.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 1st, 2019, 09:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ts4EVER scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts4EVER View Post
These are all in the new patch now, so don't download them anymore!
As always, feedback is very much appreciated, even if it is just to show that someone actually plays these...
Yo Ts. Already played what are now scenarios #526 and 527 (Counter Attack at Dawn and Into the Valley of Death). Both are rip-roaring defensive battles which test a player's skill in adapting to off-beat setups, unconventional AI waypointing and clever reinforcement timing.

Was a bit miffed that in Counter Attack the Brits start out 280 points in the hole from four lost Shermans in the previous battle (Highlanders at Gerbini, #525) but that's cool. Had I been more meticulous in checking LOS, along with practicing greater care in gobbling up distant objectives I wouldn't have lost five (!) more Shermans to settle for an MV. Valley of Death was kinda hairy at times but still managed to wait out the Russian steamroller to recover lost VHs at battle's end.

Playing #525, Highlanders at Gerbini (bass ackwards to Counter Attack chronologically, but who cares?), right now on Turn seven. All is well so far although it's too bad those 3-inch Mortars can't provide much support beyond the Germans' crust in front of the farm complex. Had this problem in a Brit LC; couldn't upgrade them to the longer-range version until early '44.

Also no engineers for this assault. Tough. Got enough regular squaddies to discover mines and such one way or anothe other. Anyway it promises to be the usual challenging, entertaining, and at times frustrating sort of battle that players have come to expect from your bag of martial tricks.

Hope this encourages you to create additional imaginative scenarios and campaigns for this wonderful game that may outlive us all. Cheers and thanks for everything!

Last edited by jivemi; October 1st, 2019 at 10:00 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post:
Old October 1st, 2019, 01:27 PM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you liked them.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 05:33 PM

First Lieutenant

I used the christmas / new year pause to make a new scenario. It goes in slot 826. If someone is already using it, tell me and we will figure something out.

This is a pretty complex and tricky scenario, so plan in some time if you want to try it. Terrain was done with the Venhola tool and the forces are very close to the real thing.

Quote:
Stugs in the twilight

Finland
vs.
Soviet Union

Date: 15th of June, 1944
2245 Hours

Designed By: Ts4EVER

Background: Having thrown in their lot with Germany in the continuation war, the Finns faced Russian invasion in 1944. To prevent the Russian from breaking through, they relied on a succession of defensive lines, one of which was called the VT line. On the 12th of June, 2 days after their attacks had started, the Soviets had reached the VT line in several places. The 109th Rifle Corps was given the task of breaking through the VT Line at Kuuterselkae, supported by the 1st Red Banner Tank Brigade, the 185th Separate Tank Regiment, 98th Separate Tank Regiment and the 1222nd Assault Gun Regiment. Once the artillery fire lifted at 0830 on the 14th of June, the Russians penetrated the Finnish trenches, seizing Kuuterselkae by 1200. Elements of the Finnish 3rd Infantry Division withdrew in disorder. Faced with the decision between giving up the compromised defensive line and scratching together a counter attack force, the Finnish commander chose the latter option.

Briefing: You are in command of Battlegroup Puroma, consisting of the three Jaeger Battalions (JP2, 3 and 4) of the 1st Jaeger Brigade, as well as the Assault Gun Battalion. This unit is equipped with German-made StuGs, but not completely up to strength. Your task will be to start the counter attack with the first assault gun company and JP4 in the vanguard. The other battalions and the rest of the vehicles will arrive on the battlefield later. In part due to ammunition shortages, artillery support is limited, but a bombing run has been planned to support your assault. The attack will start late in the evening at 2245, however, due to the short arctic summer nights, visibility is still good. Your orders are to advance south along the Liikola - Kuuterselkae road in order to swiftly attack and seize Kuuterselkae and restore the Finnish lines.

The Russian force consists mainly of the 14th Rifle Regiment. This unit has been fighting at the VT Line all day and will have suffered casualties. They are supported by T34s from the 185th Separate Tank Regiments, but other tanks and assault guns from neighbouring units may have been brought up.

Note: The scenario begins in media res: Your assault guns have just surprised a Russian advanced tank unit on the road to Kuuterselkae. Destroy them quickly, then use the element of surprise to push on. After you overcome the initial Russian line, you will start to lose the element of surprise and their resistance will stiffen significantly. Also expect counter attacks from bipassed or scattered units in the forest, so secure your lines of communication!

Historical Scenario, designed to be played as the Finns.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

HISTORICAL OUTCOME: As the sun rose after the short night, it was clear that the counter attack had failed. After the initial surprise attack, the Finns faced increasing numbers of enemy tanks, heaviest artillery fire and determined Russian resistance. This included the stand of Lieutenant Colonel Korolev, whose 120mm Mortar unit was bipassed by the Finnish assault guns. Undeterred, he started to gather stragglers, including tanks, and launched counter attacks on the Finnish rear. The Russians also used a battery of 122mm field guns over open sights in order to stop the Stugs. As the dust settled, both sides had suffered heavy losses: The Finns had lost 5 Stugs destroyed and 3 more damaged out of their 22 vehicles. In return, they claimed to have destroyed 16 T34s, 3 SU76s, 1 KV1 and, for the first time, 1 IS2.
Attached Files
File Type: zip stugsinthetwilight826.zip (125.6 KB, 90 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ts4EVER For This Useful Post:
Old January 6th, 2020, 07:37 PM

Major

Thanked 1,053 Times in 619 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

Fun scenario. It required a lot of smoke and maneuver to get a DV.

I noticed a few odd things that may need attention. Russian formations E,F U, and V stay put and do not attempt to retake the V vexes near them. Same with the ATRs near the bottom of the map. Speaking of which, I did not know the Russian had this many ATRs in their entire army!

I took out the mortar crews and their accompanying units so I don't know if they would have moved if I had ignored them.

I had more causalities due to failed close assaults then I have ever experienced before. The Finns must try really hard when the commit to a close assault.

Thanks for making these.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetLT For This Useful Post:
Old January 7th, 2020, 09:04 AM

First Lieutenant

Hi,
thanks for the feedback! I set most formations to just defend, because in the past I often felt like the AI left good positions at inopportune moments. The mortar crews will counter attack after a certain turn (21, I think), unless you destroy them before.
Old January 7th, 2020, 03:33 PM

Major

I stumbled into the mortar crews while trying to be sneaky by making a flank attack.

I ran into a few of the others but I pulled back to the road afterwards.

I had no idea of the others until after the game was over.
Old January 7th, 2020, 03:35 PM

First Lieutenant

You mean the ones in the forest, right? I guess I could make those go active towards the end, although that might make the scenario even harder. Generally these troops in the forest are supposed to be the surprised screening force of the Russian rifle division. They had their morale lowered because they fought all day and didnt expect Finnish armor. So I am 50 / 50 on if I should let them counter attack.
Old January 8th, 2020, 12:08 PM

Major

I would suggest having them do so late in the game otherwise they may not ever see action.

When I encountered some of them I pulled back to the road.

I left garrison units by the v hexes (units too chewed up to proceed) but a player who does not may experience the historical results.
Old January 8th, 2020, 12:09 PM

Major

Yes, the ones in the forest to the left of the road.
Old January 8th, 2020, 03:38 PM

First Lieutenant

Ok will change that then. There will be a new version on the weekend with these difficulty adjustments, as well as more historical commander names.