Notices

Old June 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: inf assault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post

Weather it effects it "significantly" is somwhat a matter of opinion.
"Weather" ??

A "Ranger Squad" unit ( UC 111 ) would be roughly 15% more than an equivalent "infantry" ( UC 1 )unit and that's before the experience and morale modifiers Rangers have which would boost the actual game cost up even further bringing it up to approx 30% more than the same "infantry" unit with no special abilities and no experience and morale mods

Don
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Corporal

Koh is on a distinguished road

What I'd like to know is the rationale behind the infantry squad dismounting before the vehicle is assaulted. This does not seem consistent with their behaviour whenever their vehicle is fired upon at other times.
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

For normal purposes i.e greater range if the transport survives the shot its up to you the player to decide the course of action, stay on board or bail.
At close range take it as they either see it coming & bail just before its assulted or try getting out while its in progress. Probably represents more the second despite the mechanics.
Do not take as correct but I have definetly had infantry unload remain relativly intact & had an assualt aborted message or something like. I think sequence of events is
Squad unloads assulting unit fires at squad, if it can squad fires back then if still able the unit assualts.
Try running up against a crew or unit that used its full movement last go the attacker might take casulties.
The Following User Says Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM

Corporal

Koh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
or try getting out while its in progress. Probably represents more the second despite the mechanics.
Good enough for me. Kinda explains why they pretty much always get torn to shreds, too.
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:57 PM

BANNED USER

c_of_red is on a distinguished road

Actually, those were my Rangers and there was two units in that hex, a Ranger squad and a Law team. If, of course, we are talking about the same firefight. IIRC, both were pinned and made their rally. I left them in the same hex because they still had a rally roll and I wanted the Program to take it. I had planned on moving the zero sized unit out first as a scout, sort of. IIRC, I was stalking one of those HEL Leos along that little ridge line above the lower V-flag cluster. The rifle squad would have gone first, since it is higher up in the que then the Law team.
I can't really say anything about chasing Infantry around the woods with armor since I do it myself every now and then. Afterwards, as I stroll out of the woods, gaily swinging the basket containing my head, I say "NEVER Again". Then a few games later going thru the woods seems better then dodging ATGMs crossing that open spot. After all, there can't be a RPG behind EVERY tree, can there?
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:44 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Only one of them made the assault, not both. But since this is game mechanics, I will make sure to remember it for the future.
Old June 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

RPG teams I think dont assault they do not have enough men to have a good chance of pulling it off, fire there weapon instead unless out of ammo.
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post

"Weather" ??

Don
Hey!
I'm a tech weenie not a spelling champ!
Yeah, yeah, yeah...use a spell checker...
>grumbles<

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
RPG teams I think dont assault they do not have enough men to have a good chance of pulling it off, fire there weapon instead unless out of ammo.
If I'm not mistaken (and I may well be) ANY infantry unit that has a vehicle pull up adjacent will attempt to assault it.
Game mechanics, no more, no less.

Personally I "love" it when a MBT passes by a sniper and gets killed. How the hell one guy with a sniper rifle and a couple hand grenades kills a tank I havn't a clue but I've seen it happen.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_of_red
I can't really say anything about chasing Infantry around the woods with armor since I do it myself every now and then. Afterwards, as I stroll out of the woods, gaily swinging the basket containing my head, I say "NEVER Again". Then a few games later going thru the woods seems better then dodging ATGMs crossing that open spot. After all, there can't be a RPG behind EVERY tree, can there?
Been there, done that. Carried my smashed pride and ego out with my head. Did it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp
Not that they have to assault to take out a tank. That's part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG
Quote:

"Weather" ??

Don
Hey!
I'm a tech weenie not a spelling champ!
Yeah, yeah, yeah...use a spell checker...
>grumbles<
That's the worst part. You spelled it right, but it's the blasted homophone (sounds the same, spelled different, deffinition different). Don't worry about it too much. I'm know that I fit into the "bad speller's" catagory and even more of us fit into the "Bad Grammer" group.

Quote:
Personally I "love" it when a MBT passes by a sniper and gets killed. How the hell one guy with a sniper rifle and a couple hand grenades kills a tank I havn't a clue but I've seen it happen
He somehow got the gas cap off. Or maybe he shot the HEAT shell that had loaded into the cannon. Oh, oh, oh! I know! He used the can opener on his pocket knife and used it to make a hole in the turret and then threw the hand gernades in! I love this game. Talk about ways to foster your imagination!

Question for anybody out there. As a fairly new player to MBT (playing mostly WW2) What means to you employ to counter AT threats whether (just of you Suhiir ) they be ATGM long shots or RPGs behind trees? Is it how you deploy forces? Scouts attached to your Armoured formations? Nuking everything in front of you with rockets, bombs, shells and HMGs? What works the best for you?

Howard Tayer

Last edited by Lt. Ketch; June 18th, 2009 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: various