.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 29th, 2009, 10:33 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LA marignon guide

Well I'm just not going to quote any of you then.

ru⋅in
   /ˈruɪn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [roo-in] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
6. something that causes a downfall or destruction; blight: Alcohol was his ruin.
7. the downfall of a person; undoing: the ruin of Oedipus.
9. the act of causing destruction or a downfall.
11. to bring (a person, company, etc.) to financial ruin; bankrupt.
12. to injure (a thing) irretrievably.

Here's what I'm getting at. Unresistable Blood Curse. Awake SC pretender? Ruined. High cost, low number, high bless Sacreds? Ruined. Mages casting -any- kind of Evocations? Ruined.

You're going to pigeon-hole him into only using cheap disposable troops, and once you can do that, you are leading the dance. Even if you lose the war, he is the victor, but is still ruined.

I guess I seem to remember that someone said Horror Marked units aren't visited outside of combat - even so, it wouldn't take too much trickery to get his valuable commanders Marked.
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:08 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

None of the above are ruined.

screen with archers.
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

I'm ok for the B and D blesses being not-that-good, having a mage of that power in that path highly compensates for this imho. Like an high F and W mage might not be that great but the bless is worthy.

What I don't get is Air
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifone View Post
What I don't get is Air
Well the beauty of the high D or B pretender, is that their collateral benefit is gained through Rituals, safely cast back home. With Air, most of your later game benefit from the path, is going to come on the battlefield. Some nations' armies can become obscenely powerful if suddenly supported with Fog Warriors, or Mass Flight.

I actually had a powerful army (as MA R'lyeh) with 20+ member communion absolutely decimated, by AoE casting Mass Flight on about 100 Slave Warriors, and sending them straight at me. All of my mages blew off their evocations at the slaves, killing droves of my own men (and some of my own mages!) with friendly fire. We were in bad shape once the enemy line got to us.

And Chris, that's silly. Obviously using B9 Flags as a deterrent would be a pretty expert tactic (if it even worked at all), and your tactics would revolve around deploying the hazardous cargo to their targets.

I think the only real problem, is that even if were not resistible, the effect would still likely be too weak to make a really profound difference.
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:28 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
And Chris, that's silly. Obviously using B9 Flags as a deterrent would be a pretty expert tactic (if it even worked at all), and your tactics would revolve around deploying the hazardous cargo to their targets.

I think the only real problem, is that even if were not resistible, the effect would still likely be too weak to make a really profound difference.
?

That's what he just said. None of the above are ruined. Who cares about a few random curses and horror marks. If you want to be pedantic that's cool, but "absolutely ruin someone in early/mid game" to me doesn't mean "curse some of their units as you lose horribly".
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Come on, you've got to admit they'd at least be as effective a deterrent as the Judean People's Front crack suicide squad. Suicide squad, attack!
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:09 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

f9 would ruin more things.
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:03 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
That's what he just said. None of the above are ruined. Who cares about a few random curses and horror marks. If you want to be pedantic that's cool, but "absolutely ruin someone in early/mid game" to me doesn't mean "curse some of their units as you lose horribly".
Well we can run this whole thing around in circles, but I said could absolutely ruin someone. As in, the potential would be there, if it were non-resistible. Unfortunately, then I was hit by the reality of the preemptive nerf bat, and I realized that if the implementation were changed, that it just wouldn't Horror Mark severely enough. However, the potential is there in game mechanics, that if Illwinter so chose, there would be a Horror in the cards for any commander to kill 10 major Blood blessed sacreds.

Maybe it's highly unlikely - I just thought it was a cool concept, and I fail to understand why people want to argue about a random imagining.