.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM

Sergeant

Adept is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Adept's Balance Mod 1.00 ready

[quote=Soyweiser;785233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adept View Post
So you use 4 mages against heavy cav? most of the cav should die then. Try a rematch against more cav, 20 for example. It does not really have critical mass here. (I did some tests myself, with only one skrattir with luck and eth, it didn't go that well. The long combat resulted in fatigue, the massed attacks overcame the eth+luck. Crits -> afflictions -> meant the end of the wolf).
I didn't lose either wolf or take any afflictions in taking 10+ indie provinces. My point is that they still work quite well. I disagree with this mod "killing the skratti as a thug". It's still an excellent thug. If one want's to go nuts, one can always get an appropriate blessing and kit them out with shrouds among other stuff.

Still it's a werewolf. It should claw and bite, and now it does. With str 25, it is more than enough.
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
...Right.. Look, I just have to ask. If this sin't actually a balance mod, and you aren't actually trying to balance things but are just making things make more sense to you.. why did you call it a balance mod in the first place and complain when people pointed out it doesn't actually balance anything?
Happery,

Welcome to the community! It's always wonderful to see that Dominions is still attracting new players. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask!

Sometimes navigating around a new community that you have absolutely no experience with can be a real pain; so if you need any help at all let us know!
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Private

Happerry is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome! Been mainly hanging out over on the Dom3mods forums, but was been lurking over here for a bit, just know the people over there more and all that.
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Sergeant

The name made sense to me Happerry, but I may as well just change it to Adept's mod. I put in everything I felt needed fixing or tweaking, so it's not a focused "balance" mod in the sense that some here seem to understand the term. It's not meant to buff weak nations and boost strong ones as such. It does change balance in many things, but it seems the name clashes with some expectations.

I'll change it when I find time to tweak the banner.
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:53 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
And other players have good troops. Attack 16 might not even be enough to dent the enemy troops reliably. Lets say marignon royal guards for example. defense 19, recruitable everywhere.
Er... the werewolf has 6 attacks due to being quikened. You did notice that they get _two_ claw attaks now? While the 50 gold royal guard may parry one or two, it's pretty much given that the werewolf will still tear up two of them / turn, and quite often four.

Nicely done, remembering that huge defence and kite shield. But that is the point anyway, the thing can be brought to bear very quickly, and shouldn't be super hard to counter. What is is is excellent value for money, especially as it's an excellent mage with movement that effectively approaches that of flying units due to the survival skill.
50? Ow right, 30 in CBM. I tend to use CBM. (I lie. I use CBM, always. Except when I test stuff for the wiki).

Of course, you also use a fire mage to cast bonds of fire on the skrattir. Causing damage, and making him lose a turn.

I don't agree with you on the movement. It is good, but flying really wins for a lot more reasons. Flying is way better. Attacking from a few provinces away is not comparable to movement the Skrattir has.

And 250 gold for a w2b2 1?wbnd mage isn't great actually. Horrible upkeep. Not super paths. (sure B gives options as a communion, but you need a few of them then). It is actually a bit overpriced then. The nature and death randoms have little use.

But why remove the slots? Why not just increase the cost to 300 gold?

Why remove the mid game options of gearing up the skrattir and say they are still very useful in wolf form by giving early game evidence that will never occur. (at the moment you have luck as a spell, and spare s1 hags, there will not be any indies left. Unless you play against horrible newbies, or gargantuan maps). Killing 10+ indy provinces doesn't mean that much. Try the same against mage supported heavy cav.

Heck try raiding with your skrattir + hag support. The hag will only be there every other turn, or it will get killed by archery or attack rear troops. So you cannot even rely on having eth+luck against players. And if you really piss somebody off with the eth/luck. 2 seeking arrows means you do not have a hag anymore. (And if you are in all out war, taking out a relatively rare s1 hag is a nice bonus, they are the most useful hag variants).

Try to use the skrattir without hag support. It will not work. Give them a vine shield, and it will work again. That isn't cheesy, it is just basic thug usage. And skrattir are one of the best thugs around. (Perhaps shishi are better ).
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:33 PM

Sergeant

[quote=Soyweiser;785246][quote=Adept;785238]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
it is just basic thug usage. And skrattir are one of the best thugs around. (Perhaps shishi are better ).
In that sentence you can see the reason why I wanted them more giant werewolf, and less super thug. You think they are fine as they are, I think they are over the top and overshadow the actual giant troops.

You don't agree. I don't feel the need to convince you. Experiences are based on multiplayer games and research into the precice mechanics. Try them out if you're interested, if not just let it be.
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM

Sergeant

PriestyMan is on a distinguished road

My only question is why you asked for feedback. I've read the entire thread and what i see is you criticizing everyone who tries to give you any feedback that isnt praise. If you want feedback, dont tear people apart when they give it.
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Adept,

The main thing to remember is that these people wouldn't be so passionate about critiquing your mod unless they intended to use it as a substitute for CBM.
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:17 PM

Private

Happerry is on a distinguished road

[quote=Adept;785248][quote=Soyweiser;785246]
Quote:

In that sentence you can see the reason why I wanted them more giant werewolf, and less super thug. You think they are fine as they are, I think they are over the top and overshadow the actual giant troops.

You don't agree. I don't feel the need to convince you. Experiences are based on multiplayer games and research into the precice mechanics. Try them out if you're interested, if not just let it be.
I'd just like to note that I'm playing in Multiplayer as the Jotuns right now, and that wolfnerf would be enough to make me flat out not use them as werewolves because they'd be pretty much useless. By the time I got them ready to be worth hitting independents there wouldn't be any left, and they'd be overpriced fodder verses any player who ran into them. At least as falling frost spammers they'd be able to break even gold wise with their cost.
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:04 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

I'm happy that you do not feel the need to convince me how reducing the power of unit X improves the power of unit Y.

And did you just tell me to test out more mechanics? While you didn't even think that it might be a bit overpowered to have fear on 20 gold units?

And I played around with skrattir to know that without handslots their usage will be severely limited. So much that any usage of them in this form against non pd is a waste. No need to test that in MP. As I have never really fielded skrattir without weapons in MP.

I think magic on pretenders is to strong. So my next mod has removed that. Don't say anything bad about it! Research the precise mechanics in MP first!

Ps: one thing that must be said, kudos for modding all the different weapons everywhere. What a horrible task to do. And it doesn't even matter that much ingame. I would have given up, the time cost vs the effect would be way to small for me .
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453