.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Land of Legends

Old September 26th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Corporal

aldin is on a distinguished road
Default Change my mind on the price

So I played and enjoyed the demo. It's a nice beer and pretzels kinda game. What I haven't done yet is order. The reason? That $35 price tag. I'd buy it in an instant at $20 and would at least consider it at $25 (probably) or $30 (probably not, but it's a timing issue). What makes LoL $15 better than Coliseum or Interstellar Trader 2? I know I'm dropping $50 on Civ IV in the next month (the aforementioned timing issue), can anyone help me get over my sticker shock on LoL so that I can get it too?
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:02 PM

Corporal

Sammas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Change my mind on the price

Well, I don't know about Interstellar Trader 2, but surely it's well worth it compared to Coliseum..
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:14 PM

Private

nullpixels is on a distinguished road

I was a little sticker shocked too, but I really did enjoy the demo. Ultimately the $35 seems worth it for the online play with the different races.

Also, you gotta support the indie games.

I chose the $0.00 shipping option and still got my game in 4 days. The package came from North Carolina and I'm in Colorado; that seems like a pretty good deal for free.

Old September 27th, 2005, 01:32 AM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
aldin said:
So I played and enjoyed the demo. It's a nice beer and pretzels kinda game. What I haven't done yet is order. The reason? That $35 price tag. I'd buy it in an instant at $20 and would at least consider it at $25 (probably) or $30 (probably not, but it's a timing issue). What makes LoL $15 better than Coliseum or Interstellar Trader 2? I know I'm dropping $50 on Civ IV in the next month (the aforementioned timing issue), can anyone help me get over my sticker shock on LoL so that I can get it too?
No offense to Derek, who makes some quality games, but I don't think it's fair to compare a game like IT2 or Coliseum to a game with the strategic depth (ie lots of variety in races and strategies) and extensive online support that Land of Legends has.

If it doesn't fit into your budget right now, then we welcome you as a customer when it does. I can't see asking our developer to take less than what we are currently charging for the game. The game is just too good for that.

But then again I am biased
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Private

Grinner is on a distinguished road

I was a bit shy on the price as well, but I've already gotten my play out of it. When compared to a Disciples or Jagged Alliance it's tough to see that it's worth $35, or Nemesis at $20. But you also have to keep in mind the size of the base. Nemesis hit places like Best Buy - so I'd think that volume would help make up the price differential.

Now I'm basically a solo player (not big on random internet opponents and I can't currently connect due to some weird memory bug anyway) so I'm looking at the campaigns for my play. I am hopeful that there will be additional content in the future. But I've already put a good 15 hours or so on my game - That's $3/hour. And I'll put in at least that much more. Compared to some games I've barely touched, that's pretty good value.

er
Old October 7th, 2005, 01:46 AM

Private

SargusBane is on a distinguished road

35 bucks is a bit much for this sort of game and considering its graphic, ai, game play and all, it is a little lacking. However, the quickness of learning the game and the growing population of players makes the $35 seem like a bargain. Play Loops or Sammas and a few hours later you will be hungry for another game. After a week or two you will see that the entertainment and friendship you develop far exceed the cost of the game.

I am sure if the game was allowed to be purchased and downloaded the cost could be reduced and the game could be sold for less. However, I like the game case and a little manuel so I think the cost is just fine.

If you need help to offset the cost of the game I am more the willing to play with you for money. (Play with you was refering to playing against me in the game and not some sick fantasy of Loops) If you win me in battle I will pay you a shiny quarter! If you lose, you pay me a buck. After as few hundred games you will soon forget the $35 you paid for the game. (Since the amount of money you will end up owing me will be so huge that $35 seems like pocket change.)

Considering this is the first and only game I have ever purchased as it was being release says a lot for the game!