Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Thunderstrike - what am I missing? - Page 3 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 6th, 2011, 08:11 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thunderstrike - what am I missing?

So the argument of paying more up front but earning your money back and more in kills over time doesn't work for you, I take it :P If your mage is killing 100g of enemy units per battle, then it doesn't take long at all for the mage to earn its cost back. And upkeep is cheaper to pay for than the cost of hiring new units all the time. Mages allow you to spend less money on continually hiring new units to do the killing by doing the killing of a decent number of troops every turn, with little risk to the mage.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old August 7th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

If you want to run a communion of thunderstrikers, try this set up:

8 Pythium Theurges: com master, thunderstrike x4
Any random A2 mage: Wind Guide, spells
16+ communicants (auto communion-slave casters)

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old August 7th, 2011, 09:23 PM

First Lieutenant

jimbojones1971 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestyMan View Post
did you try aim?
Pardon the stupid question: what is aim?
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

They're talking about the level 1 Alteration spell, Aim. It improves a few units' precision.
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpeters View Post
I measure it as gold cost for mages vs. skipping magic altogether and just hiring more troops. Obviously that's a fail for any long term strategy, but I expect to be out of the game long before L9 spells are being tossed around anyway.

So my thunderbolt slinging Theurgs have to convince me they're more valuable than a squad of principes.
Even in the case of battles alone that doesn't work very well. A squad of principes suffers from significant attrition in basically every battle, mages hidden at the back don't. Granted, neither do small scale hydra squads and such (unless it is a battle you lose), but the mage is basically worth principes and their replacements for as long as the mage survives. When you look at the sort of kill counts these mages get, in troop cost alone they usually pay for themselves.

On a side note, there is also the matter of being able to turn mages into much more temporary thugs that will suffer attrition at higher rates, but be more more dangerous while they last. Mistform and a series of Shock Waves can do a lot of damage to an enemy army.
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

So let me post a strategy I found fairly effective, and maybe this will help explain why I consider other strategies comparitively ineffective.

MA Tien Chi
80xImperial Crossbowmen -- 1000 gold
8xImperial Geomancer -- 640 gold
1 astral pearl - eq 50? 100 gold?
20 PD - 210 gold

So depending on how you add it up, this is equivalent to 2000 gold, or a 200 troop army.

First 6x geomancers scripted to: Communion Slave, hold, 3xGift of Heaven
Geomancer #7 scripted to: Communion Master, Summon Earth Power, 3xhold
Geomancer #8 scripted to: Communion Master, Power of the Spheres, 3xhold (he has the 1 pearl)

The result? 54 meteors plowing into the enemy ranks -- the bigger the opposing force, the more effective, but I imagine this would also do a reasonable job against elite forces, thugs, and SCs. Meanwhile, the crossbowmen supply additional damage to cause routing, and hold up reasonably well in melee combat.

What other combinations can obliterate 100 or so enemy troops of an opposing force before they have a chance to reach your troops, using only 640 gold worth of mages, only one gem, and without causing significant collateral damage?

Last edited by krpeters; August 9th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: correcting details
Old August 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM

Corporal

Louist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpeters View Post
What other combinations can obliterate 100 or so enemy troops of an opposing force before they have a chance to reach your troops, using only 640 gold worth of mages, only one gem, and without causing significant collateral damage?
If you don't mind a little collateral damage, I had an Eagle King go from 0 kills to 240-odd kills and catapult to the top of the HoF by a single casting of Wrathful Skies