.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who likes a scout as first prophet?

I almost always patrol on the first turn so I almost always need my starting commander for that. As a result the scout is usually made into my prophet. I dont find that it detracts in any significant way from using him (never had one killed by a stray arrow/spell).

And the first-turn patrol gives you a significant edge over other nations at a time when it counts most. You may not think much of it, but if I get to a chokepoint province 1 turn before you cause I had just enough gold to get my starting force going sooner, you will be kicking yourself.
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:09 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
I almost always patrol on the first turn so I almost always need my starting commander for that. As a result the scout is usually made into my prophet. I dont find that it detracts in any significant way from using him (never had one killed by a stray arrow/spell).

And the first-turn patrol gives you a significant edge over other nations at a time when it counts most. You may not think much of it, but if I get to a chokepoint province 1 turn before you cause I had just enough gold to get my starting force going sooner, you will be kicking yourself.
Yes, these are exactly the reasons that I prophetize the scout. I am usually high taxing/patrolling on the first turn, and I want to get a prophet made quickly. He can then travel along with the army, smiting and whatnot, and as long as you are careful, you can set him to move and not sneak. When he finally gets killed (and in my experience, this will be a long time in the future), you can make a better unit into your Prophet.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

What about an assassin, such as Abysia starts with? I have actually not used Ritual of Rebirth ever, so I wonder what the stats are for the mummy, and if it would be worth using on a high quality assassin?

Also, I had been thinking the scout might make an excellent prophet for Arco, since he can cause early Dom spread to give you long lasting intel via scrying.

Though anymore, I almost exclusively do the initial commander. I don't like patrolling my capital, I'd rather have someone Smite spamming from turn 2 on, than kill my loyal subjects for a few troops that I don't have the resources to produce anyway.
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:18 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

I usually go for the commander so my scout can go do something useful instead of strapping himself to the commander's side and following him around. I generally don't do a first turn patrol though. That's purely personal preference.

What is NOT personal preference is that making an H3 priest into a prophet is a trap. Word of power pretty much sucks compared to smite, and it's going to take a while before you have enough troops so that you'll need fanaticism over a few Sermons. Thus, having 2 H3 priests (one of them a junk unit you made your prophet and the other one the H3 chassis you would have used) is going to be more useful than one H4 priest in the vast majority of situations, especially early-game. Add on the opportunity cost of having to wait to actually recruit your H3 priest chassis and you have a clear loser of a strategy.
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

I've had assassin prophets, but bear in mind that I play SP, and not only do I play SP, but I play it to amuse myself, not to win as efficiently as possible. I've occasionally made prophets out of Skeptics, Hydras et al simply because I thought it was funny.
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Sergeant

Wick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
JimMorrison said:
What about an assassin, such as Abysia starts with? I have actually not used Ritual of Rebirth ever, so I wonder what the stats are for the mummy, and if it would be worth using on a high quality assassin?
In this case the important stat is that a mummy is not an assassin, or even stealthy.
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:38 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ironhawk said:

Of course, I usually just take a province the first turn = )
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:45 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Entirely situational.

Do I start with a flying pretender? A scout can help me find a low defense site that I can pick off.

Do I need to spread dominion. Did I start next to a imprisoned low dominion opponent?

Am I yomi, with two starting scouts - or one of the two races whos scouts command troops?

Do I need the extra leadership that prophetizing can result in?

Do I want to deprive others of a slot in the Hall of Fame?
Many times, if you send your scout into the combat they will both HOF.

Am I playing a bless strategy? More importantly, will my pretender build allow me to purchase a sacred leader as well as a full build out of sacreds.. aka .. will I need a prophet for the divine blessing.

I guess my answer is this. The first few turns are: grab as much land as possible. Stake as much land as you can. If a prophet helps you more than intel... you prophetize.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:37 PM

Sergeant

Saulot is on a distinguished road

Unless I have something specific in mind with a particular nation, I'll likely prophetize the most expensive commander, just to save on upkeep.
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:36 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wick said:
Quote:
JimMorrison said:
In this case the important stat is that a mummy is not an assassin, or even stealthy.

So..... I feel as if I'm missing something. Does this mummy lose all abilities of its former self? What is the purpose of ever using the spell? .....