.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 17th, 2012, 02:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road
Default 2 brand new scenarios from SaS TrooP's forge!

OK, today I am presenting you 2 another scenarios. After VRY long break form scenario designing I decided to release these two. They are still in beta phase and needs better betatesting, but right now: feel free to play them and comment!
Here is the description of both of them

Scen 275 HECTIC THROW
- describes meeting engagement between Somalia and Ethiopia during Ogaden War. Pretty tough one I think, but still complete able!

Code:
Hectic Throw*
Date: Early February, 1978*
Battle Location: Jijiga, Somali-Ethiopian Border*
Battle Type: Somali and Ethiopian meeting engagement*
Description: The Ogaden War is raging for a year now. After early successes and control of entire southern Ethiopia, the tide turns: coup d'etat in Ethiopia is staged. Mengistu Haile Mariam takes power and Ethiopia changes sides to Warsaw Pact. USSR decides to support Ethiopia as more promising partner. Now, support for Somalia is withdrawn and Somalis are retreating over entire front. 
Close to Somali-Rthiopian border, at Madra Pass, Somalis prepared defensive positions. A column of Ethiopian and Cuban troops is crossing northeast into the highlands between Jijiga and the border with Somalia, bypassing the SNA-WSLF force defending the Marda Pass. Somali desperately attempt to stop the flanking maneuver and thus, mixed Somali force is doing its best to prevent the breach at one of the local passes...
Notes: If  played against the AI the human player should take the Somali side.*
Source: Tom Cooper, "Ogaden War, 1977-1978" and others. This is semi-historical scenario: there were attempts to hold that flanking action and this scenario depicts one of them.*
Design by: Marcin "SaS TrooP" Kaluza**

And the second one...

Scen 276 HIT OF NO RETREAT - depicts fictional raid of North Korean Commando over South Korean missile facility. Came to my mind when SK announced they really dispose such a rocket and are testing it (earlier this year).

Code:
Hit Of No Retreat*
Date: 6th June, 2012*
Battle Location: Seoul Outskirts, South Korea*
Battle Type: North Korean commando raid vs. South Korean defence*
THIS SCENARIO HAS SPECIAL VICTORY CONDITIONS. SEE BELOW TO FIND THEM OUT!
Description: Recently, South Korea has developed a new type of long range mobile missile, allowing to hit targets in most of North Korea with conventional ammunition. This puts government in Pyongyang into serious problem, especially after failed space rocket launch same year earlier.
Even more: South Korea and their allies organized new manouvers over the DMZ. It is expected they are show of force or... West feels already threaten by North's actions and plans a proper reaction. Experimental long range missile may be used for probable attack and you must prevent it. Also, success in your mission can mean compromitation to South Korean Army and huge boost to our morale. Operation is risky: it can lead to direct conflict, but we are prepared for it.
Your objective is to assault the weapons facility close to Seoul, penetrate it and - at all costs - eliminate BOTH the missile itself and electronics of it in nearby bunker. You will be inserted by our AN-2 transport planes. Their size and possibility of low attitude flying makes them perfect unit to reach the base itself. Prior to your air drop, entire wing of our planes will eliminate as much AA systems as possible. In the meantime, other commando units will launch feints attacks in may other locations around DMZ. That should move potential air-interceptors and cause chaos in enemy HQ.
Company of our long range recon units is observing the facility for days now. Most of regular forces were moved towards DMZ in oder to take part in the maneuvers. Recon confirmed that probably reinforced company of reserve is guarding the base right now. All guard towers are always occupied. Local vilalges are guarded by military police. There is hardly any heavy equipment, but no data on static defences besides AA systems: at least a battery of 25mm autocannons defends the base itself and long range protection is ensured by 2 Patriot systems to the south (left side of the map).
Your objectives are as follows: primarly, eliminate BOTH the electronics bunker AND missile itself. Both should be located in the central part of the base. Then, there are 3 secondary objectives: somewhere in Administration building the commander of that facility is located. Eliminating him will provide us extra-propaganda success. Then, you can always strike Ammo Dumps to hit South Korean logistics badly. And finally, elimination of both Patriot missiles should grant us total victory.
And remember: you serve for the might of our nation. Current sitiation doesn't allow us to exfiltrate yo uafter the operation: try breaking to the north, towards DMZ (right side of the map), but if it is neccesary: kill till you are killed as well!
SPECIAL NOTES: Notice that the cost of your units is dramatically decreased, while your enemy's - not. This represents the suicide type of mission. You may take any casualties you like to achieve your victory. And now how he victory is set: 
You can follow the values of points. Missile and electronics bunker is worth 1000pts each. Enemy HQ is 300pts worth. Every ammo dump is either 150pts or 300pts. Each SAM Missile is worth 250pts. This gives you - in best calculation - a bit more than 4000pts and additional 200pts if you manage to flee towards DMZ.
You can also ignore the points and follow this data:
EPIC VICTORY: Primary and all 3 secondary objectives are achieved. Your force didnt loose more than half of the men and succesfully retreated towards the DMZ (5x40pts flags are under your control)
DECISIVE VICTORY: Primary and 2/3 secondary objectives are completed. At least 1/3 of your force escaped towards DMZ
MAJOR VICTORY: Primary objective is completed and either 2/3 secondary objectives are done but you didn't manage to escape OR any secodnary objective is completed, but you have evacuated at least 40 percent of your army
MARGINAL VICTORY: Primary objective is completed and some of your forces managed to escape
DRAW: Primary objective is completed, but you are all dead and no secondary ones
FAILURE: At all cases when all possible objectives are complete BUT BOTH missile and electronics bunker are still alive
Notes: If played against the AI the human player should take the North Korean side.*
Source: Fictional Scenario*
Design by: Marcin "SaS TrooP" Kaluza**

