Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Trench warfare 100 years later

How it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsVpYDk-XEg&t=1s
Old July 11th, 2018, 05:26 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trench warfare 100 years later

2 guys. 1 shoots only his rifle, the other operates 4 different weapon systems. What is this a union run trench?
I saw a lot of area fire with very little aiming. Who says Z-Fire is only a game concept? Apparently the LAW comes with earplugs.
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
2 guys. 1 shoots only his rifle, the other operates 4 different weapon systems. What is this a union run trench?
Well now the fact that single man squads in the game can use all 4 weapons in one go do not seem so unrealistic...

Anyway, I believe there is a serious manpower shortage in the frontlines, hence teams of 2 guys are forced to check an assault with the odds against them. Because of that, they have to seem like they are a larger force that they actually are, hence the "throw everything including the kitchen sink" moment.
Old July 13th, 2018, 01:48 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

This is so sad. I am not talking from a tactics perspective. I hope there is peace in Ukraine soon.

Interesting to note, the man wearing the cam has an American patch on his right arm.
Old July 16th, 2018, 05:33 PM

Major

Thanked 1,053 Times in 619 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I saw a lot of area fire with very little aiming. Who says Z-Fire is only a game concept? .
Thus the 2% odds for a hit.
Old July 16th, 2018, 05:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetLT View Post
Quote:
I saw a lot of area fire with very little aiming. Who says Z-Fire is only a game concept? .
Thus the 2% odds for a hit.

And yet, I believe that small arms lethality in game is higher than IRL (artillery though is spot on).
Old July 16th, 2018, 07:07 PM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road

Imagine, a squad waiting in ambush in forest and enemy squad comes within close range of 8 men with automatic weapons who open fire. I say dead squad game says 2 men killed.

Company of soldiers marching through field and two machine guns in the forest with elevated positions opens fire, i say at least half of the company if not the whole company - game says 2 men killed.

Also, irl every single soldier would be pinned down immediately, in the game couple squads has a change to be.

Of corse, there is also the game mechanics of turn based combat that could not be exploited in the real life.

In my opinion the game is fine as it is and would not be so interesting if it would be more realistic in that regard.

Last edited by Isto; July 16th, 2018 at 07:47 PM..
Old July 16th, 2018, 11:07 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isto View Post
Imagine, a squad waiting in ambush in forest and enemy squad comes within close range of 8 men with automatic weapons who open fire. I say dead squad game says 2 men killed
Only in a badly organized ambush is everyone in an assault position. It would be a text book situation if all 8 could see the enemy at the same time. Also how many hexes had the target squad moved? The game gives an Infantry unit making a 1 hex move extra protection assuming it is moving cautiously.

Quote:
Company of soldiers marching through field and two machine guns in the forest with elevated positions opens fire, i say at least half of the company if not the whole company - game says 2 men killed.
The game doesn't have different formation types. The company is assumed to be in a tactical formation but a movement at max rate should risk taking more casualties. Also if all the units are clumped into one hex there should be higher casualties. Stacking limits usually dictate that a company usually has to take up more than one hex. MG fire can also extend into the next hex from the target. In a situation like that there could be higher casualties like you envision in a single firing.
Old July 17th, 2018, 12:16 AM

Major

Thanked 1,053 Times in 619 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imagine, a squad waiting in ambush in forest and enemy squad comes within close range of 8 men with automatic weapons who open fire. I say dead squad game says 2 men killed.

Also, irl every single soldier would be pinned down immediately, in the game couple squads has a change to be.

Of corse, there is also the game mechanics of turn based combat that could not be exploited in the real life.

In my opinion the game is fine as it is and would not be so interesting if it would be more realistic in that regard.
From what I have learned from James Bond movies, bad guys can't hit a damn thing.

If I was a super villain, my henchmen would have a lot of range time built into their schedule.
Old July 17th, 2018, 05:23 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Not quite so easy IRL.

Someone on the ambushing side may have get trigger happy, have poor camouflage, or any number of other things that give away the situation. The side being ambushed may have drones or thermal viewers and be fully aware of the ambush.

Also depending on who you're ambushing the situation changes. In many cases they'll break and run, better trained troops will take cover and return fire, in the USMC we're taught to charge the ambush with all weapons blazing (one of the few times everyone uses automatic fire) because your best chance to survive an ambush is to do something unexpected.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein