.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 19th, 2003, 04:56 AM

BANNED USER

Sammual is on a distinguished road
Default Yet another AI thread

I lost 3 of 3 games in the past 2 days to the AI.

I have no problems with it. It is better at this game than I am (As long as we play on Indy 7-9).

Sammual
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yet another AI thread

I didn't have time to finish the game yet, but it seems that my demon-loving Marignon is also about to get squashed. I'm getting nailed from three sides by Arco, Pythium and Ulm in wars I didn't provoke, and although I have three archdevils on turn 40, one on each side, there are just too many of them to hold them back. Their armies may be of militia quality, but one army cannot catch five at the same time, regardless of how much stronger it is from each of them respectively.

Hm. Back to the drawing board...
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:55 PM

Corporal

MStavros is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Sammual:
I lost 3 of 3 games in the past 2 days to the AI.

I have no problems with it. It is better at this game than I am (As long as we play on Indy 7-9).

Sammual
wow....I've easily won all of my 5 games with in full game with 6 impossible AIs....I guess you are a very noob.

Oh and before you ask..I didn't used any abusing tricks. The AI is nothing better than in the demo.

[ November 19, 2003, 13:57: Message edited by: MStavros ]
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:13 PM

Sergeant

Wendigo is on a distinguished road

Then you should join us in MP and show those mad skills of yours. I certainly do not consider the AI as weak as you make it look, but hey, we'll see.
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

From what we're seeing from most players the AI is just fine.

You should be proud that you are such an elite player, because obviously your experience with the AI is different than most players.
Old November 19th, 2003, 06:35 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

I have yet to win a game in the demo (partly from the 40-turn limit). The only time I was ahead, I took a Cyclops supercombattant... but every other game (always playing full 17-nation games) I got smacked. The Last one, I was even playing a strong nation (Arco), and still got whipped in a 1-front war with Broken Ermor. I had the top 5 or so hero slots, though, including one for my immortal pheonix... you get higly ranked for dying a lot, and the pheonix had about 15 deaths and only 8 kills=) Did I mention all the other nations were set to "Normal" difficulty?
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:41 PM

Private

Dryton is on a distinguished road

wow....I've easily won all of my 5 games with in full game with 6 impossible AIs....I guess you are a very noob.

Oh and before you ask..I didn't used any abusing tricks. The AI is nothing better than in the demo.
Oh Lord of Dom2, please share your l33t tactics w/ us n00bs.... If you don't then your just another troll. [/end sarcasm]

For any serious players who can help an Evil-Bloodletting-Firebreathing Abysian player I am looking for some decent late game strats. I am having serious issues with Normal AI. Any suggestions that don't include cheats? Thanks
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:12 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

I suggest not using your mages in combat, since they can't hit anything=) Instead, send them off site-searching or cast site-searching spells, then flood the world with Summer Lions=) If you want combat magic, forge fireball wands and give them to cheap indy commanders.

Also, dedicate at least one 5k+ size province to slaving, set the tax to zero, and with the slave income, start forging Sanguine Dousing Rods (unless, as I would hope, you already have some), then use the boosted slave income to make +Blood items, then Soul Contracts. I think these are weakened from Dominions 1, but still very effective. Once you start getting lots of free devils, the game should be easier=) Be sure to put the contracts on cheap indy commanders, because they get horror marked... and put them in a province alone, so that when they die and drop their contract, a new indy commander picks it up, not some precious mage that you don't want to lose to a horror.

I also am fond of putting a fire helmet and Lifelong Protection on Slayers... then they can pretty much have their way with most enemy commanders=) You may want to give them a lucky shield, lead shield, or barkskin amulet, of you have the appropriate path. The Lifelong Protection was so strong in Doms 1 that my slayers (with Main Gauche, Fire Plate, Ring of Regen, Shield of Valor, Fire Helm, Lucky Amulet, Boots of Messenger... rainbow mage pretender, as you might imagine) could take big enemy armies alone, when stuck in the back corner ordered to cast spells.

But as for the late-late game, I can't help since I've always been level-4 spell limited
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:41 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Well guess what! I have won my first game today against 2 impossible AIs!!!!! WOOOOOOOT!

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."