winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old April 25th, 2019, 10:10 PM

Private

Paulinski is on a distinguished road
Default AA Defense

Hey All

I don't really post much and recently I re-discovered SPMBT and the WWII sibling.

I have played China Punishes Vietnam scenario 5 or 6 times as Vietnam and every time it was a draw.

The Chinese just obliterate my armor with air strikes. I have I pair of 14.5mm BR40 (I think that is correct name) Strela team and ZSU=23 as reinforcement. I managed to down one plane in 6 games with the ZSU

Does anyone have any tips how to conduct proper AA defense.

Cheers

Paul
Old April 26th, 2019, 03:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AA Defense

There's no way "to conduct a proper AA defense" beyond making sure your AA assets are in decent defensive terrain (or dug in) with clear lines of fire to all directions above your units while being concealed from enemy direct fire. The rest is up to chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post:
Old April 26th, 2019, 05:35 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

AA is very much a "luck" unit.
Do you hit at all?
Do you do enough damage to drive off/kill anything?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old April 26th, 2019, 07:26 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
Hey All

I don't really post much and recently I re-discovered SPMBT and the WWII sibling.

I have played China Punishes Vietnam scenario 5 or 6 times as Vietnam and every time it was a draw.

The Chinese just obliterate my armor with air strikes. I have I pair of 14.5mm BR40 (I think that is correct name) Strela team and ZSU=23 as reinforcement. I managed to down one plane in 6 games with the ZSU

Does anyone have any tips how to conduct proper AA defense.

Cheers

Paul
Check elevation and line of fire. If your AA unit is for example at 50m elevation and right next to it are very higher hexes, the AA might have problem even spotting the enemy planes.
If the weather/visibility is bad and your AA have no radar or other way of seeing the incoming plane, make sure the AA is close to potential targets to provide cover. Make sure the AA doesn't move for at least a turn if you want it to have better chances of firing and hitting a plane.
Old April 27th, 2019, 11:30 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Same principals apply for accuracy do not move and fire.
The ZSU is by far your best air defence system with radar and a EW rating better than the Chinese planes most likely.
As they are reinforcements I would suggest turning off the main weapon till you have moved into position.
Possibly time your movement for just after China has made an air strike and keep the ZSU out of sight of enemy units as it is likely to become a high priority for the Chinese air.
Possibly don’t be in a hurry to commit your tanks fight the air battle first by heading back to your AAA so they do not have to move first. Getting complicated time it right and U turn and the AI will probably expect you to be somewhere else when it attacks. Enough time for your vehicles to be stationary so hard to spot and the decision is do you turn off the tanks AA fire so they do not give away their locations?
Old April 27th, 2019, 09:03 PM

Private

Thanks for replies everyone.

I'm stubborn so I played another time last night. Draw as expected but I did down 3 Chinese planes. I'm beginning to question if the Chinese have too much air assets unless historically it was the case.

I don't think is feasible to hold back my armor because the Chinese armor arrive in turn 2 and just punishes my infantry.

I'm going to try again and see if I can hold the ZSU to fire on closer targets as it seems they target the planes far away.

The Strela is somewhat useful the 14.5mm is useless.
Old April 27th, 2019, 09:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

A bit OT but it's interesting that Vietnam has difficulty winning this. Usually when the AI attacks (here as China) it hurls itself willy-nilly upon the foe without regard for casualties. And since China starts the scenario as Player #1 (Human) it would appear that Camo Workshop intended Vietnam to be played by the AI.

Now this really piques my curiosity. Maybe when I'm done with a current WW2 LC I'll have a go as Player #2, as I've already played the Chinese side several times. It wasn't easy to get a marginal win IIRC.
Old April 27th, 2019, 10:44 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivemi View Post
A bit OT but it's interesting that Vietnam has difficulty winning this. Usually when the AI attacks (here as China) it hurls itself willy-nilly upon the foe without regard for casualties. And since China starts the scenario as Player #1 (Human) it would appear that Camo Workshop intended Vietnam to be played by the AI.

Now this really piques my curiosity. Maybe when I'm done with a current WW2 LC I'll have a go as Player #2, as I've already played the Chinese side several times. It wasn't easy to get a marginal win IIRC.
After playing this several times as Vietnam I have no problems stopping Chinese assault until they decimate my tanks and AFV's with their air assets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulinski For This Useful Post:
Old April 28th, 2019, 02:31 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: AA Defense

In in RL, the Chinese operate the 2nd largest Air Force in the world currently with about 1700 combat aircraft. The USA has the largest with about 3500 combat aircraft.

I have found playing against the AI, that if you have SPAA/AAA and SAM's you better know you'll be under air attack of some kind.

I will at times make them a part of my "core" units so that they like all other units can gain "experience", they become very effective in their role once this has been achieved. So if you think you'll need them, buy them early.

From the "Think Tank"...
https://thediplomat.com/2016/05/chin...-that-matters/
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/th...eady-war-22940

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old April 28th, 2019, 03:40 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
Thanks for replies everyone.

I'm stubborn so I played another time last night. Draw as expected but I did down 3 Chinese planes. I'm beginning to question if the Chinese have too much air assets unless historically it was the case.

I don't think is feasible to hold back my armor because the Chinese armor arrive in turn 2 and just punishes my infantry.

I'm going to try again and see if I can hold the ZSU to fire on closer targets as it seems they target the planes far away.

The Strela is somewhat useful the 14.5mm is useless.
Don't let your AA guns shoot at max range. That's a waste of ammo.