.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 30th, 2010, 09:22 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Torches in the Night: MA, Newbies (>5 mp games) only, CBM 1.6 [6 slots open]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juffos View Post
Or you could start white-knighting even when obviously not required.
Obviously not required? Your derision towards dark7element's game idea is what wasn't required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juffos View Post
I think my post was more informative and helpful than yours.
Right, here's the predictable attempt to pretend that your posts were attempting to do anything more than be obnoxious. Sorry, not buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitti View Post
There. Another meaningless reply to a meaningless reply about a meaningless reply in a hilarious thread.
Are all recruitment threads hilarious? Or maybe just the ones that vary from standard settings? Or maybe just the ones that vary from standard settings and are posted by a new player? Yes, that sounds about like the kind of target you'd aim for. But hey, we do agree your replies are meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitti View Post
dark7element, just use cbm1.7.
Right, use CBM 1.7 (is it still beta?) - not CBM 1.6, or vanilla, or your own mod. Because Quitti says so. Laughable.

The amusing thing about JuffosQuitti is the synchronized posts. It almost makes you think they're one person, using one position to feed another in the games he/she joins. But maybe the sad truth is they're just so close they even troll in tandem.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Corporal

dark7element is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Torches in the Night: MA, Newbies (>5 mp games) only, CBM 1.6 [6 slots open]

When I saw another 8 replies, I thought I'd finally gotten some players joining. Imagine my dismay when I found out what it really was.

Apparently my ideas have not gone over well. I'm going to just forget about the special rules and make this an ordinary CBM 1.7 game.

Is strength 7 independents + one extra starting province really that weird? If noone wants to play that, I guess I can change to standard values.

Last edited by dark7element; December 1st, 2010 at 12:13 AM..
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:31 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Torches in the Night: MA, Newbies (10> mp games) only, CBM 1.7 [6 slots open]

Man, You make your game ANY way you want it...It is YOUR game and if someone doesn't like the way you set it up, they can play somewhere else.

I made a game one time that I said no one could go in or cross water for any reason, and then used a map with a BUNCH of water. Everyone screamed and yelled and when it was all over....

The ones that wanted to play did and we had a pretty good game, because the guys that played WANTED to.

Don't be intimidated, but do listen to guys that are actually going to join your game, but keep to your original idea. If no one joins, then that tells you maybe your idea wasn't that good at that time.

C'mon guys, give the new guy a break
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

Korwin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Torches in the Night: MA, Newbies (10> mp games) only, CBM 1.7 [6 slots open]

My reason for not joining (besides my first 3 MP games) is CBM (dont care for the number).

I find it interesting that the other two newbie games I play that got organisized (relativly fast) on this page are vanilla.
Honestly CBM looks like something for an old (dont want to say veteran ) player, who knows the game in and out and want some change for the sake of change alone.

For newbies who struggle to learn the basic game? I keep to vanilla until that gets stale, but since I found the game <2 months ago, that should'nt be in the near future.
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:33 AM

Corporal

dark7element is on a distinguished road

First of all, the thread title was misleading. I've changed it. Anyone who has played fewer than 10 games is welcome to join.

When you look at what changes CBM actually makes, I think you'll find that they are much more pro-newbie than anti-newbie.

I would never want to play a long campaign with vanilla, because you're forced to engage in hefty micromanagement. You have to spend upwards of half an hour shuffling around dwarven hammers, skull mentors, owl quills and such every single turn. Most new players either don't know how to do this effectively or get tired of it quickly.

CBM also attempts to make the various military units more balanced. This helps prevent new players for being de-facto penalized by building underpowered units because they don't know any better.

Lastly, CBM's restrictions on dowsing rods is a desperately needed nerf for blood nations. I'll admit I haven't PLAYED many multiplayer games, but I've read numerous AARs and played a lot of singleplayer. A "properly" (big scare quotes) set-up blood economy is as tedious as it is overpowered, the worst possible combination if you ask me.

CBM isn't a 'specialty' mod. It isn't designed to fundamentally change the game mechanics. It doesn't add or remove any nations. The only purpose of the CBM is to make the game more balanced, and reduce micromanagement. How is THAT bad for new players?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dark7element For This Useful Post:
Old December 1st, 2010, 01:55 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer View Post
Man, You make your game ANY way you want it...It is YOUR game and if someone doesn't like the way you set it up, they can play somewhere else.
This man is speaking the truth, as much as it pains me to admit it.

Though, a few pointers. Ulm is not overpowered. Not in any era. Not with any currently existing widespread-usage mod. Indes 7 is fine. 2 starting provs is fine. CBM 1.6 over 1.7 because of ulm is not. "honor system" of limiting items is not - you could just as well make them unique with a small mod and it'd be much more easy. Elephant rushes are not overpowered, especially with CBM.

Also, it's the general rule of the internet: "Bash the newbie who is/seems to be clueless about thing x". It's not like dominions would be an exception. Only place I know that is friendly to the newbies is the dom irc channel, and that's when Sombre and Jurri are either drunk or absent.

There. Constructive criticism. Now then.

Quote:
Are all recruitment threads hilarious?
Some. Not all. This one was.

Quote:
Or maybe just the ones that vary from standard settings?
No.

Quote:
Or maybe just the ones that vary from standard settings and are posted by a new player?
No, vets can be idiots too. I'm sure you've noticed some around.

Quote:
Yes, that sounds about like the kind of target you'd aim for. But hey, we do agree your replies are meaningless.
Yes.

Quote:
The amusing thing about JuffosQuitti is the synchronized posts.
Must be the mentality. We've both grown up on the harsh grounds of DEM INTERNETS.
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

Korwin is on a distinguished road

Since I didn't get into late play in MP by myself, I cant really argue if or if not CBM is more Newbie friendly.
(I sub for Abysia in an CBM 1.6, but didn't get there by myself.)

But you are reinforcing my argument actually ;-)
Without late MP-Game experience, how should Newbies know that its to much micro for them?

And to be honest, Clams and Hammers aren't to much micro for me in SP.

As for the Balance, my understanding of CMB is, that CBMis not trying to Balance the game, but to make underused 'things' more attractive. (not the same - and while I didn't took a deep look into CBM, I'll take the easy way and belief Frank Trollman and His arguments when he says "not balanced")

As to your last point.
How does it not fundamentally change the game?
If it took a nation out. I would'nt notice it, as long as it was not exactly the nation I wanted to play.
But the changes from CMB all over the place?
Where I have to learn the game from the beginning again?
(Might not be the case. Newbie speaking here. But thats the impression I get.)

I'll stop derailing you thread now, but you now at least know why I didn't sign up.
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM

Sergeant

Juffos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
bunch of male bovine excrement full of ad hominems

Check the OP now, Ulm isn't bashed anymore, Ashdod is banned and casting Gale Gate won't be a suicide. My post had the exact effect I intended.

But how have you contributed to the thread? You have done nothing but caused reasonless drama in this thread which should be dedicated to setupping the game and recruiting players, not flaming them. And yet still you try to pile the responsibility onto me. Have you no shame?

I think we will soon see Godwin's Law in effect
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:25 PM

Private

Xerxes2504 is on a distinguished road

Hey there,
I would really like to join, hope you dont mind, since this would be my very first mp-game.

I would like to play:

Shinuyama, Land of the Bakemono
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:58 PM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korwin View Post
And to be honest, Clams and Hammers aren't to much micro for me in SP.
Just to jump into the bandwagon once again - if this is the case, you are not using them correctly. Or then you like micromanagement over everything else.

Good luck with this game, thugs seemed to win this round again!