.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old October 7th, 2005, 06:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Idea: Graphics database

You might have noticed that some units look better than others. As an example, the Infantries of Ulm have a barely identifiable crescent on their shields, while Sappers have much more detail, and the shielded units of Black Forest theme have a beautiful blue shields with a clear crescent on it. Similarly, Reveler wears ragged furs, other Satyrs have less detailed clothing. This is because many sprites come from Dom 1, in which the sprite size for half that DomII uses. The increased size was a dremendous graphics update, but of course, there are still hundreds of units with old graphics. I have improved Ulmish graphics. It was surprisingly easy to copy-paste the new, better-looking shield over the old one. I haven't done much more than that for the cause, though. And what little I have done, is hard to find.

Wouldn't it be great if people with artistic talent could post their graphics somewhere, for other people to browse, find and use?

I don't know how that would be accomplished, but the idea seems too good to pass by. This forum, of course, isn't a very good place. It would be hard to find anything from here. A simple compilation of graphics shared as a zip/rar file would work, but it would also be a little awkward. For a searchable database, we would need bandwith, hosting computer and someone doing the site.

I can donate all the graphics I have made/ripped from the game, slowly and painfully, by copypasting, with MsPaint and few times using some automated features of Gimp. My surprisingly large collection includes mainly Ulmish units, some with improved/changed graphics, some recolored Vanheim sprites, and few new-looking units created from e.g. Horse Brothers by removing the horse. Also, I know how to copy graphics out of the game using only MSPaint (provided legs/weapons don't cross the frame of the picture in unit description window). I can write a guide on this, and have in fact already got the screenshots to accompany it. There is probably a need for other simple guides.

Is there a need for this? And is the need big enough? Which artist/modders can be contacted to ask if their graphics can be shared through this? What kind of implementation would be doable? Would you do anything for the cause? Does anyone have a free Dominions-related domain and some experience from creating websites?