Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 29th, 2011, 12:19 AM

Corporal

Kartoffel is on a distinguished road
Default Rally question

If a company commander tries to rally himself and fails and the AO rallys him can a platoon commander under the company commander be rallied later on?

--------St. Thomas Aquinas
Old October 29th, 2011, 01:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Not by the company commander of course. The platoon commander can be rallied by A0 (if in range), or, if A0 fails, then by the platoon commander itself.

By the way, your given scenario is impossible. There's no way a company commander can be rallied by A0 if it's (company commander) already failed rallying itself. The correct order of rallying is from the highest command down to the squad itself, not the other way around.

A0's rallying of company commander only relieves him of the suppression, not to replenish his rally point. It'll have to wait next turn to have its rally point back.

Last edited by RightDeve; October 29th, 2011 at 02:06 AM..
Old October 29th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rally question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
By the way, your given scenario is impossible. There's no way a company commander can be rallied by A0 if it's (company commander) already failed rallying itself. The correct order of rallying is from the highest command down to the squad itself, not the other way around.
Hi RD,
It is possible. If the A0 is out of range, the Coy commander will attempt to rally himself, after he fails you can move the A0 within range of the Coy Commander and the A0 will attempt the next rally.

You can do this as a deliberate tactic. Letting commanders try to rally, then if one in an important situation fails, move the A0 within range of that commander to attempt to rally him.
You've probably done it yourself, you just forgot

Cross
Old October 29th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Ah, yes! You're perfectly right there Cross, forgot about it.
Move the A0 or any formation commander only if the squad has failed rallying itself to avoid wasting precious A0's rally point, handy tactic (and quite realistic I believe)

But don't you think it deviates from the normal rule of rallying in the game? In the game it goes from the upper command down, but using this it goes the other way. To be honest I don't quite grasp the normal concept of going top to bottom, isn't it the reverse in real life?

Using the normal tactic, there'll be lots of wasting because a single failed squad could drain battalion commander's rally point thus eliminating the chance of other squads to be rallied by A0. Isn't it the direct responsibility for a company commander to rally his subordinates before A0 should come in?

Last edited by RightDeve; October 29th, 2011 at 10:51 AM..
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quite frankly, it should be bottom-up for rallying. The way that SSI implemented it has always appeared counter to logic to me (IMHO!.

It does mean that the platoon commander (and above) can get 'drained off' by subordinates even if needing some rally themselves (pinned etc). So a human user has to check for pinned or worse command elements before doing his rally rounds (I do anyway). The AI however....

(I have no idea how difficult it would be to reverse it so that the platoon commander's rally is only used after the section corporal runs out of steam, but will try to investigate that this winter.)

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:34 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quite frankly, it should be bottom-up for rallying. The way that SSI implemented it has always appeared counter to logic to me (IMHO!.

Andy
I have to agree with you here.

So that makes my opinion as humble as yours?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:50 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

Andy
I have to agree with you here.

So that makes my opinion as humble as yours?
Another point of agreement. That would be exceedingly nice in a future patch
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:33 PM

Corporal

Kartoffel is on a distinguished road

The real reason I started this thread was to receive an answer on how to effectively rally without sounding like the moron doesn't know how to effectively rally asking the question directly. In all my years of playing I have not figured it out and I have recently started playing scenarios of the difficulty that makes knowing how to rally of sufficient import to be of game losing/winning importance. Rather than providing the boiler plate directive to read the manual is there a possibility of pointing out a cliff notes version that I may partake of? I ask this because I was not able to locate a heading for "rally" under the manual TOC and I would rather not spend and evening reading the entire thing if I could avoid it. So gang, how about helping out an ignorant long time player?

--------St. Thomas Aquinas
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartoffel View Post
The real reason I started this thread was to receive an answer on how to effectively rally without sounding like the moron doesn't know how to effectively rally asking the question directly. In all my years of playing I have not figured it out and I have recently started playing scenarios of the difficulty that makes knowing how to rally of sufficient import to be of game losing/winning importance. Rather than providing the boiler plate directive to read the manual is there a possibility of pointing out a cliff notes version that I may partake of? I ask this because I was not able to locate a heading for "rally" under the manual TOC and I would rather not spend and evening reading the entire thing if I could avoid it. So gang, how about helping out an ignorant long time player?
I'd be happy to try and help but I am a little uncertain of what you are looking for.

Are you wanting to know how rallying works in game mechanics, or how to best use it as a player?

Thanks!
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:52 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Once again,it's all about trail and error.

Play the game,

Then learn the hard way as others have,on which works best.

Should everything in this game,there will be a short cut