The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:02 AM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stargate SGC Conflicts In Space Star Fury Mod is now available for download

Thanks for the comments and feedback Campeador! I am glad you're enjoying the missiles. They are actually my favorite wep in the mod too.

Thanks for the timing formula. That would save time as I had to do everthing by testing each job out and coming up with the numbers manually.

Thanks for reporting about the mission text being cut off...I can reduce the amount of text to fix that.

You're right I could change the job of “Return SG-2 to Beta Site planet in the Beta Site system that still shows in progress until you reach the Beta Site since I have mission text that reads "SG-2 is now safely aboard. Take SG-2 to the Beta Site Planet in the Beta Site system. General Hammond wants to speak with you at the Beta Site Planet SGC conference room)" I guess I just wanted the player to make sure he knew where he was going if he did a save game and came back to the mod the next day or 2 and couldn't figure out where to go. That was a major annoyance I had playing the SF stock game...trying to remember where to go when I came back from a previous save from the previous day. That's why I made a lot of missions with text to expalin where to go after each Job, or sets of jobs were completed. Both the jobs and missions from the job text and the mission text show up in the mission box to help the player along...and by using missions I could still have 3 jobs at once plus use a mission to have 4 total in the "mission box".

Thanks for the info about the SF search and destroy bug..the 300 radius...I will change the allied ships jobs from planet to planet or warp point to warp point depending on the situation. The allied ships are usually a job that says "to continue even if says fail", set at a small days number but it will be better to have the allied ships involved earlier in the battles by how you mentioned. This should help the allied ships become "smarter" and more involved while still placing the many ships in different parts of the system to avoid ship collisions and game slow-downs from too many ships in one area. (a SF limitation as well)

Campeador, your insight into everything is very helpful. I appreciate the feedback from you and Baron Munchausen and I will make a version 2 when you guys have completed the mod. This mod took me 1 years & 3 months to make so hopefully I will have some time to "re-charge my batteries" to make a ver 2 and test and then release.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:56 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stargate SGC Conflicts In Space Star Fury Mod is now available for download

OK, I've played through the Replicator missions. That is a lot of stuff to destroy. Especially all of those systems in a row. I don't think it's balanced at all. You might want to break these missions up somehow instead of having them all in a row. Maybe insert the first Atlantis mission in the middle? It's an excuse to go back to Earth for a bit. And then award the cruiser when the player gets back from the Atlantis mission? The more powerful ship would also help with those very challenging missions.

And since the "Replicator systems" are given the Asgard color, I take it that means these were conquered recently by the Replicators? So why are they called "Replicator systems"? Shouldn't they have regular names like the other Asgard systems?

The powerful Asgard ships that are supposed to help tend to go into a corner and keep patrolling that corner. Sometimes you can lure a Replicator ship into the corner where they will attack it. But usually they just sail back & forth doing nothing useful. Maybe Campeador's suggestions could help you improve their patrol behavior. Failing that, I think many more of those deployable SGC ships would be a good thing to make those missions manageable. I resorted to setting myself invulnerable and ramming the planets just to get things over with.

I had noticed the mission text getting cut off, too, but was more concerned with game mechanics on a first play through. I'll try to go over the jobs file and give you a complete list of typos and possible sentence improvements.

BTW, I've been told to deploy "Tealc's special fighter" a few times but I've never had one in my cargo. How is that supposed to appear?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM

Corporal

I knew the Replicators would be hard for you to destroy. They are a harder enemy than the Besarians that you mentioned had been difficult for you. The way I defeat tham is to keep engines at 100%, while firing, dodging enemy weps and repairing. BTW you are not playing on expert level are you? I normally play on average level and can complete all the missions without cheats..and I consider myself an average to good player. (I remember playing Campeador's mods and sometimes it took me about 20 times to complete a mission correctly. It's not taken me near that many tries with my mod.) Maybe you should try easy level.

Teal'cs F-302 Fighter has the same bmp pic as the other F-302 fighters. Teal'cs Fighter component title, description are different. Also Teal'cs Fighter strength/attributes are considerably better than an average F-302 though.

