Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 11th, 2006, 08:57 PM

Sergeant

Smersh is on a distinguished road
Default Killing Infantry in WW2 and MBT

This may have already been talked about at some level...

Is there a difference between how causing casualties in infantry works between spww2 and spmbt? Are there code differences or settings?

Infantry in Spmbt ,in my opinion, are much tougher than their Spww2 counter parts. Is this to reflect better post-war training or a different design philosphy etc.

Has anyone else noticed a difference? and can someone explain if there is indeed a difference between infantry survivability, and if is so why?
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Killing Infantry in WW2 and MBT

Killing infantry in both games is about the same - as the code is rather similar. MBT is usually easuer (the tanks generally have 10cm+ guns).

You do not yet have the new EXE, which fixes a few problems with over-effective splash damage as yet (esp to armour). It also fixes some points about close range fire which needed tweaking (to allow for training and supression status) - you should be able to close in the new version and take 25-40% to-hit, more chance of close range panic (if firer supressed and low training). Less 85+% to-hit at 1 hex, especially if you dropped some arty on the defenders prior to attempting to close.

I will probably go over the MBT code and port in any requred fixes sometime this summer. (I need to get myself up to full speed on Java before September as I am off to University as a very mature sudent, converting my HND to an honours degree. Does not look daunting as it is just a rewrite of C++). BSc (Hons) Computing (Games Development) at University of Abertay, Dundee if anyone is interested

Cheers
Andy
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:45 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

Andy,

Do you and Don ever rest?

troopie
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Corporal

Uncle_Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You do not yet have the new EXE,
OK, I'll ask the obvious question here.... Is there a rough guess as to when we will have that new EXE?

I just played a few more scenarios in close terrain and its such a mess. I'd love to be able to give that new close-in fire a spin!
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:15 AM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road

And another obvious question: Will the new EXE be on the cd?
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The patch will be ready late June or early July if all goes to plan and no the new EXE will not be on the CD as the CD version was sent off to be burnt about the same time in May that the DL version released. The patch will update both versions just as patches for WinSPMBT did

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Sergeant

so, there is absolutely no difference in how infantry suppression/causualties work between the two games?

oh, and thanks for all the hard work and man hours you guys put in.
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Smersh said:
so, there is absolutely no difference in how infantry suppression/causualties work between the two games?

I'm starting to wonder if you really properly read the replies you get to your posts; from andy's first reply:

"Killing infantry in both games is about the same - as the code is rather similar."
'about the same' and 'rather similar', ie not identical but close. Very close even.
There have also been quite a few threads on further improvements made for this game including references to adding (some of) these to the next WinSPMBT version.

Narwan
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Corporal

Nightblade is on a distinguished road

in this thread it was hinted that the 100% infantry thoughness in SP:WW2 was maybe not equal to the 100% infantry thoughness in SP:MBT.
It was said that direct fire was more effective and so lead into more casualties.

So if those thoughts are in fact not right, and the code is mostly the same, why do we observe a real difference in the firefights between SPMBT and SPWW2 ?
I doubt it is because my tactics have changed that both my opponent and myself had their final casualties multiplied by 5 to 10 in SP:WW2 in comparison to what it was in SP:MBT for the same battle scales.

(actually i find this change very good and i hope a possible future patch of SP:MBT will have this change added, as i was very annoyed by the "immunity" in front of bullets and shells some squads seemed to benefit from in some of my SP:MBT firefights in 100/200 meters)

Quote:
There have also been quite a few threads on further improvements made for this game including references to adding (some of) these to the next WinSPMBT version.
That is the best hint that there is a need of a FAQ in this forum, as it seems i have missed those threads.
Such informations in a FAQ would certainly be very usefull to avoid asking the same questions, or more easily find an answer when it had already been given.
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Sergeant

Double post