.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old January 15th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Private

OGBerger is on a distinguished road
Default Blackhorse 11th ACR delay vs 117th GMRR advance

Scenario: Blackhorse 06/86

To: Staff 11th ACR, Commanding Officer
From: 1st Lt Coolidge, Co 4th Tank Platoon, temp Co Bravo Troop 11th ACR

Subject: After Action Report (AAR) of the Engangement in the Area north of Huenfeld

June, 13th 1986

Bravo Troop was deployed as part of the 11th ACR security force in the assigned area of operations, with orders to delay the advance of
the 117 Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment.

The deployment was as follows:
HQ Platoon at Kirchhasel,
1st Platoon southeast of Stendorf and at Großenbach
3rd Platoon north, northeast of Neuwirtshausand east of Großenbach,
2nd Armored Platoon south of Großenbach,
and 4th Armored Platoon north of Huenfeld.
Mortar Platoon was in position west of Großenbach.
Half of D batt with M109 was assigned to Bravo troop and deployed in the Southeast.
In addition we were reinforced with Stinger teams, who were distributed among 1st and 3rd Platoon, and MP sections, tasked with monitoring
certain intersections.

Initially we came under air attack by 4 Su25 ground attack AC. Positions of the 1st and 3rd Platoons were hit with incendiary ordnance and bombs.
The stinger teams and the fire of various units with AAMG were able to destroy 2 of the attacking AC and damaging the other 2.
One CFV of 3rd Platoon was imobilised.
1st and 3rd Platoon retreated south to establish new line roughly on a East West axis near Neuwirtshaus.
Both Armored Platoons were brought forward in support.
In this move initial contact was made with Recon elements, later to be identified as parts of 11th Recon Btl,
and armored elements (T72) of 117th GMRR. These were engaged mainly with TOW missles. The SPHs of D Batt took up their shelling of the suspected enemies main axis of advance along the B84.
The enemy started shelling the positions formerly held by 1st and 3rd Platoon and their routes of retreat, three Mi24 Attack helicopters appeared on the battlefield.
One was downed by coordinated fire of a stinger team and 3rd Platoons CFVs, the other two were damaged and scared away.

However Kirchhasel was shelled also and Bravo HQ Platoon had to redeploy towards Huenfeld, meeting up with 4th Amored Platoon halfway between Huenfeld and Kirchhasel. During this move HQs IFV was ambushed and the HQ troop killed by infiltrated special forces.
These infiltrators were killed by 4th armored platoon tanks.

Two main axes of advance were identified one along the B84 towards Neuwirtshaus and one through Stendorf towards Kirchhasel.
2nd Armored Platoon was deployed in defensive positions at Großenbach, while 1st and 3rd Platoon moved back towards it, harassing the enemy with hit and run tactics.
But due to the swift nature of the enemies advance, some of 3rd Platoons CFVs were caught between two spearheads as more elements of the 117th GMRR poured in from the east through Haselstein. 3rd Platoon lost four of their CFVs during the course of the engagement.
1st Platoon did somewhat worse and lost five of it's CFVs while also employing hit and run tactics.
4th Platoon was heavily engaged by elements of 47th Tanks with T80s and more elements of 117th GMRR consisting mainly of BMPs. During this time troop HQ tank was killed and I was to take over command of Bravo Troop.
This advance was finally brought to a halt at the B84 Intersection, where the lead elements of the enemy had joined their forces, by concentrated fire from 4th armored platoons tanks and TOW fire from the suriving CFVs of 1st and 3rd platoon.
This success came with the loss of one M1 and the said HQ M1.

The move of armored elements of the 117th through the forests to flank our positions at Großenbach was finally contained with the help of 2 AH-1 attack helicopters and the 2nd armored platoon east of Großenbach. 2nd armored Platoon was also critical in breaking the main advance of 39th Tanks and 117th GMRR armored elements towards Großenbach. It sadly lost 2 M1 during this actions.

The two MP sections deployed near Neuwirt and west of Kirchhasel were lost when the enemies advance overran their positions.
The other MP units defended Huenfeld and were successful in killing two other bands of infiltrators.

The troops SP mortar Platoon came under indirect fire and lost one APC.

When all advances were brought to a halt, the remaining elements of Bravo troop enganged in a counterattack, retaking Kirchhasel and destroying APCs and light tanks of 11th Recon. Finally we were able to regain the ground towards Stendorf and Neuwirtshaus. However one more CFV and two M1 were lost in skirmishes with retreating dismounts and tanks. Luckily the crews were able to disembark and get away safely.

A note on artillery:

Enemy artillery proved to be a hazard through the whole battle, being responsible for the loss of at least two CFVs, one SP mortar and
numerous casualties among the dismounts and crews of destroyed vehicles.

During the whole course of the action, concentrations of enemy tanks and IFVs were brought under fire of the D Batts SPHs, greatly lessening the pressure on all the Bravo Platoons. The use of preplanned strike points proved to be very efficient. We estimate that at least one third of the destroyed vehicles are to be accounted to their fire.

Note one enemy tanks encountered:

The engaging of T72 and T80 up front is to be avoided as numerous hits with 105 Sabot ammo weren't able to penetrate the frontal armor. The enemies 125mm Gun is able to penetrate M1 frontal armor up to ranges of 2000 yards.
Flanking shoots proved to be efficient in defeating enemy armor. The LAW proved to be insufficient, it had to be fired below 100 yards distance to target to be sure of a hit. Kill probability was low, hits to turret fronts and sides were of no effect.
The improved TOW missles were able to defeat enemy tanks armor, even when backed up with reactive armor.

