.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 17th, 2003, 01:38 AM

Sergeant

jeffr is on a distinguished road
Default new feature: random game

Hi,

I'd like to second a request I read in another thread. It would be great if at game setup you could pick a random game.

A random game could have one or more of the following:

1. random map (you first choose map size: small, medium, large, etc.)
2. random # of opponents (perhaps based on map size)
3. random nation/god of opponents
4. random nation/god for you

So, you might say, "play a medium game", with or without picking your own nation/god.

Thanks, Jeff.
Old November 17th, 2003, 02:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new feature: random game

This would come under the Category of solo-play rather than multi-play. Chances are that this will be an external thing the way it was in Dom 1. It would be a major project to do in Dom2.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 17th, 2003, 06:03 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Not only a random game but what about also having a Fog_of_War. Fog_of_War where you need units sitting inside a territory for being able to see nearby territories. Otherwise these territories remain solid black.
Old November 17th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Sergeant

jeffr is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

By random, I didn't mean a random map generator.

I meant random opponents. I haven't received Dom 2 yet in the mail, but in Dom 1, I don't recall the ability to play against randomly chosen opponents.

So, if you picked a "Random" game, it would pick a map from the existing set of maps, pick a random number of AI opponents based on the size of the map and then assign you a random nation.

This type of game would force you to adapt to the situation. In addition, you wouldn't know who your opponents were until you met them, which adds to the fun, in my opinion.
Old November 17th, 2003, 12:59 PM

BANNED USER

Sammual is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by NTJedi:
Not only a random game but what about also having a Fog_of_War. Fog_of_War where you need units sitting inside a territory for being able to see nearby territories. Otherwise these territories remain solid black.
There is a fog of war.
You can't see anything for a province you have no contact with (Domain or units).

Sammual
Old November 17th, 2003, 03:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

There is a fog of war kindof. Rather like having the ability early on to get a really high view of the world but no details.

As for the random games, Im sorry. I had to go back and check. There is the ability to do it in Dom1 using an EXE to rewrite the map. There would always be a "Random Partners" map showing for selection when you make a game but you would have to click the icon for the RandPartner exe when you wanted it to generate a new Version with new partners. It was one of the things discussed. I thought someone had done one. I even thought I had done one but apparently not.

It could be done in any language that has a random function, even BASIC or shell script. But to be made available would probably need to be something that can be compiled. If anyone with some slight ability in something like VBasic would like to pursue the subject feel free to email me as gandalf on the techno-mage.com system
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 17th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Sergeant

Chris Byler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Sammual:
quote:
Originally posted by NTJedi:
There is a fog of war.
You can't see anything for a province you have no contact with (Domain or units).

Sammual

I think he means you wouldn't even be able to see the geography. I don't think this would add anything much though. It's enough to not be able to see ownership, units, population, forts or dominions until you scout. All you really get to see is where the ocean is.
Old November 17th, 2003, 07:04 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Well you do get to see where the choke points are, and maybe that influances your decisions on which direction to expand to first.

Still I don't think that's such a big deal, the way it works with dominion and armies is good enough.
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I have a question on the random opponents thing. I will try to get interested in doing some testing later today but so far it looks like it can take 2 forms. (maybe I should poll this)

1) a game directory is made for the game and the god files are randomly selected and copied into it. I could setup an email collection box where people could mail me the gods they have made so they can be collected. (multiple man.2h files would be renamed to somethng like man_a1a.2h then renamed back to be added to the game). The advantage is that as far as I know now, these would be forced to be legal pretenders.

2) Pieces of .map text can be snipped out and saved. A randomizer exe would be clicked on which selects a god-file and inserts it into a .map file which the player then selects as his playing map for his next game. The advantage of this is that the pretenders would NOT have to be legal. They could be ANY of the 1010 units in the game, with any combination of powers and scales.

So would people prefer to play against legal pretenders, or SURPRISE! pretenders?

[ November 18, 2003, 13:06: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK I have to take it back. I find no way to start a game with choice of AIs. Especially with player made gods. The only way is to start them as human players, then change them to computer in the first turn.

However, I was close. Id say that we should change our request from being an option for a random game to being a way to specify on the command line or the map file who is playing and whether they are human or computer. What level computer would be good also.