This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 21st, 2005, 06:35 PM

Sergeant

Greybeard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Look what I can do...

My first programming was in Fortran, on punch cards, run on a "room full" of computer at a college 15 miles away from my college. My college didn't have a computer, but we did have a card punch machine!

Those were the days. I think we did 6-8 programs in an entire semester.
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Vic 20. I had one going once where there where two floors and you could climb up ladders and this thing would drop stuff on you.

Of course, Greybeard wins for oldest program...
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:40 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road

Anyone try my poke program of doom?

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

heehee I can still read punch cards. And I remember a "room full of computer" (one computer) that offered 32 bit programming as 32 toggle switches and an enter key.

Null, I did try your program (with a limit on the doom part). My basic didnt seem to like it. But then Im using a basic which I can use on both windows and linux so Im not surprised that it didnt want to do it.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:29 AM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
David E. Gervais said:
aaaahm so we are taking a walk down memory lane and sharing our 'First' Programming experience..

For me it was Atari Basic on the Atari 800 Computer. Aaah, the good old ways of line numbering and GOTO, GOSUB.. But the Atari let you place multiple commands on one line so you could cheat.

On the PC My first programming was with GW-Basic which came with the computer and I eventually graduated to Quick Basic 4.5 which allowed me to 'compile executables' allthough it was still an interpreted language when coding.

I'm still waiting for an 'Interpreted C language, I hate having to code, compile, run, code compile run,.. I miss the code, run, code, run, compile, share method.

nuf said, Cheers!
You want an interpreted C? Dude. That is soooo wrong.
Like Fyron said, try Python.
Quote:
Will said:
Quote:
boran_blok said:
Lemme tell you, that is C not C++ it might be C++ syntax but C++ implies OO programming. dunno if you guys see that.
having a single main aint a good sign

but if it's meant to be procedural it looks like a well structured program.
Ah, but there are objects. He clearly uses both the pre-defined cin and cout for standard input and standard output, respectively, and also uses the class ofstream for file output. Just because he hasn't created a class doesn't mean it's not OOP. I think Java has started to rot people's minds, making programmers think something is never OO unless you type "class foo" somewhere...

And I don't know about the rest of you, but I started in C, at 14 years old. A year later I learned "BASIC", but it was the version in my TI calculator, not this Visual nonsense. I technically still haven't "learned" VB, but really, do I need to? I can read the stuff, and if I'm ever asked to write it for some horrid reason... well, I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.
Yeah, Will's right. Geo's program is at the very least object based.
Oh, and I think I was the one who told you to buy C for dummies (by Dan Gookin).

Just to put you all to shame, I know *all* of the following languages, each to varying amounts:
C/C++
C#
Java
J#
PHP (It can be compiled, PHP.NET)
Perl (it is more of a script though)
Java (J2SE, J2ME)
Fortran (77/95ish)
COBOL (old school hardcore!)
Intel IA32 Assembly
Visual Basic (.NET the best)
AppleBasic (Apple IIe baby!)
JavaScript (again, more of a script)
JCL (more of a script)
SQL (a query language, really)

Some of those I haven't used for a while, so I probably couldn't make a super huge program in each. You have to be using it to know it well. Right now, I'm deep into the internals of Java on the J2ME platform.
I plan on learning 64 bit assembly when I get a 64 bit computer. I hope to get Python learned sometime soon, and maybe some Ruby, Ada, or maybe Eiffel. Smalltalk would be nice too. D would be relatively easy to learn, so maybe I'll try that. Oh, and Visual Foxpro, and some Delphi would be nice too.
Yes, I'm a pitiful geek. But a well learned one!
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:49 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

I used to make all sorts of variations of my Random Hockey Madness / Random Baseball Madness simulators - first in a language called Turing, then to various degrees in good ol' basic, qbasic, and lastly visual basic. The programs were fun, but unfortunately lost in that HD crash a couple of years ago. I never got back into programming after that.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 06:10 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

I used to spend hours writing spaghetti code in AMOS- a bulky but easy version of Basic for my old Amiga. I was entirely self-taught, but I taught myself to use procedures/ functions rather than GOTOs (although I never understood how or why I should pass a parameter to a procedure).

I used to produce some really cool scrolltexts and joystick-driven animated menus for compilations of (other people's) games, with lots of neat home-pixelled graphics/ fonts with brilliant dance music by a friend of mine, who used Fasttracker or Octamed or something similar. It was spaghetti code, it was all entirely unplanned (I always had a vision of how I wanted it to look, but never knew how to plan code- just started typing) but it all worked. Some of it was fairly sophisticated, too. I remember I had one scrolltext that went from the bottom of the screen to the top, casting a shadow-text beneath moving at a third the speed. All the while I had a 2-player "Tron" game running on the other half of the screen.

Then I got a girlfriend.

I'd love to look back over those programs. Unfortunately all the data is on floppy, and PCs won't read amiga floppies, even with emulators.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Since we are on this subject.....

I would be interested in a CGI which is the simplest possible for UPLOADING a file to a linux webserver. Such as, if I click it then it goes the full path to "C://program files/Space Empires IV/mygame/myturn.fil" and uploads it. No questions, no options, no checks and verifications.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:26 PM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Since we are on this subject.....

I would be interested in a CGI which is the simplest possible for UPLOADING a file to a linux webserver. Such as, if I click it then it goes the full path to "C://program files/Space Empires IV/mygame/myturn.fil" and uploads it. No questions, no options, no checks and verifications.
Perl is what you want for CGI. PHP is better though, IMO.
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road

For you people who are curious, here's my QBasic program. It should be fairly easy to figure out what to do
Attached Files
File Type: zip 350052-animal.zip (2.2 KB, 72 views)

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"