Both are packed into one .zip file. install into Scenarios folder of SPMBT.
Feedback requested!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Scenarios.zip (272.9 KB, 264 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post:
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2 brand new scenarios from SaS TrooP's forge!

Currently playing the first one,much larger than i like but i really love the ambush type battles,so could not resist,panhards are very useful
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

OK, have anyone played them after such a time and provide feedback? I would like to know what to change or what to improve etc.
Old November 16th, 2012, 06:55 PM

Private

Mesh is on a distinguished road

Just finished Hectic Throw as the Somalians. A tough and enjoyable scenario in my opinion, got a minor victory after some hard fighting with 9000 points against 3000. The Ethiopians lost some 800 men, 80 APCs and 30 tanks, so it's a sizable fight, but well worth the time investment.

Also, very good to see an original choice for subject matter. I would love to play some more battles based on some of the more obscure historical campaigns. Are you by chance considering making more scenarios about the Ogaden war?

About the only criticism I have concerns the Ethiopian forces that don't activate until later in the battle (the T-34s and the Cubans et al.). Since the player as the Somalians has use of a helicopter, it's easy to locate these forces way before they activate. I found this a bit illusion braking. Maybe they should be reassigned as reinforcements for the Ethiopians, only arriving on board on the designated turn?

So all in all: very good scenario, hoping you'll make more in the future!
Old November 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

Good to have an opinion finally! I generally wonder if scenario is not too hard and amount of enemies isn't just too big.
Still, I am now thinking about the issue with standing units. They actually appear on map as reinforcements, but when I was testing it I lost my chopper due to very lucky shoot as far as I remember.
I wonder if setting their reaction turn to proper one should solve that problem. Any ideas?
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:38 AM

Private

Mesh is on a distinguished road

I'm happy to give feedback, it's a fine scenario!

I wouldn't call it too hard, it's a tougher fight than most other scenarios I've played but that's very fine in my opinion. Also the historical situation was desperate for the Somalians at this point, so it fits thematically very well.

The amount of enemy units is just right, the battle felt like a delaying action just as it should.

As it comes to the sitting units, I have very little experience (read: none) in scenario design, I just enjoy playing them. But I'd think the units should be made to come in as reinforcements on the actual turn you want them to move against the player, because now they just sat there when I discovered them with the heli.

Hope you'll make more of these historical scenarios!