.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

ioticus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The next patch

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
quote:
Originally posted by dzbabi:
I think it is more important to make the AI better:
-Bulding Forts
-Building much more racespecific Units :-(
-Changing Tactics
Two problems with the "improve the AI" thing. One is that is a SoloPlayer-only thing which kindof drops it on the list (personally Im 95% solo player but I can see that this is true). Although the fact that it would improve the demo and maybe improve sales might give it some points it still doesnt seem to hit the fun-to-do list. Something might get done but I dont think it will ever be as much as we SP's want.

Well, I hope us single-player gamers don't get shafted again. I've seen this happen in too many games and I'm sick and tired of it
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:21 PM

Sergeant

fahdiz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by splooger:
Well, I hope us single-player gamers don't get shafted again. I've seen this happen in too many games and I'm sick and tired of it
Dominions II was designed from the ground up with multiplayer in mind. The fact that there's a fun singleplayer component is just icing on the sweet, sweet cake.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:44 PM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

Utgard should be all fixed up. There are a lot of other improvements as well. It'll be released as soon as everybody is sure there's not another problem like Utgard lurking in it, and since we've not been testing it for a full week even, that'll be a bit.

I can't talk too much about details, alas, but there are some heavily-requested things in it that should make people very happy.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:48 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Eeeeexcellent.
Support this good for the original was a major reason why Dom II was, if memory serves, the only computer game I've ever preordered.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:55 PM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

I certainly don't see any signs they'll ever stop working on it. It is obviously a very fulfilling project for Illwinter and company.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Psitticine:
I certainly don't see any signs they'll ever stop working on it. It is obviously a very fulfilling project for Illwinter and company.
I agree. The only thing that worries me is that I have seen projects like this get blown off by too much negative feedback. Feedback is good but Ive seen Devs just drop off because it seemed like no one liked it, and then the Users are all saying "oh but we really felt that the game was 99% excellent". Or they would say after the fact that their harsh words over things "broken" were really just meant as wishlist suggestions.

There are more ways to "pay" for the things you enjoy and support efforts to get more than by just dollars. All in all though THIS board has been pretty good at balancing praise and criticism

[ March 22, 2004, 20:05: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:39 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The only thing that worries me is that I have seen projects like this get blown off by too much negative feedback. Feedback is good but Ive seen Devs just drop off because it seemed like no one liked it, and then the Users are all saying "oh but we really felt that the game was 99% excellent".
hehe, I would not worry about that. Indeed, there is so much positive feedback in this forum that we should consider to reduce it a bit or the devs will most likely go megalomaniac.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:52 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinzMegaherz:
hehe, I would not worry about that. Indeed, there is so much positive feedback in this forum that we should consider to reduce it a bit or the devs will most likely go megalomaniac.
Too late.

Edit: Also megalomania is a helpfull trait for godgame design.

[ March 22, 2004, 20:56: Message edited by: johan osterman ]
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:58 PM

Come on, this coming from a guy whose avatar is a big head?

Lets get realistic folks!

Plus I thought swedes were already megalomaniacs by geography ;P

[ March 22, 2004, 21:00: Message edited by: Zen ]
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:40 PM

Sergeant

magnate is on a distinguished road

One thing I'd like to see in the next patch is a 2nd visit to the races screen, after the map is chosen. It shouldn't be too hard to do, and you don't even have to allow any changes on this 2nd visit (open to debate but whatever), but just show us what changes the map selection has made to the race selections. This would vastly simplify the use of user-made maps and scenarios, especially for SP. Good for MP too - maybe you could choose a different race if you really didn't like the map they chose ....

CC