R'lyeh race but all I see is undead, a wurm (for me totally out of context) and some machines.
only 2 troops, only PD?

I'm pretty sure you have it all planned out and with the things you know the first post makes complete sense but for me and I guess for others too the idea behind the race is a complete mystery.

Could you, for me and all others that don't know the story behind this race give some additional information how all these pieces fit together?
And then explain the basic game play thingies behind how you envision them in dom3000?
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM

General

These are meant to be a mostly undead race-they're the recovered remnants of the Aboleths which have been wrested from the grip of a black hole, or from fossilized remains.

The Sepulchres are boulders containing fossilized Aboleth Mind Lords. Their spirits-along with their bodies-are trapped inside the stone, making them immobile.

Some of the Aboleths *are* alive-the Mindsplinters, for example, but that's because the Voices of the Night (Aboleth Mothers) were brought back into existence by being recovered from the black hole Event Horizon, and were able to reproduce. As it is, they've been mutated by the negative radiation from the Black Hole-and that radiation also powers the undead units.

The Eye of the Night is a fossilized Mind Lord that was extracted from the stone-most can't be, because their bodies and spirits were too badly damaged in the fossilization process.

The Pylons are gateways to Time and Space-they enable the Aboleths to summon creatures from out of the heart of the Black Hole-beings that the Black Hole swallowed, but the creatures they summon lack wills of their own, because they've been destroyed and then remade. That's why they're all different, because they're stolen from various alien worlds. Basically, the Pylons function like Transporters-the way Transporters destroy a being at one end, and remake it at the other end, except you're not transporting or destroying anything, you're just remaking from information the Aboleths can psychically garner from the Black Hole's history.

The Pylons are just massive quarts crystals that have been aligned to the Black Hole's energies, but the Black Hole can influence and warp the Pylons and sometimes give them greater powers-they can be destroyed on the battlefield, though, and are quite fragile.

Last edited by HoneyBadger; August 30th, 2008 at 06:16 PM..