.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Vietnam Campaign Project
Notices

Old September 17th, 2017, 06:38 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Vietnam 10 part series on PBS.

The 10 part series (And 10 yrs. to make it.) on Vietnam starts tonight at 8pm EST. The documentary was directed by Ken Burns (Baseball & The Civil War) and Lynn Novick also a well known documentarian and looks like will be broadcast over the next 10 days. The show will be repeated in a "back to back" fashion. CBS News "Face the Nation" interviewed both directors this morning and is available online. The history will be shown with interviews from both sides of the issue whether from the field or politically etc. A couple of takeaways...

1.U.S. Marine: Very bitter ion the performance of the first models of the M-16 and personally "I hated them and I feared them. And the more I feared them, the more I hated them." that's a powerful statement.

2. NVA: After scenes showing U.S. combat troops smoking, he was saying how easy it was to track there movements and set up ambushes. They simply followed the cigarette butts in the jungle.

3. NVA: We watched propaganda movies of the protests in the U.S. and were told we were winning the war because their society was collapsing. Many of us felt the opposite, how strong they were because they allowed the protests. Something we would never have been allowed to do.

You might be able to watch it on PBS.org outside the U.S.

You might find out something new here as so many classified documents have evenly more recently been released.

The Official Trailers:
https://www.pbs.org/video/remember-uavfm1/
http://www.pbs.org/video/vietnam-war-extended-look/

Here's the link and they are showing it as well.
http://www.pbs.org/

THE LINK WORKS, tested it a couple of times.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; September 17th, 2017 at 07:04 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:52 PM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Vietnam 10 part series on PBS.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've watched all ten episodes over the last couple of days. A very comprehensive and at times deeply harrowing account of the war.

I personally don't think we can do enough to thank that generation of young men for their service. To their country and the rest of what was then the free world.

The segment about the wall in the last episode was really very powerful.

Last edited by RecruitMonty; September 28th, 2017 at 09:04 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RecruitMonty For This Useful Post:
Old September 29th, 2017, 04:22 PM

Sergeant

redcoat2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vietnam 10 part series on PBS.

They started running The Vietnam War here (the UK) on Monday. It is being shown on BBC 4.

It is also available in the UK on catch-up TV - including BBC iPlayer on the Internet: link.

Last edited by redcoat2; September 29th, 2017 at 04:41 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redcoat2 For This Useful Post:
Old September 30th, 2017, 09:29 AM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road

They are running it in France and Germany too on the channel Arte. Albeit with close to 30 mins worth of content missing from each episode, because, typically, some genius decided that the schedule could not be altered to accommodate the full running time of each episode.

I'd stick to the full length versions in English, my German and French friends.

But, for the record, here is the mutilated version of the documentary as well:

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/RC-015017/vietnam/
Old September 30th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Lieutenant General

Fallout Re: Vietnam 10 part series on PBS.

I appreciate the effort from the folks out here to "carrying the word through". I can assure you, that you'll learn one or two things you didn't know about the war and find the U.S. Presidential recorded phone and other conversations revealing as well. The inner workings and politics of the North Vietnamese also very enlightening as well.

Thanks to all for the "word".

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old October 1st, 2017, 02:32 AM

Lieutenant General

This should wrap it up for me for this topic. Just finished watching the last chapter myself-very powerful as RecruitMonty pointed out.

Anyway, PBS in the U.S. to rebroadcast a Chapter every week starting this Tue. Oct. 03, 2017 @ 9PM EST over the next 10 weeks.

Take Care and Thank you all again!

Regards,
Pat

Old October 19th, 2017, 07:40 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road

Excellent doco; I am very happy that they are actually telling the North Vietnamese side of the story instead of just the U.S.A. version.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 04:43 PM

Sergeant

redcoat2 is on a distinguished road

I’ve watched seven episodes of the series so far and they’ve been fascinating.

I see that the President has just awarded the Medal of Honor to Ret. Army Capt. Gary M. Rose who served as a Special Forces Medical Sergeant in Vietnam.

Video

Captain Gary M. Rose

https://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/rose/
Old November 5th, 2017, 03:35 AM

Lieutenant General

I received feedback last night from a retired military couple who I told about the following. They wanted to thank me for the information you're about to receive below, as they passed it on to their son and daughter who are both military veterans. The son in particular was very grateful for the information as he was wondering how was going to afford Christmas for his three children. Now he'll be able to do it. It made my night.

So I hope this doesn't cause me too much grief, but when I'm in the "gate keeper" mode I'm finding out that after 11 months, not many of you honorably discharged (Non-Retiree.) veterans are aware that your honorable service is finally being recognized in a tangible way that you deserve and will hopefully save you money (Duty Free.) by shopping at the online Navy Exchange and AAFFES websites ONLY.

You can register on either site, I recommend scanning your DD-214 to my pictures, as you will be required to upload that document as part of the registration process.

Again Military Retirees need not apply. You should already know you have the option to use the on base or websites already. I wouldn't have posted the last if I hadn't already been asked about it.

Thank you all for your service and sacrifices (This includes the rest of you from the many countries represented as members as well.) in serving. We are now the "less then 1%'s" in this country. Hope this helps you out here and your friends as well. Below is the official DOD Press Release.

To my Marine friend-get shopping!!

The programs starts this Veterans Day on a permanent basis.
https://www.defense.gov/News/Article...20to-veterans/

Can't leave without a couple of Vietnam era music videos...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CHiUN8XTWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXrEPNvRO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyDQ...DQs0ajxEc&t=56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knFyyAhdTwo

Thank You and good night!!

I don't want your thanks, I just want to use what you've earned and pass it along.

Regards,
Pat Conklin USN/SS Ret.

Probably should've put this in my other thread or started a new one-SORRY!

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; November 5th, 2017 at 03:48 AM..