Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:21 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road
Bug Trench warfare: using trenches for your advantage

I encountered this by accident - I seem to be really good in accidental bug discovery.

If you add and remove trenches the terrain graphics tile remains the same but the ground is transformed into clear terrain. A malicious defending player could then generate clear areas in front of his defense positions as much as he likes and force opponent to areas which he thought to be better or create easier routes for operating behind shooting positions.

At least rough and impossible terrain can be transformed this way.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:13 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Trench warfare: using trenches for your advantage

What procedure exactly are you using to "remove" a trench because when I "remove" a trench by putting back in the surrounding terrain you do not "transform" it into clear terrain. The only way to get clear terrain is to edit over the trench with clear terrain and that leaves a tell tale streak of grass so I'd really like to know how you are editing this because there is no "bug" I can see

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM

Corporal

AMX is on a distinguished road

*tries*
It's not in the scenario editor, it's in the deployment phase of a generated battle.
Building a trench changes the terrain to "clear" without changing the terrain graphic, clicking the "remove trench" button removes the trench without restoring the original terrain.
Not sure if it happens with all terrain types, but it does with "Rough", "Field" and "Tall grass"
Also happens in WW2.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

No "Bug" and nothing new whatsoever of course.

All known about from the dark days of MSDOS - in fact so long ago that I cant recollect if fire trenches were ours, or an original SSI item.

There is absolutely no history of what a hex was in terrain editing - so if putting down a trench removes a road, tree or whatever that was originally there it is not going to be "put back" if the editor subsequently removes the trench. The tree or whatever flag is already nuked by that point.

Just don't do silly/gamey things with game tools. Simply decide where you want a trench, lay it and leave it. The removal facility is really there to deal with occasional "whoopsies" and is not to be used to lay/remove them 9,999 times at your whim.

Some players who have noted this actually think its a "feature" and not a bug - allowing breaking of an approach road if the defender, and other minor "engineering" a defender might realistically have done. I tend to agree with them, and so it will remain as-is, and rely on players not being "gamey" - your human PBEM opponent will notice any over-use of the facility, and if you do it to the AI then it's up to you really.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:05 AM

Private

PPoS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Some players who have noted this actually think its a "feature" and not a bug - allowing breaking of an approach road if the defender, and other minor "engineering" a defender might realistically have done.
Yup, that's how I treat it. I let the enginners clear some nice lines of fire for me