.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 26th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Sergeant

triqui is on a distinguished road
Default vengeance of the dead, how it works with 1000+ ?

Hi!
I have been the target of the vengeance of the Dead spell this turn. Several times. Each round of the spell, i killed each and every ghost, but the problem is that the next round, each and every ghost killed count as a dead by the SC, so each and every round, the number of ghosts double.

What happens when there are 1000, 2000 or 9999999 ghosts? (assuming i can kill them all). Is the game stalled at round 75? I die? (i guess the ghosts dont run or break morale in round 50, do they?)
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: vengeance of the dead, how it works with 1000+

brain: pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

pinky: i think so brain, but those kind of girls aren't into that.

brain: pinky, don't you think we're stigmatized enough as it is?

pinky:...

brain: I'm going to give an SC the Sickle Who's Crop is Pain, then have someone cast VotD on them. can you just imagine the death gem income you'd get turn after turn!?!

pinky: Egadz brain! NARF!
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

kasnavada is on a distinguished road

Hum, I read the other thread you resurected. It sums things up nicely...

The only counter I can see to that is
- using the "returning" spell until your opponent runs out of gems or get tired of trying to blast him,
- teleport your SC every turn until your opponent gets tired of trying to blast him (and hope the teleport ritual happens before the VotD ritual),
- have a stealthy SC. I don't know of any item that can give stealth though...

Either way, your opponent countered a SC with half a dozen cheap mages...
* Darwi Odrade
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:13 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Omnirizon:

Hmm... that Sickle idea is brilliant, if it works it is rather a bug though or at least exploit that should be blocked in game.

LA Agartha guide
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Corporal

BesucherXia is on a distinguished road

Hmm...
I will suggest changing the Sickle so it can never harvest gems from mindless units, who are obviously out of "pain".
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

IMO Vengeance of the Dead is buggy too, for including undead kills in its dead count. It's the souls of the dead you slew coming back to haunt you. So when you double up, where the heck did those extra undead come from?

I think it's unfair to cast this again if the unit you are trying to kill survives. Once is fair game though.

Vengeance does have an MR check, so you should do what you can to increase your MR to reduce your chances of being affected.

Undead are immune, so if you're really desperate you could use Twiceborn and kill yourself.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
vfb said:
IMO Vengeance of the Dead is buggy too, for including undead kills in its dead count. It's the souls of the dead you slew coming back to haunt you. So when you double up, where the heck did those extra undead come from?

Its the same mechanics as reincarnation. If reincarnation is true, than how does the population of the world increase? The person living now is only the soul of someone who lived before. They don't die and create a soul of their present life in addition to their last one. So as population increases, where are all the extra souls coming from?
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Sergeant

triqui is on a distinguished road

Quote:
vfb said:
Vengeance does have an MR check, so you should do what you can to increase your MR to reduce your chances of being affected.

That's not an option, it will die next turn , mathematically

I liked the Sickle of crop idea, though. A nice exploit to answer against a exploit i guess
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
Quote:
vfb said:

Its the same mechanics as reincarnation. If reincarnation is true, than how does the population of the world increase? The person living now is only the soul of someone who lived before. They don't die and create a soul of their present life in addition to their last one. So as population increases, where are all the extra souls coming from?
Well, obviously reincarnation as you have interpreted it is logically inconsistent: If "the person living now is only the soul of someone who lived before" and "the population of the world increases" are mutually exclusive, and we know "the population of the world increases" to be true, then "the person living now is only the soul of someone who lived before" is false. In conclusion, Bandar must take death scales.

To get back to the point, there's no need for Vengeance to be inconsistent like this. If undead kills aren't counted towards the kill count for the raised souls in Vengeance, then everything will be fine.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

kasnavada is on a distinguished road

Errr...

The people killed in the dreamed caused by the spell shouldn't be counted, that's true even from a logical point of view. Think of it : the guy that got killed now has two, three or more soul ! It's completely illogical !
* Darwi Odrade