.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 17th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cataclysmic Dragons

I do not think they should be demons. Magical creatures would be better. Of course, Christian mythos includes demons in dragon form - just like "The Lion" was sometimes used as an allegory for Christ. This may be represented as either one of the Dragons be demon-type or including a demon (lord?) who can take a dragon form. And in both classic Antiquity and Oriental mythos they were powerful supernatural creatures without any hint to be demonic (actually, quite the opposite often!). And in Chinese folklore in particular, speaking with dragons is actually quite common occurence - though never safe! Herakles have spoken with one, too. And even in Russian folk tales heroes quite often speak with Zmey (there is one also where a hero listens from his hiding place as a dragon speaks with its own servants trying to learn where the hero can be) - sometimes even entering into a sort of NAP! :grin:
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM

First Lieutenant

Cor2 is on a distinguished road

I like your ideas very much, HB. Might i suggest that they get a higher guttony rating. 5 means that they eat enough for 2 and1/2 human troops, no? doesn't seem like that much. 50 or so would be good, if possible (i have never modded gluttony).
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Hooray, Honeybadger. Dragons have needed an upgrade for so long now. I hope you can do them justice. They should not be demons though, just magical creatures.
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but they're definitely going to remain demons. I have my own ideas about demons too, and in Chinese myth, demons aren't always evil, either. I don't mean they're Christian demons (whatever those are supposed to be). Being demonic just means they're subject to the holy power of priests/faith, and certain anti-demon items/spells/powers, and dragons have been battling the gods since ancient Egypt, so it makes sense that many cultures would view them as demonic.

If the devs decide at some point to add a 'Dragon' tag, that still causes them to be affected by Banishment and the other holy spells, then I'll switch them to that-and maybe we can get dragon-slayer weapons and spells.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Well, give them good MR then. I would hate to see my massive Dragon fall to a banishment.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM

General

Yeah, they definitely will have high MR.
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

a "dragon" tag seems a bit useless for the most part.. if you call it a dragon it's a dragon right? I don't really see what specifically sets dragons apart from other monsters (what the tag would need to carry).

The idea of this thread is nice though. Personally I'd agree with those who say you shouldn't demon tag them (especially if they have high MR I don't even really see the point) since it doesn't really fit with Dominions 3 lore. But it's your mod and I doubt it will influence their gameplay much. Anyway nice new sprites and opponents are always good. And having dragons be a bit more divers than the dominions 3 dragons we have now is a good thing.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Sergeant

Poopsi is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont think making them demons is a bad idea. The original "Daimon" was used by the greeks to refer to spirits/supernatural beings which, while powerful, didn´t çuite rank alongside with gods. And in dominions 3 it´s more of a brand name for extradimensional/banishables that aren´t really undead (including that wizard from Yomi--speaking about which, when I tried them I half expected them to be less high on necromancy and more on blood magic..)

And for the record, I do think that they shouldn´t have human forms. And at most they should speak only to gloat over lesser beings, and only if they parallely show themselves to be engines of destruction.
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM

General

Here's the normal pic of the second dragon-the mighty Earthquake Dragon.
This is just the main head. It just sort of explodes from the ground. It's body can't be seen on the battlefield-just the head and neck-and it lacks claw attacks.

The Earthquake Dragon, largest and strongest of all dragons, dwells far underground. Hydralike, it's hundreds of heads push against the surface of the Earth, creating cracks through which they can feed the Earthquake Dragon's relentless hunger.

Pros: High Prot, ability to summon lesser heads in battle, regeneration (5%), extremely difficult to blind, with 14 eyes and darkvision, main head spits acid. Lesser heads have (weak) poison bite.

Cons: Immobile, no flying-must be teleported around. Immobile on the battlefield, 100% susceptibility to both fire and cold. Only the main head has a magical bite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	earthdrag.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	6600  

Last edited by HoneyBadger; August 17th, 2008 at 08:52 PM..
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM

General

Lesser dragon head: Normal state. These are blind/eyeless, and also immobile.
Attached Images

Last edited by HoneyBadger; August 17th, 2008 at 09:59 PM..