.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old September 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Boot Camp - Newbie intro to Dominions MP - Recruiting!

Welcome to the game, everyone! On to the questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnars Wolves View Post
On that note, if you will have me in my first MP game....I will take (drumroll) MA Pythium!!!! (Uhhhhh, BTW, a 10 turn Nap mandatory with me from everyone else would be a very nice and special welcoming gift).
PriestyMan is right - Pythium certainly isn't a weak nation. But you are welcome to it - only the notorious Ashdod is banned for being overpowered (OP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnars Wolves View Post
I have noticed that I have the Paragos map but NOT the dead sea map. Could you possibly put a link to that map on the first page and perhaps the end-game diversity mod, or direct me to it. Thank you agian and thank you for the explanation of what to expect in the game, it will be a big help.
Here is a link to llamabeast's modified Parganos (I'll update the first post as well). Note that this doesn't have his preset start locations. This isn't a problem, though, as only the server needs to have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan_Frost View Post
...It's kinda unfortunate that Bandar Log is already taken, since that's the only nation I'm any good with.

Could anyone suggest a nice replacement for a new player to try out on his almost-first MP game?
Hmm, similar to Bandar? Have you looked at Arcoscephale? Like Bandar, you can use elephants for expansion. You also have strong astral magic and risk-free mind hunting thanks to your recruitable healers. But unlike Bandar, you don't have a host of sacred summons and troops. Depends how you play Bandar. If you play them as a bless nation then Arco isn't a good substitute.
Old September 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan_Frost View Post
Actually, after messing around in the Pretender screen for a bit, I've decided on MA C'tis. (if a veteran comes in and tells me this is an incredibly difficult nation to play then I'm happy to switch, of course )
MA C'tis is tricky because you always have to take into consideration your miasma dominion. Diplomatically people won't want to have their commanders and quality troops diseased in the process of attacking you but at the same time if your dominion starts to bleed into their territories they'll be unhappy. If you find excellent indie mages you'll have to find a place outside your dominion in order to avoid them being diseased.

Definitely check out the guides on this nation. Executor's has a good discussion on C'tis. And I'd run some test games and see how you feel about having to manage their dominion.
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

Groundworm is on a distinguished road

I like the sound of this game. I'm currently in the middle of my second MP game, with my third about to start up this week. I've also never played a MP game with EGD.

If you'll have me, I'd love to claim Shinuyama.

Thanks for hosting a newb-friendly game!

Groundworm
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

I would also like to try. So far haven't really done that much MP. More a SP player.

And while I don't really like the removal of gem gens in cbm 1.6, I do like the settings of this game.

Sign me up for Jotunheim. (Why is Ashdod out and Jotunheim in? Both are strong giant nations imho).
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Private

durecellrabbit is on a distinguished road

Yay, I can finally post, took longer than I expected. Just to confirm I'm durecellrabbit and I'd like Bandar Log please. Thanks for posting for me Calahan. I've been playing SP for about half a week and I'd like to try MP now.

Thanks for the detailed intro post Valerius, it was helpful.
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Corporal

DragonRider is on a distinguished road

I'll throw my hat into the ring for this. Honestly, I'm probably a bit too green even for this most newbiest of games (I've been playing for all of a week or so), but I doubt there will be a better time to learn the basics of multiplayer any time soon so I'm not about to pass up the opportunity.

The problem is that most of my already-limited experience is in the Early Age. I think Pythium is the only Middle Age nation I've so much as touched, and of course they were taken during my 12-hour validation process. So I guess I'll go with...Arcoscephale, maybe? I don't know my astral magic from a hole in the ground, but they seem interesting enough (even though I'm pretty sure I like their Early Age version better). Or possibly Marignon, if I can figure out a good Pretender build that goes well with them (I have a strong tendency to lean towards Titan-type chassis that can act as at least pseudo-supercombatants, but Marignon is just begging for an Enchantress rainbow mage or whatever, which I'm not sure I know how to make good use of yet).
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Major General

Default Re: Boot Camp - Newbie intro to Dominions MP - Full, design pretenders

Welcome Groundworm, Soyweiser, durecellrabbit, DragonRider! The game is now full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
Sign me up for Jotunheim. (Why is Ashdod out and Jotunheim in? Both are strong giant nations imho).
As much as possible I've tried to go with "standard" settings. So out of tradition Ashdod is out, Jotun is in (though I agree with you that Jotun is very strong). The toughest call was actually some of the globals that are frequently banned but I left them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durecellrabbit View Post
Thanks for the detailed intro post Valerius, it was helpful.
Glad to hear that!
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
The game is now full.
Uh, actually we need one more player. Apparently I have to work on my counting skills. Open for recruiting again.
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
I'll throw my hat into the ring for this. Honestly, I'm probably a bit too green even for this most newbiest of games (I've been playing for all of a week or so), but I doubt there will be a better time to learn the basics of multiplayer any time soon so I'm not about to pass up the opportunity.
Probably some of the players here are in the same boat. Since you'll keep learning about the game as it goes on the main thing to worry about now is expansion. The SP game is quite good for testing this. Start a test game with the pretender you have in mind and see how expansion goes. The faster your start, the better, but if it takes a few turns to get going and then all of a sudden you're taking 3 provinces a turn that can work pretty well. But if you've only got a handful of provinces at the end of the first year you won't have much room to expand since so many indie provinces will already have been claimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
The problem is that most of my already-limited experience is in the Early Age. I think Pythium is the only Middle Age nation I've so much as touched, and of course they were taken during my 12-hour validation process. So I guess I'll go with...Arcoscephale, maybe? I don't know my astral magic from a hole in the ground, but they seem interesting enough (even though I'm pretty sure I like their Early Age version better). Or possibly Marignon, if I can figure out a good Pretender build that goes well with them (I have a strong tendency to lean towards Titan-type chassis that can act as at least pseudo-supercombatants, but Marignon is just begging for an Enchantress rainbow mage or whatever, which I'm not sure I know how to make good use of yet).
Marignon is a pretty good substitute for Pythium. Not as strong, but you have decent astral and the same angelic summons available. I don't think they need an awake SC to expand so I'd save the points and go with the rainbow (a light bless, especially N4, would be nice).
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
As much as possible I've tried to go with "standard" settings. So out of tradition Ashdod is out, Jotun is in (though I agree with you that Jotun is very strong).
But EGD does make Jotun, or other giant nations, a bit weaker. The grendelkin kills any normal giant in one hit.

And Jotun has some problems in the endgame. (At least that is what I think, only good access to blood, no high death, nor high astral). Armageddon spam kinda ruins the nation. (as do utterdark and BoT of course).

--
And thanks for the large intro post too , it is very helpful.