BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 31st, 2017, 08:52 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Counter battery fire question

Since I frequently make USMC scenarios, and they rely heavily on close air support, and aircraft don't perform counter-battery, I frequently put an artillery/rocket battery in my scenarios and set it's reinforcement turn to 49 (the max possible), that's often longer then the scenario. It's a pretty good way to represent CB CAS missions being performed by a higher echelon HQ.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 31st, 2017, 10:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Neat. The versatility and sophistication of this marvelous game make it a gift that keeps on giving. Happy New Year Suhir!
Old January 1st, 2018, 02:00 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Counter battery fire question

Again Happy New Year!! Just wanted to make a quick comment from an earlier question on Pg. 3, I think you'll that almost all RL SP Arty can easily "Shoot-n-Scoot" and currently fire again within 5-6 minutes or slightly less. Towed arty with more modern field pieces (Because they are so much lighter now/purpose designed for it as well.) can do the same within ten minutes easily or less. Most equipment sites will bare this out as it's a now a considered evaluation point in the effectiveness of the piece most importantly of course in it's survivor ability for both weapon and crew.

Most of your more modern nations, I would think based on your opponent would use the above to their advantage with the rise of precision guided munitions that have become much more prevalent in the last 15 -10 years or so, vice digging in.

Some CB radar manufacturers are claiming they can identify/pass the targeting data/execute the fire mission within 3-4 minutes (Or less.). Not as safe an assignment as it might've once been being in artillery.

The following a quick example of many...
"Within 2 minutes the CAESAR 8x8 can fire 6 rounds and leave its position." from...
http://www.military-today.com/artillery/caesar_8x8.htm

I have found against the AI, that my CB when used given the conditions in the field, are normally very successful in that role. But I generally played long generated campaigns that will normally last 27 battles. I won't say more except that there's plenty of time to increase my units experience levels. But what's true for me is also true for the AI. But I feel the length of time involved is the key factor here. I'm just not seeing it as much of a random feature but, more along the lines that I can almost expect it to happen as the campaign moves along and sooner than later.

However if forced to shift my fire missions to support my units on the field, that seems to "break" that routine to where I won't have anymore CB opportunities for the rest of that battle somewhere just before or closer to the halfway point of that particular battle in the campaign. Those have been my experiences since I've started playing this game regardless of any changes to arty made in the "routines" in a given game patch.

Time and Experience.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; January 1st, 2018 at 02:23 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old January 1st, 2018, 03:55 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

What's "fun" is from time-to-time the AI will counter-battery one of my units that just fired a counter-battery on one of theirs. Never seen this go to a 3rd level tho, would be rather amusing if it did.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old May 29th, 2018, 05:00 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys; Sorry to raise this old thread but in my current MBT game I purchased 4 batteries strictly for CB which they have been doing a great job of (4x175mm). About 90% of the time when my opponent fires his batteries (130mmx6) I will get CB with damage, in all I have about 50 points of damage against at least. Now to the point: I searched the manual and no where does it say what the damage does to the target, and what it takes to kill a battery. When I did a phrase search of 'counter battery' it only appeared in the manual about 4 times, and nothing dealt with damage. Perhaps the next update could have something included?

By reading this thread I gather that it takes about 40 hits to kill a battery, and lesser can make the battery go offline while the crew cowers. Can you kill individual tubes of a battery, or blow up their ammo? I think in the old WAW version you could hit their ammo supply, but not sure.
Old May 29th, 2018, 06:32 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Counter battery is an abstraction. The points of damage count towards the points value of the battery - see the results screen and check the enmey forces after the battle.

It is possible to destroy guns - a message comes up saying so, if that happens.

Destroying all the guns of a battery, or doing 100% of its points value ion damage will kill it - a message will come up saying so if that happens.

However, its rare to do much more than kill a gun as a well-hit battery will often be in retreat status for a long while, so not firing and thus not receiving CB fires.

NB - there is no "old WAW" version of this game - WAW is another game developed by others and nothing whatsoever to do with us at Camo Workshop. This game is based on SP2.
Old May 29th, 2018, 09:53 PM

Sergeant

Thanks, that makes sense and should be added into the manual, just my 2 cents, I will pass it along to my opponent as he had no idea either. What is SPMBT based upon, SPIII? WAW is still a version of SP.
Old May 29th, 2018, 10:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

winSPWW2 and winSPMBT are a development of SP2. WAW was a development of SP3. They are all "a version of SP" but that's where the similarities end.

There was nothing in the GG explaining how CB worked because it took 20+ years for it to be an issue that needed explaining.

But to add to what Andy wrote...... the higher experience and morale of your CB batteries the more effective they are so in a long campaign your best batteries with the longest ranged guns would be the first choice to set aside for CB

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; May 29th, 2018 at 10:54 PM..
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:49 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Thanks, that makes sense and should be added into the manual, just my 2 cents, I will pass it along to my opponent as he had no idea either. What is SPMBT based upon, SPIII? WAW is still a version of SP.
Per what Don wrote, plus my two cents.

SPWW2 and SPMBT were built on SP2, SPWaW was built on SPIII. Only SPWW2 and SPMBT are in current development and are the best of any of the SP series of games, mainly because of Don and Andy's continued hard work for the last 18+ years on both SPWW2 and SPMBT.
Old May 30th, 2018, 03:17 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
winSPWW2 and winSPMBT are a development of SP2. WAW was a development of SP3.
That explains why I never liked WAW, my buddy had SP3 when it came out and I watched him play it once and said "not for me". I had SP1 and 2; geez, Sp1, you get a whole 20 units to play with. You guys have advanced the ball a long ways!

Last edited by Weasel; May 30th, 2018 at 04:11 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weasel For This Useful Post: