.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old August 31st, 2011, 04:21 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nations - MA, CBM 1.6, max lvl 6 magic, NI, Assimilation mod - Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olm View Post
I told you it was a bad idea to bring your troops into my backyard. No way they could live very long, or be really effective.
A small annoyance for me and a great cost for you.
I'm not yet ready to say it was a waste. It foolish of me to try storming that fort instead of moving on. But providing some kind of distraction strikes me as a good idea as any forces you use to deal with it are forces that aren't on the frontline (I assume you've finished researching).

Quote:
I am much more satisfied with my raiders. Stealth really helps in raiding, and I guess I cause much more annoyance with those rather small groups, than you did with your large army.
I would have done the same thing but never had an opportunity to infiltrate forces as I was spread too thin. In any case, I think your troops are better raiders and you have good, cheap mages to back them up.

Quote:
And talking of annoyances: That castle in Giants Rest is really annoying. I know it must be a huge effort for you and it binds lots of troops, but still I would rather conquer the province.
Is there any spell that helps besieging, like Iron Walls for the besieged? I guess not...
Well, without autosummoning maenads I can't create the kind of virtually unbreakable forts Pan otherwise could but between summoning them and buying harpies I can make things difficult.

As far as spells to aid sieges, Crumble would work in a normal game but that is a higher level spell that was modded out for this game. So aside from massing troops like you're doing, the best bet is siege bonus magic items or something like the draconians you summoned.
Old August 31st, 2011, 05:52 PM

Sergeant

Olm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nations - MA, CBM 1.6, max lvl 6 magic, NI, Assimilation mod - Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
As far as spells to aid sieges, Crumble would work in a normal game but that is a higher level spell that was modded out for this game. So aside from massing troops like you're doing, the best bet is siege bonus magic items or something like the draconians you summoned.
Yes, I figured those would be a good idea.
Next you will see hordes of slingers rush in. Just saw that I can recruit them for resource 2, so with my huge income I can really mass them, to counter your meanads.
The cheap guys will decide the siege.
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM

Sergeant

Could we postpone hosting for 24 hours? I am a bit on the way tomorrow and don't know if I have the time to finish a turn.
And shouldn't we be on a 72h schedule anyway?
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:34 AM

Major General

You're quite right. We've been moving at such a good pace I forgot to change it. Hosting interval is now 72 hours (which also extended the current turn by 24 hours).
Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM

Private

buzzsaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
So, I went from having an army devastated by magma eruption to having one devasted by thunderstrike. Knew I shouldn't have tried to storm that fort but kept moving instead.
I told you it was a bad idea to bring your troops into my backyard. No way they could live very long, or be really effective.
A small annoyance for me and a great cost for you.
I am much more satisfied with my raiders. Stealth really helps in raiding, and I guess I cause much more annoyance with those rather small groups, than you did with your large army.
Talking of stealth: I wonder where your glamorous friend is.I don't see you standing a chance against Ulm and Man without him for long.
And talking of annoyances: That castle in Giants Rest is really annoying. I know it must be a huge effort for you and it binds lots of troops, but still I would rather conquer the province.
Is there any spell that helps besieging, like Iron Walls for the besieged? I guess not...

Btw: Those diseases in Retha are caused by a plaguewater stream. Not so nice.
Glamorous help is on the way. You should have seen a hint of them by now.
Old September 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Corporal

Louist is on a distinguished road

I'm making the transition from college to university this month, and my schedule isn't nearly as open as it was. I'll probably be sending in turns much closer to the deadline than before, but I'll make sure not to miss any.
Old September 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM

Major General

I just realized I forgot to change the hosting interval to 72 hours when we hit turn 40. I've now made that change so that should help.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Sergeant

Wow, Eriu is fielding a really dangerous looking army.
Nice battle in Griphons Spire, so we have to take them into account after all.

Pan has taken to poisoning civilians (Man and Pangaean alike) instead of fighting it out. But this cowardly tactics will not bring them victory. We will hunt down those poison spreaders and come for the leaders behind those deeds afterwards.

Now I have some questions to game mechanics:
1. Flying units should not be able to enter water at all. How could Pan take a waterprovince with a Harpy?
2. What happens to a mercenary with twiceborn after he dies (e.g. from disease)?
3. What happens with mercenary troops if the leader dies from disease?
4. What happens with mercenary troops if the leader teleports away?
Old September 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM

Major General

Quote:
Wow, Eriu is fielding a really dangerous looking army.
Nice battle in Griphons Spire, so we have to take them into account after all.
Yeah, that was a fun one to watch. The trend of all the exciting battles taking place in Arco's former territory continues to hold true.

Quote:
Pan has taken to poisoning civilians (Man and Pangaean alike) instead of fighting it out. But this cowardly tactics will not bring them victory. We will hunt down those poison spreaders and come for the leaders behind those deeds afterwards.
Bah, Pangeans are made of hardier stock than Man. We recover just fine from a little illness.

It's funny that you had that illness causing site earlier in the game and suspected bane venom charms as that was one of the strategies I came up with when I switched from Eriu to Pan. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well when I try to sneak them into your territories since patrollers discover them but I'm hoping it makes besieging my forts even more of a painful process.

Quote:
1. Flying units should not be able to enter water at all. How could Pan take a waterprovince with a Harpy?
Just think of them as being like ducks. But there is no restriction on flying units not being able to enter the water as long they have either the amphibian tag or a water breathing magic item.

Quote:
2. What happens to a mercenary with twiceborn after he dies (e.g. from disease)?
Hmm, never thought about that before. I ran a test and it looks like twiceborn works as usual but he's still a merc so if you lose him to another nation they will then have the twiceborn wight mage.

Quote:
3. What happens with mercenary troops if the leader dies from disease?
4. What happens with mercenary troops if the leader teleports away?
I know from a previous game where I teleported a merc mage without remembering that he had troops under his command that the troops get separated from him. It's annoying because you can't assign them to another commander so they are stuck in that province and can't even be scripted.

I assume the same thing happens if the merc leader dies while he is still under contract.

Last edited by Valerius; September 14th, 2011 at 04:43 PM..
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Sergeant

Quote:

Just think of them as being like ducks. But there is no restriction on flying units not being able to enter the water as long they have either the amphibian tag or a water breathing magic item.
Well, flying units cannot fly over waterprovinces, so I thought they cannot enter them. So with the right magic item they can enter and probably even fly over them.

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, never thought about that before. I ran a test and it looks like twiceborn works as usual but he's still a merc so if you lose him to another nation they will then have the twiceborn wight mage.
Hm, had hoped to have a wight mage for myself then. But I would really be interested how he looks like in the merc list.

Btw. is there a way to get full control of a merc?
I am quite sure I had a game in SP where a merc commander was suddenly a member of my own forces. but I don't know if that was some intended effect, or a bug.