.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dug In/Enchrenched Units Effect.

Are you sure? They will dig foxholes in their deploy hexes & be in them, you can occupy any foxhole trench but units dig them in start hexes. The likes of foxholes to take cover in during air arty strikes or whatever have to be represented with trenches.
So for a base for instance even if it has no defensive trenches could have air raid trenches.
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Are you sure? They will dig foxholes in their deploy hexes & be in them, you can occupy any foxhole trench but units dig them in start hexes.
According to the test scenario I have here, the unit maintains it's Dug In status but once you move the unit it goes away.

The ONLY foxholes present are the ones I made in ASSUALT mode.

The scenario is a meeting engagement.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes like I said its useful at times, "cheat" I have been known to use if I have APCs that are not up to much is deploy them as a second line of defence. If operating tanks becomes untenable probably due to arty pull them out & take up 2nd line positions evacuated by APCs. You have to be aware that if these APCs enter his LOS he will know the entrenchment locations, not done on purpose but have fooled a player into blitzing with arty there empty emplacements before as they engaged
When deploying on the defence taking into account what happens if the player takes over your fortifications should be a factor & making them a pre targeted arty hex is worth considering so can hit him before gets a chance to dig in. Once enters the hex he will be dug in at the start of his next turn. Bit unrealistic for vehicle maybe as will need to position but infantry are just taking over a hole in the ground.
Can use the same thing for your arty giving them a second emplaced zone to move to
Great fun sticking your MGs in his defences & pressing on if he has set next lot up in sight of.
So you use "cheats"?
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmisher View Post
Quote:
Are you sure? They will dig foxholes in their deploy hexes & be in them, you can occupy any foxhole trench but units dig them in start hexes.
According to the test scenario I have here, the unit maintains it's Dug In status but once you move the unit it goes away.

Suggest you test it before progress any further by playing turn 1 as is to see where the foxholes actually are
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:06 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Quote:
Yes like I said its useful at times, "cheat" I have been known to use if I have APCs that are not up to much is deploy them as a second line of defence. If operating tanks becomes untenable probably due to arty pull them out & take up 2nd line positions evacuated by APCs. You have to be aware that if these APCs enter his LOS he will know the entrenchment locations, not done on purpose but have fooled a player into blitzing with arty there empty emplacements before as they engaged
When deploying on the defence taking into account what happens if the player takes over your fortifications should be a factor & making them a pre targeted arty hex is worth considering so can hit him before gets a chance to dig in. Once enters the hex he will be dug in at the start of his next turn. Bit unrealistic for vehicle maybe as will need to position but infantry are just taking over a hole in the ground.
Can use the same thing for your arty giving them a second emplaced zone to move to
Great fun sticking your MGs in his defences & pressing on if he has set next lot up in sight of.
So you use "cheats"?
Think I just said that in a PBEM campaign where I will generally have transport if I am going to hide them so his armour does not pick them off may as well take advantage of there empalcements till its safe for them to join the fray.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirmisher View Post
Quote:

Suggest you test it before progress any further by playing turn 1 as is to see where the foxholes actually are

The Units DO NOT make new foxholes on scenario start. And when I test it in the context of the campaign,the units are lined up along the back map wall just like they are supposed to be.
And they are not even dug in status. ANY unit can use the foxholes and become Dug In. Woot! Thats what I wanted in the first place. Keep in mind you can only create foxholes in Assualt mode. This battle is a meeting engagement.
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I seem to recall once trying an experiment where I bought some units, deployed them, set to assault mode so they dug in, then saved the map - with foxholes.
Then reloaded the map and the foxholes were still present.

Might be worth an experiment for someone with more free time then I have at present.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM

General

Well Skirmisher looks like you have found something that might be handy switching back to engagement probably locks the foxholes or as Suhiir said the act of saving the map probably did it. You can have foxholes for them to head to but start them in the mess having tea & biscuits, good call.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I seem to recall once trying an experiment where I bought some units, deployed them, set to assault mode so they dug in, then saved the map - with foxholes.
Then reloaded the map and the foxholes were still present.

Might be worth an experiment for someone with more free time then I have at present.
Standard scenario design trick since SP came out, to get assault/defence items in a non-assault scenario. Nothing new.

See the GG, "Scenario Editor" about para 5, beginning "And we may as well take some time.."

Andy
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You can have foxholes for them to head to but start them in the mess having tea & biscuits, good call.
That's exactly what I was trying to do too.
With the new capability to split crews from vehicles with air transports you can create a situation where a garrison force starts in the barracks and has to man it's positions and vehicles in response to an attack.

That's the basis of one of the "showcase" scenarios in the minicampaign I'm creating to introduce my USMC OOB revision.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein