.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:47 PM

BANNED USER

Merry Jolkar is on a distinguished road
Default bitter pill to swallow

My VQ supercombatant rushed home to wipe out an army that threatened my home city. She entered combat, killing off about 50 of the enemy, with full hit points and zero fatigue. No way she could be beat, right? Wrong: almost all were retreating, except one, who hit her (slightly), and she RETREATS. Well, all the surrounding lands were owned by enemies, so she died retreating. And, since the sieging army was not fully wiped out, her immortality was short-circuited! Bottom line, she was about to win the war, when she retreated. I must confess that I like this possibility -- it's like cutting the ring off Sauron's finger in LOTR. But, shouldn't retreating rules be revised, so that this sort of absurd thing does not happen? A similar issue is that your SC can't go into an area with 1 defense, because the sole other commander will be killed off, and the SC will retreat. It strikes me as a kind of odd brittleness in the rules that should be fixed in the next patch or ver, no?
Merry
Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:50 PM

Sergeant

Cheezeninja is on a distinguished road
Default Re: bitter pill to swallow

I thought immortal commanders were supposed to never retreat in positive dominion? Unless the game took into account the fact that it was your home territory and she was no longer immortal if she lost.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:07 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezeninja:
I thought immortal commanders were supposed to never retreat in positive dominion?
Where'd you get that silly idea? The only thing special about immortals in friendly dom is that if they die they pop back up the next turn in your capital, saving you many turns of having to pray for your god to resurrect (which is what happens if your immortal dies outside of friendly dom).
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:11 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

no. immortals are not supposed to retreat when in friendly dominion; but it does seem likely that the occupation of her capital vitiated this somehow.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:15 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by Arryn:
quote:
I thought immortal commanders were supposed to never retreat in positive dominion?
Where'd you get that silly idea? The only thing special about immortals in friendly dom is that if they die they pop back up the next turn in your capital, saving you many turns of having to pray for your god to resurrect (which is what happens if your immortal dies outside of friendly dom).
I believe i got it from the board actually, since i can't remember any other hard source of that information. I have seen it in action more than once, where an immortal commander would stick around even after all troops had retreated because he was in positive dominion.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:15 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by archaeolept:
no. immortals are not supposed to retreat when in friendly dominion; but it does seem likely that the occupation of her capital vitiated this somehow.
I've seen immortals retreat in friendly dom. If this is a bug, it's been around a while. Given that Merry's capital was occupied, as well as surrounding lands, there's a good chance that there wasn't positive dominion in the capital at the time of the rout check.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:17 PM

Corporal

Inigo Montoya is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
quote:
I believe i got it from the board actually, since i can't remember any other hard source of that information. I have seen it in action more than once, where an immortal commander would stick around even after all troops had retreated because he was in positive dominion.

I think this is also a tip that is displayed while awaiting turn generation.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:18 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've seen immortals retreat in friendly dom. If this is a bug, it's been around a while.
Immortal units will retreat while in friendly dominion. Immortal commanders are not supposed to. An easy way to test this is to take your starting wraith centurion with Soul Gate, and have all your troops killed off by independents. The centurion will not rout, and will fight to the death.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:27 PM

Sergeant

aha! I knew i saw it somewhere. Thanks for relieving that little itch at the back of my mind.

[ July 22, 2004, 18:27: Message edited by: Cheezeninja ]
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:45 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya:
I think this is also a tip that is displayed while awaiting turn generation.
According to the compendium of tips at Sunray's site, you're correct (and I'm wrong). Be that as it may, I've seen it happen, so there's a bug somewhere that can crop up.