Notices

Old November 15th, 2016, 09:55 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SPWW2 handicaps vs AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
(1). Z fire can only happen when the unit has direct LOS to the target hex, which means it's very similar to directed/targeted fire. This way, a unit that does Z firing is not immune from being Op-fired by enemy units. Exception to this rule would be when there's a smokescreen, or technically, non-terrain obstruction of LOS. I'm pretty confident everyone on both sides can agree on this..

No. With that you could not set up "beaten zones" with HMG's beyond LOS or through smoke and that is a perfectly legitimate way it can be ( and was ) used
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old November 15th, 2016, 04:44 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

I never encountered a situation where a sub-unit would 'Recon by Fire' or apply 'covering' or 'suppression fire' without approval/coordination by their higher command. Even if it was just a nearby Platoon Leader yelling 'shoot the wood line'. Along with the noted slowing of offensive 'tempo' of an action by employment by such a technique...

What if z-fire:

1. Uses 2x movement per shot.
2. Unit has to be 'In Contact'.
3. Adds a point or two of suppression to the firing unit.

This would reduce the total individual amount of Z-Fires while reflecting some of the complications of utilizing this technique. While seeming to be more a PBEM issue it would also lessen a bit of the Human advantage over the AI in regards to Z-Fire.
It would help make Z-fire something you have to do in certain situations, not something you would prefer to do, much like a real world area fire.
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:40 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Its more the players that are at fault when it comes to choosing who Z fires, LOS is fairly restrictive to what you can Z fire at.
Improving would probably take serious work. Other serious work option as people liken it to artillery would be to plot them all at the start of the turn on a bombardment screen. Press go & all Z fire occurs no more allowed that turn.
Takes it out of players hands to an extent as you cant see the result & stop.
Old November 15th, 2016, 08:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
(1). Z fire can only happen when the unit has direct LOS to the target hex, which means it's very similar to directed/targeted fire. This way, a unit that does Z firing is not immune from being Op-fired by enemy units. Exception to this rule would be when there's a smokescreen, or technically, non-terrain obstruction of LOS. I'm pretty confident everyone on both sides can agree on this..

No. With that you could not set up "beaten zones" with HMG's beyond LOS or through smoke and that is a perfectly legitimate way it can be ( and was ) used
Don, I said there's an exception to the rule regarding smokes

But that doesn't matter anyway since Andy declared the code would be impossible. As I understand it, Z-fire is a derivative of "Scatter fire", i.e when you use Targeted fire sometimes there's stray shots, that stray shot is "Scatter fire" which is then developed to become the Z fire feature. As Andy said, there's now way a "Scatter fire" could care about terrain features.

But wait... wait! If Scatter fire doesn't care about terrain, then why there are times a Z fire can't be done on area of different terrain elevation? You press Z fire and the circular icon appears & disappears? Maybe there are ways it can be done?

Ah.. this wishful thinking...
Sorry for bothering the developers.
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:16 AM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road

I restrict z fire to only mg's and pillboxes and only when they are defending. This is for fixed firing lines. As the previous poster said otherwise it is too much like instantaneous artillery. I think it should not cause a unit any more suppression than pinned.