This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 20th, 2000, 01:50 AM

Private

George is on a distinguished road
Default Is is me or is something wrong?

So here I am playing my second game with a xenophobic warrior spider race bent on enslaving the galaxy, except for one small problem. You see, in the 20 systems I have surveyed ( and the 6 I have claimed) EVERY SINGLE PLANET and Asteroid has only 1K in M/F/R. Except for my 3 homeworld, there isn't a dirtball in the galaxy with more then 1k in resources!

So did I :
A) Find a bug
B) Find a "feature"
C) Have some option enabled that's giving me the wrong information.

Any one have ideas?

Just in case it matters I choose the "Finite resources" option in the race creation screen.

George
Old August 20th, 2000, 04:56 PM

Corporal

wingte is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is is me or is something wrong?

[quote]Originally posted by George:

Just in case it matters I choose the "Finite resources" option in the race creation screen.

The Finite resources does just what it says,, limits the total resources available in the galaxy. Make s a lot of dirt worthless dirt balls. This is in keeping with some theories that very few worlds are as "rich" as ours and that most of the universe is made up of juck..

------------------
Wingte
Old August 25th, 2000, 05:42 AM

Private

Fionn is on a distinguished road

Are you sure about that? It was my impression that turning on Finite Resources merely limits the amount of each resource available on each planet, as opposed to scattering a certain amount of the resources among the various planets.

I think the former idea would be more realistic, especially if the amounts available were proportional to the production rates of the planets, i.e. if a planet with 120% mineral production rate could be mined for twice many minerals as a planet with a 60% mineral production rate. Come to think of it, possible twice the percentage bonus equaling four times the potential might be even more realistic.

I think a great way to go would be to have the production rate go down as the planet is mined (or farmed or its radioactives are refined . . . ) This would represent quite nicely the way resource production would go down as the easier-accessied areas are tapped out. IOW, if you mine x amount of resources from a planet and its production rate will drop a percent or two.

It might be more reasonable to weight the amount needed to diminish the production bonus by planet size, since a larger planet would tend to have larger amounts of easily accessible elements due to its larger surface area, and so forth. It seems rational that, even if its heavy elements are nicely scattered about on the surface (and thus it has a nice high radioactive production bonus), a tiny planet would simply be exhausted faster then a giant one. This may already be included in the calculations that set the production rate percentage modifiers, but that doesn't seem to be true based on what I've seen so far.
Old August 25th, 2000, 02:29 PM

Private

Narlotep is on a distinguished road

I thought I read somewhere that the remote-mining/farming of asteroids is subject to this type of steadily reducing returns?

If so, then it seems it would be easy to apply the same to planets.

BTW, I also remember it saying somewhere that only one vessel can work each asteroid field...is that one of each type of remote or only one of any type?
Old August 25th, 2000, 06:04 PM

Private

Jeb is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that right now the finite resources option is buggy. The general idea is that planets eventually run out of resources, but they are supposed to start with more than 1K worth. I've never tried a finite resources game, but I've seen a workaround posted, which IIRC is to restart the game, select finite resources, but then not generate a map.
Old August 26th, 2000, 12:25 AM

Private

Fionn is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Narlotep:
I thought I read somewhere that the remote-mining/farming of asteroids is subject to this type of steadily reducing returns?

If so, then it seems it would be easy to apply the same to planets.

I finally got around to trying remote-mining and you're right - the production bonus does in fact go down as your ship works. It does seem like it'd be simple enough to add that code to planet handling when the Finite Resources option is turned on.
Old August 31st, 2000, 01:27 AM

Corporal

Darwin is on a distinguished road

The Beta Testers have stated that the finite resources is bugged and does that.

If you don't click generate map it will work fine though.