This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 7th, 2000, 06:17 AM

Sergeant

jars_u is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tech tree/combat

Yes, the ships have mine layers. Getting them to deploy the mines is not a problem - however I wish there was some way (is there?) to deploy them into the "Square" you want them to go. But, my real question is can mines be used outsdie of combat? Meaning can you mine a warp point, planet etc. BEFORE you enter into the same "space" as another race and before combat begins so that any ships that attempt to pass though that mined area risk being damaged. Say like - when your ships enter into the same sector that has a black hole. Your ships always get damaged when moving through a system with a black hole - I want to be able to mine a square and any enemy ships that pass though it face some % of hitting them and taking damge and I guess that % can be less if a ship or ship in that fleet has a mine sweeper.
Old August 7th, 2000, 06:19 AM

Sergeant

Yes I know I mentioned this before. But, I just want to state again that I would REALLY like to see a tech/tree map that is easier to understand and find specific items of technology on then the one included in the original demo. Anyway... thanks for listening to my .02
Old August 7th, 2000, 08:12 AM

Sergeant

Grumbling Grognard is on a distinguished road

I am not sure exactly what you are asking...

But the ONLY way I have been using mines is strategically. Basically mining the hell out of warp points into my systems.

It appears like mines will explode/work until either all the mines are gone or all the offending ships are gone. I don't think you are assured a hit with each mine though (I supposed it is like in tactical combat where the enemy ships are assumed to fire on the mines and get some of them).

I have found mines next to useless in tactical combat. IMHO, they are a strategic weapons.

------------------
The Grumbling Grognard

I never could understand how an animal could gnaw it's own leg off... Then I got married -- Henny Youngman (King of the One-liners)

God said to me: I'm gonna kick your *** 'cause all you do is ask, ask, ask! -- Ian Hunter
Old August 10th, 2000, 12:02 PM

Private

Machetti is on a distinguished road

hm. i haven't toyed with mines yet, but i might be able to help clarify the question. what command (interface button, whatever) do you use to lay the mines? 'drop cargo' didn't seem to work. is there a 'lay minefield' or do you need to use a launch button or something?

to answer one or two of your other questions, yeah, there are boarding parties and fighters in the demo. i've researched them and fiddled with the construction of them, though i've never used them. (i whip up on the computer too hard, so by that time i'm just researching to pump my score.

when you start a new game, one of the options somewhere about new races is 'tech level' if you set that to the top, then you start with all the tech available in the demo, and can at least look at all the stuff you've been missing.
Old August 10th, 2000, 02:07 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Mines are deployed the same way that satellites or fighters are deployed: The "launch/recover units" button. Mines cannot be recovered, though, only self-destructed. I agree that mines are really a strategic map weapon. You can drop them in combat but they are vulnerable targets. They just sit there and anyone can see them, and so shoot at them. You have to "run into" them to get damaged. Maybe in the full Version there will be more options for mines that make them more practical on the combat map.

[This message has been edited by Baron Munchausen (edited 10 August 2000).]
Old August 11th, 2000, 04:58 AM

Sergeant

Yeah, thats what I did finally just started the game with the tech tree turned on with all the levels maxed out. It is a good way to see everything that is in the game or at least the demo, although it could be structured a little better. I finally did figure out that you had to deploy the mines to get them to work but was still wondering about recovering them but, now I know they can only be destoryed.
Old August 11th, 2000, 11:10 AM

Private

Machetti is on a distinguished road

hm.
what about mine sweepers? can they pick them back up? or do they effectively detonate the mines?

guess i could go try myself...
Old August 11th, 2000, 04:37 PM

Sergeant

Grumbling Grognard is on a distinguished road

Mine sweepers are just more effective at destorying mines.

I have been using mines quite a bit and I just put'em and leave'em. I have never really wanted to pick them up yet.

------------------
The Grumbling Grognard

I never could understand how an animal could gnaw it's own leg off... Then I got married -- Henny Youngman (King of the One-liners)

God said to me: I'm gonna kick your *** 'cause all you do is ask, ask, ask! -- Ian Hunter