.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 24th, 2011, 06:44 AM

Corporal

DarkAvenger211 is on a distinguished road
Default Random afflictions?

Hey guys.

I was wondering where all these random afflictions keep coming from on my mages who never see combat. My nation right now is Abysia and it's mostly my warlocks performing blood huns, even some who aren't are getting rando mafflictions

I'm also in my own dominion so it can't be Ctis or anything like that. Is there any random point in time where characters just get afflictions for no reason?
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Corporal

fantasma is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Random afflictions?

late winter and old age?
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Does that unit have age icon showing? (when viewing that units info is there a white picture of an old bearded man showing under the stats) That means he has gotten old. Its old age causing more and more problems until he finally dies from old age.

Some units are recruited already old. Also if I remember, fire magic increases it and nature magic decreases it so Abysia would be in trouble.

Click on the Fatigue line of the unit and it will give you more info about his age and age limits. In fact, you should click and right-click just about everything shown on the units display, and on the map menus, and any other display. You would be amazed at how much information is available.

There is no way to fix age easily other than ways to die and return. BUT there are some items that will "freeze" or slow aging. Before investing extra in a unit (such as giving it more magic or making it a prophet) you might want to check their age and pick one that wont get afflictions, then give it one of the age-locking items to protect your investment.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

Many of Abysia's mages start old, as indicated by that white, bearded face on their stat page. They also have fire magic, which shortens their lifespans further, and make the advanced states of old age come even sooner than for average humans.
So come late winter, unless you have Growth scales (and even worse if you have Death scales), they're going to catch a cold and lose an arm here, a mind there.

The common cold is right nasty in the Dominionverse :]

Besides Growth scales, the only way to avoid this is to have them cast spells to go back to youth (there's a Blood spell that does that), or forge them some Boots of Youth (which won't make them grow any younger, but will freeze their age and prevent winter afflictions). Both options are a bit too expensive to use on *all* of your mages, but they're worth it to preserve people with nice random picks, or ones you empowered.
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Corporal

DarkAvenger211 is on a distinguished road

Ah ok. Thanks
Old May 24th, 2011, 04:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
(when viewing that units info is there a white picture of an old bearded man showing under the stats)
I have to disagree. It's a grey picture of an old bearded man showing under the stats.
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brxbrx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
(when viewing that units info is there a white picture of an old bearded man showing under the stats)
I have to disagree. It's a grey picture of an old bearded man showing under the stats.
He appears as a purple man with a green beard on my screen. And he talks, complaining of his bunions and how more expensive Warlocks are now these days. In his day you could buy a Warlock for only 66gp, or so he tells me. I avoid playing Abysia but I don't stop the funny mold growing in my home