I appreciate all your feedback. I hope your enjoying playing the mod.
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM

General

It's not that the Replicators would have been impossible to destroy without cheating. It's that they would have been impossibly tedious to destroy without cheating. As I said, four systems in a row of Replicator combat is too much. I've progressed through the 'liberator of the Jaffa' phase where various Goa'uld were destroyed -- again -- and now moved on to the Atlantis part of the campaign. Have you considered splitting this entire thing into some smaller parts? Anyway, when I reached the second series of Replicator missions I decided to take a break. It's definitely off-putting to think of four more systems with Replicator planets needing to be destroyed. I hope when I get around to it the 'NPC' fleets will be active enough to carry most of the fighting. Or maybe I'll edit the game files to reduce Replicator technology a bit.
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Corporal

When I made this mod, the hardest thing to do was to make the difficulty level appropriate. I personally thought most of the misions were somewhat easy with some being more difficult. But what' easy for me may be hard for someone else and what's hard for me may be easy for another player. When I made this mod at the request of my 9 year old son, I made it to where we both would be able to play and complete the missions. My son and I had no problems with the mod. That is a good idea if you want to modify down the Replicator Ships/Components for your play and/or you can play on easy level as I mentioned before. Campeador's suggestion of using planet to planet instead of search and destroy in the job files is a great idea. I have tried it out in a couple of missions and it works really well. It seems to "increase the AI of the NPC ships" and make the mod even easier to play. I will definately include this in my version 2 release as well as some other things. As far as breaking my mod into smaller chunks, I wouldn't be interested in doing that. I mentioned before that my mod is quite possibly larger than the 3 original stock campaigns combined. You just can't finish it over one weekend...it's just not possible. My suggestion is for you to spread it out and play a little bit each day or so since when it's over, it's over. I am not making anymore Stargate mods to follow this one..nor do I want to spend the time changing the missions all around. (takes massive amounts of time to make the missions text/display text and so forth...so try and enjoy what took me 1 year and 3 months to make. BTW I don't think you've mentioned one positive thing you've like about the mod.

Keep the posts coming. Thanks.
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:47 PM

General

It's hard to figure out what you "like" about big, complex games until you master them. And anyway, I'm not really a fan of the Stargate universe. Maybe if I were a Stargate fan it would be less tedious to fight so many replicators. Flying a Trek ship, or a Babylon 5 ship, would be fun of course. Anyway, I've finished with the replicators now, making good use of the deployable frigates to speed things up, and have now met the Ori. Something odd is happening with their ships. It looks like even normal weapons are occasionally skipping their shields and armor and destroying them much more quickly than should be possible. But I can't figure out how that might be happening.
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Corporal

That is odd what you mentioned about the Ori ships. I've never encountered that before. I just checked the Ori Motherships again and they are working fine..nothing is skipping shields and armor. Did you mod your weps to skip shields and armor? The Ori Motherships are actually some of the toughest ships in this Stargate universe. I made them use crystalline armor and repairs the shields at 0.64 shield per point taken plus their ship's basic attributes are really good too. What I see when I'm playing is the Ori Mothership's shields being recharged very quickly after you attack their ship. I made it that way on purpose. The Ori are a very worthy opponent when my son and I play the mod. You don't have as much ally help and you must rely on your kick a#$ Cruiser and your fleet frigates. The Ori fighters are really tough too. I most enjoyed the Ori battles. Do you have the same experience each time you fight an Ori Mothership?...and what weps are you using?...did you mod any weps to bypass shields and armor?
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM

General

OK, I played the first battle over & didn't learn anything new. But while playing the rest of the Ori battles I noticed the same thing. The Ori motherships seem to always get damaged in their rear armor/shields much too quickly. It was when I heard that 'klaxon' sound used for ships blowing up and couldn't find anything blowing up that I realized what was going on. When the Ori motherships launch fighters, they aren't moving fast enough for the fighters to clear and they hit and damage the mothership. And that's why the klaxons were sounding all the time. Ori fighters getting destroyed on launch. It was the regeneration powers of the armor replacing the rear shields that made it harder to figure out what was going on.

This might be another problem caused by my using a slower computer, or it might be something you can see for yourself. Either way, I wonder if there is a way to adjust where launched fighters appear? Is there a 'launch point' just like there is a 'firing point' for a weapon?
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:25 AM

Corporal

I've not encountered that problem before. When I fight an Ori Motherships, the fighters are released in a normal fashion with the Ori Mothership and fighters intact on release. It is usually a hard-fought intense battle. It may have something to do with performance issues with your PC (ram, cpu or graphics card.) I really dont know, though. There is no way to Mod a different release point for fighters. You could mod your copy to have the fighters removed from the Ori Mothership...Would still be fun just not as intense of a battle.
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:53 PM

General

OK, I finally finished it. Like I said, the Stargate universe is not of particular interest to me, so I can't comment on how 'authentic' it seemed. But it was nice to have some different ships than the original SE/Starfury models flying around. The models alone must have been quite a bit of work. Most of the problems are limitations of the game itself, such as fighters constantly hitting their mothership and damaging that instead of going on to attack the enemy. Much of the mission text and dialogs needs to be edited by someone who speak English as a first language, though.