.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old September 10th, 2004, 01:54 AM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road
Default Oeridian mod project

Hello,

I have discovered D2 two months ago and this game has still ruined my summer, I haven't see the sun since I play... Anyway I'm now on the big project of making an huge map (which will probably be available in two or three weeks) and a mod for playing on Oerik (the continent much known as the World of Greyhawk).

My project is to make the content really feel like Greyhawk, so I project
- a change of some of the units recruitables in the conquered provinces, in special sites and mercenaries to include the racial diversity of this fantasy setting and change most of the descriptions
- a change to many of the commanders to make them more AD&D-like (most of the good clerics able to heal but a smaller number of priest-mages, surhuman warriors having many hp, etc..., my plan for this world is to make the commander in front of his troups a good option if still risky)
- of course new pretenders and nations (I've started the pretenders in text, and for some I've just to make the tga images and test them, there will be St.Cuthbert, Zagyg, Rudd, Foltus, Zuggtmoy, Iuz, Lolth and Elhonna in the demi-god Category, the lichs Vecna and Ivid, and some powerful heroes like Kelanen, Tenser, Kaas and Mordenkainen. The nations are not advanced, but I plan to transform Marignon to the Theocracy of the Pale (an easy change, most of the classic theme units have not to be replaced) and Ermor to the Great Kingdom (another one except the roman look of the army, even the special themes should be available for its final fall), the Dark Empire of Iuz will be harder (I'll have to look at the orcs mods and steal some units I think), and about the one of Lolth her armies including giants, spiders and drows will be hard to balance but it will be something using a mix of Machaka and Jorhunheim units. The following is not decided, but Nyrond, Greyhawk, the elves of Highfolks/Vesve, the littlefolks of Uleks, the Iron League, Stonefist, the Scarlet Brotherhood, the Keoland, Ull, The Sea Princes or Keti can all make good nations (with an old greyhawk army book for Battlesystem in front of me, the harder will be to make a choice - or find the time to make all).

Anyway for now I'm searching a list of units and weapon numbers, but I have not excell and the only downloads I've found are in xls format, and making shift+i for all and taking notes is a little long. So if someone can mail me a text or html Version, I thanks him in advance (my mail is antoinecani@hotmail.com). Also if someone have done that a table relying #poptype numbers and units numbers (such as "if you use poptype 25, units 123, 127 and 132 will be availables in this province"), it may be of great help.
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:52 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oeridian mod project

I am not being a great help, but if you have broadband (or are very patient) or better, the Open Office suite might be the solution to take care of these .xls files. Open Office is completely free, and is able to open most standard files without problem (Excel files work well enough there).

If you are interested, the site is available here. Be warned that the current Version weights a bit more than 60 mo (at least, the Last English Version for Windows), and so patience will be required if you have low download speeds.
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oeridian mod project

You may download the free excel viewer from microsoft. If you're using Wdooze, that is.

Actually, I would prefer using it for any .xls file I download because it does not execute macros which could infect my PC if my virus scanner doesn't catch them.