Notices

Old December 28th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default F-35b

FYI...

Quote:

This video is fresh (for the public). It was made just six weeks ago in the Atlantic, just off Newport News (Hampton Roads), Virginia .

These are the latest sea trials of the F-35B on the USS Wasp. They were very successful, with 74 VL's and STO's in a three week period. The media and the program critics had predicted that we would burn holes in the deck and wash sailors overboard. Neither of which happened. You will notice a sailor standing on the bow of the ship as the jet rotates. That was an intentional part of the sea trials.

The USS Wasp is an amphibious assault ship designed to embark a Marine Expeditionary Unit. It is capable of simultaneously supporting rotary and fixed wing STOVL aircraft and amphibious landing craft operations. For this test deployment the USS Wasp was outfitted with special instrumentation to support and measure the unique operating environment as the F-35B conducted short takeoffs and vertical landings.

No catapult...... No hook ......

The shape and scope of warfare – worldwide – just changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Ki86x1WKPmE

Old December 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: F-35b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
FYI...

The media and the program critics had predicted that we would burn holes in the deck and wash sailors overboard. Neither of which happened.
Guess our all-knowing media never heard that the US Navy has been landing USMC Harriers on their ships for years. And the UK for even longer.

Gotta "love" the press

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 28th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

Rawr!

This is Captain Cloaky requesting permission to take-off and kick someone right in the nutz.

Captain Cloaky... permission is granted please say "ohai stealthy vtol over yer beach kickin' yer butt"

WTS: Romulan Warbird... slightly used and out of date
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:24 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: F-35b

But the real question is did the HARRIER make as good of a rainbow as the F-35B did in the video that's what the guy was really thinking while in his normal position on the bow!?! Thought I was watching a recruiting video. Bottom line impress me when the jet comes off it's two year probation and they've fixed the couple of hundred other design issues on this plane. There's a reason we bought most of the UK's GR.7/GR.9 HARRIERS. And finally you can't launch them when the ship's on the bottom, that's why we called them "targets", nothing is more fun then having a green flare land on the deck to let you know you just ate a MK-48. Of course we never did annyything like that because we're 's!?! I just hope after all the resources put into this program that the series comes out of this with a safe plane that'll do all it's meant to do.

Regards,
Pat
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:47 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
But the real question is did the HARRIER make as good of a rainbow as the F-35B did in the video that's what the guy was really thinking while in his normal position on the bow!?! Thought I was watching a recruiting video. Bottom line impress me when the jet comes off it's two year probation and they've fixed the couple of hundred other design issues on this plane. There's a reason we bought most of the UK's GR.7/GR.9 HARRIERS. And finally you can't launch them when the ship's on the bottom, that's why we called them "targets", nothing is more fun then having a green flare land on the deck to let you know you just ate a MK-48. Of course we never did annyything like that because we're 's!?! I just hope after all the resources put into this program that the series comes out of this with a safe plane that'll do all it's meant to do.

Regards,
Pat
Pat I'll have you know I worked for COMSUBRON 14 in the 70's and don't believe a word of it.

And just to keep this semi on subject so Don doesn't smack me with s dead fish...

Assuming the whole F-35 project isn't cancelled what's the current estimated date for deployment?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:28 AM

Lieutenant General

Well all I can say it can be done, there was enough of that going around above and below the water to make it more then urban legend. I can say off the coast of a certain continent VERY close to a country now minus one recent dictator a certain sub sailor I knew was "inside" a couple of Cold War adversaries anchorages where the "hand grenade" was the excepted signal "to cut that out and you need to leave now" so he said and saw out the scope. What can I say I trust the source. I'll raise you one COMSUBRON SIXTEEN, COMSUBDEVRON TWELVE, COMSUBGRU TWO, SIX and TEN; I think that gives me a full house!?!

Right now it's looking like 2018 at the current rate of funding and the articles I posted in the Jets thread. Though Japan has recently just approved the procurement of the F-35, some of the countries have decided to research and fund their own stealth programs or reduce their commitments based on the increased costs that have gone up again in the 2012 and 2013 defence budgets where the U.S. has reduced their buy levels or pushed them out further. It could be that only the U.S. gets this by games end. Like the ALTAY, FMBT the F-35 could literally become last minute game time decisions for this game at the current rates of development. As you know I've been following these for a couple of years now and expect to for the next few years, even ARJUN MK II looks like it'll need to be pushed back two or three years from what was reported and is in the game limited production being the main cause (See the recent BROADSWORD posts in the MBT Thread.) about to make this the 2nd most expensive tank in production in the world VERY closely behind the latest ABRAMS. Though I get some criticism for you just can't ignore the impact economics is having on these programs I don't write these articles I just report and post them. Anyway there's your short answer!?!

What am still doing up! Have a good night!!!

Regards,
Pat
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post

Gotta "love" the press

In general it seems sometimes that for the average "run-of-the-mill" non specialized press ignorance appears to be part of the job description to "qualify" to write about the military or firearms..

I would like to know what moron wrote ( and the editor that approved it ) that these aircraft would burn holes in the deck.

One day maybe I'll get a high speed connection and I can watch these videos.

Don
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:10 AM

Corporal

-Luc- is on a distinguished road
Confused Re: F-35b

Hi,

Nice toy... at what price...

But what about the payload? What the plane can do whith a full one?

Does it still able to VTOL and remain stealthy?

Thank you,

-Luc-
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:43 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Well all I can say it can be done, there was enough of that going around above and below the water to make it more then urban legend. I can say off the coast of a certain continent VERY close to a country now minus one recent dictator a certain sub sailor I knew was "inside" a couple of Cold War adversaries anchorages where the "hand grenade" was the excepted signal "to cut that out and you need to leave now" so he said and saw out the scope.
Don't get me wrong (once again sarcasm turns to bite me in the arse) I have no doubt at all such things were done ... more a matter of never letting a bubbleheads head swell too large to fit the hatches.

Old December 29th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Lieutenant General

No it didn't. How do you think we plug any large holes underwater to prevent flooding!?! Also allows us to store more oxygen while making an emergency assent, after all we are;
multitaskers!

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; December 29th, 2011 at 01:27 PM..