Summary results:

Bravo troop came under a deliberate attack by the 117th GMRR, reinforced with Tanks of 47th and 39th Btl and the 11th Recon.
Bravo troop was able to contain this assault and finally stop it.

During the engangement Bravo troop suffered the loses of 7 CFVs, 1 FO APC, 1 SPMortar, 5 MBT M1 and all in all 98 men.
Two M1 are damaged, one suffered a mobility kill, the other lost its main gun. 1 CFV was abandoned and is in repairable condition.

The enemy lost at least 10 T80, 60 T72, 4 PT76, 38 APC of various kind (BMP1, BRDM2, FO APC).
The total loss of men is estimated to be around 500. The 117th Guards motorized Rifle Regiment as fighting force has ceased to exist.
Regardless of its losses it is to be noted that the enemy was determined to press on his attack. Enemy formations broke only after most of its tanks and IFVs were destroyed.

Current Situation:

I have reassigned the dismounts, MBTs and CFVs to form a cavalry platoon and a armored platoon respectively, now we're holding a line between Stendorf and Neuwirtshaus.

But I must stress the fact that Bravo troop of 11th ACR
is far from being a effective fighting force. Most of the ammo is spent, we're in desperate need of immediately resupply with 105mm Ammo and TOW missiles to check a possible renewed attack. The attached D Batt SPHs have also spent their combat loads of ammo and need resupply asap.

It's also important that we're either reinforced with infantry, to clear the woods between Stendorf and Neuwirtshaus, and tanks or be relieved from the defence in oder to rest and refit.

Recommendations:
PFC Williams, Cavalry Scout, 3rd Platoon is recommend for the Silver Star, after having to disembark from his destroyed CFV he displayed courage beyond the call of duty by killing two T72 at close range with LAW shoots. After these were spent he assaulted a BMP with small arms and hand grenades. PFC Williams actions are just one display of the fighting spirit the whole Bravo Troop, 11th ACR showed today.

signed

1st Lt Coolidge, Co 4th Tank Platoon, temp Co Bravo Troop 11th ACR

This one was a hard scenario, well worth its playtime. I enjoyed it much, good map with lots of room, nice deployment of forces and strewn in surprises. Just had to do a AAR.
That one and "It begins!", that i played in the Bundeswehr eighties edition, are my favorite CW scenarios played so far.

Besides this is my first post, will see if i can do some campaign reports on the Marines1967 (currently at Battle7) and Silver Lions (currently at Battle 6) as soon as they're finished. Interesting pieces too.
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:53 AM

Corporal

Pepper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blackhorse 11th ACR delay vs 117th GMRR advance

Great AAR! Can't wait to see the USMC'67 and Silver Lions ...
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Private

lopezonline is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blackhorse 11th ACR delay vs 117th GMRR advanc

Wow, nice AAR... but high casualities :/ i just retreted to the city, and use smoke for cover (op4 MBT's and IFV's didn't have Thermal Sights) most efficient force where Bradley's firing Tows, M1A1 where only responsible for taking T72 (mostly from sides, because frontal armour was inpenetreble to 105 mm sabots and hits) ans some BMP, T80's where only fragile to TOW fire... And op4 Arty is really deadly in this scenario) As for heroic acts, one of my Bradley's was immoblised by 152 shell near miss, it took down 2 T82, 4 T72 (using tow ATGM) 6 BMP using 25mm sabots rounds, and when it was thretend by overun i just got to help him, 2 M1A1 1 Bradley and AH Section where protecting crew extraction.
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Private

Pazam is on a distinguished road

What is the name or slot number of this scenario? I couldn't find it but would love to try it!
Old November 10th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Private

Name of this scenario is "Blackhorse" and slot is 33, go get'em tiger make some damage
Old November 10th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Private

Pazam is on a distinguished road

Thanks!! Am I able to check the orders/intro page again once I've started the scenario, or should I write everything down first?
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:40 PM

Private

Hm... just check the orders/intel and go on with combat mission, orders are quite simple, hold agains enemy assault, check map (Victory Points) for info on what terrain is a key for your command, then just visely redeploy your forces and make bloodbath for your enemy. Hint -> You have only M1A1 Abrams (105mm main gun comparred to 120mm on M1A2) on that mission they have only one, but big ADVENTAGE against op4 tanks (thermal sights) same as your Bradley's IVF's so... smoke is your biggest friend - enjoy, and give them hell. You are dismissed soldier
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:37 AM

Sergeant

pdoktar is on a distinguished road

M1A1 and M1A2 Abrams has 120mm gun.
M1 and IPM1 has a 105mm gun.
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Private

Ohhh... i see, ok thx. for info
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Corporal

Siddhi is on a distinguished road

i've always considered this to be the best armoured scenario in SPMBT, bar none.

quick question though - i've found it a bit dubious that the WP vehicles are all modelled as not having thermals, by the early 1990s (my period) this was definetly not the case anymore, including for the t-72s.

also, i heard a mention back then of supposedly "thermal defeating smoke" (using plastics, or something?) anyone heard of this, at least as a threat perception if not actual WP technology?