.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:04 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Vet Team Captain Needed!

Sure sept. Each team will either be Team A, Team B, Team C, or Team D.

Each team then pics a nation according to the schedule below. Team A pics first, then b, etc.

1. Team A
2.Team B
3.Team C
4.Team D
5.Team D
6.Team C
7.Team B
8.Team A
9.Team D
10.Team C
11.Team B
12.Team A

Advantages: 'Fairer' less likely to be subject to whims of luck.
Teams more likely to be evenly distributed.

Disadvantages: Weaker AI's.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:50 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Vet Team Captain Needed!

That would work also, if it is done from ranked lists, and it would be the same way we did it in NvV3. But if it is done by waiting for an individual post it would take forever.

Only problem with the method, since one team must go first, it gives team A an effective first choice, and gives team D two picks in a row. Though, your right, it would be less subject to luck.

However, if we go with my method, luck is reduced somewhat, since we have 4 teams, it is less likely than having say 2 teams, that all 4 would have the same picks each time.

So lets decide, which method do the rest of you prefer, chris' suggestion or mine?

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; September 23rd, 2009 at 01:58 AM..
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hoplosternum is on a distinguished road

I like Chris's method although it will take some time. It will also allow people to theme/coordinate their team more. As they will know what they have for their first pick before they make their second. And see how the other teams are forming.

But it does take longer of course.

I would not worry too much about the AIs. Popular choices are likely to be those with good Thugs and Mages which the AIs will use badly rather than good troops that it will use well. Plus a lot of boosts can be given by map commands. Gandalf could start each with 100 of their best troops (or indeed any type of troops from any age) or more. Plus some kitted out Thugs etc. Which should boost them at the beginning at least.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:35 AM

Captain

Immaculate is on a distinguished road

Hi,
If you need a newb, i would like to try.

Immac.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immaculate View Post
Hi,
If you need a newb, i would like to try.

Immac.
Welcome Immac. Yes, we can always use more noobs and intermediate level players to fill our alternate slots, unless you have a preference I am going to assign you to the Mysterios, as an alternate.

You may be called into the active lineup before the game starts if a slot opens up. Otherwise you can expect action if someone needs a sub or drops during the game.

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Frankly, I am disappointed that no one in the community has the time, or the courage, or the desire, to fill the vet team captain position in our game. Nonetheless, we've waited long enough, done what we could, and now we must move on to the nation selection process.

Therefore, following Arch's advice, I am making the following team changes:

I am moving PsiSoldier to The Blessed Ones, and promoting him to the captaincy of that team. Psi, please choose your nation ASAP and register for the forums if you wish to use them. Psi and Executor, you'll either need to change strategies or forget what you've discussed.

I am moving Frozen Llama to the intermediate slot on the Mysterios to fill Psi's vacant slot.

I am also moving Shard to Noobheim's alternate slot to compensate for the loss of Frozen Llama as an alternate for that team.

We should now be able to move on to the nation selection process. If you've opinions/questions regarding this process, now is the time to express them.

Thanks.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
We should now be able to move on to the nation selection process. If you've opinions/questions regarding this process, now is the time to express them.
The captain selects my nation for me, correct?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:37 PM

BANNED USER

Maerlande is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Nation Selection Underway.

It sounds fine to me to get started that way. Frankly, I don't have an opinion on the selection process. It's too new to me. But I'm itching to play
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgaeNymph View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
The captain selects my nation for me, correct?
If we follow chris' suggestion, and If I understand it correctly, yes, the captains would do the nation selections via posts on this thread (in consultation with their team of course) in the alternating manner chris described in his last post. ABCDD, and so forth. I am assuming that team A would be the mysterio's and would go first (after psi makes his choice of course), team B would be the Deva's, team C would be the Blessed Ones, and team D would be Noobheim.

If you'd prefer my method or another one, now is the time for everyone to speak up.

Chris, if this is not what you had in mind, then I apologize and we will await a fuller explanation.

DrP, Executor, Psi, make sure you understand and are OK with what has been suggested.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Nation Selection Underway.

Let each captain send a list (as I have) of their Prefences in order.

Ie., perhaps mysterious absolutely wants to pick first to get Hinnom. They would might tell you they want to be team A. And if they can't get A they want B, then C then D.

Another team may choose to be D, A B C.

You as the admin take those suggestions - and then resolve to give the result closest to their best choice.

Then let the picking begin.